Fundraiser for a Friend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI for everyone, there are several bits of good news on this front! First, it's been really successful and brought in more than I ever expected, and the upshot is that the kid is going to have a warm home through Christmas and January, so he's got some solid time to pound the pavement hard looking for extra income and with lots of places hiring seasonal help, odds are better.

Also, I talked with Larry at Pipe & Pint today, and we're going to video the drawing at their shop. Tobacco blender Pete Pike is going to tell a joke or two and it will probably be pretty ridiculously silly. In even better news, Pipe & Pint is going to throw in some extra incentives as prizes! Larry is going to look around the shop and see what he can put in for extra goodies, like tampers, some of their house blends, etc. So, rather than it being a hundred guys in the drawing for one pipe, now it will be a hundred guys in the drawing for a pipe and second, third, fourth place winners, "honorable mentions", etc. I don't know exactly what he'll be putting in yet because he's going to pick out some stuff today or tomorrow, but I'll post when the extra prizes are set.

So, all in all, thanks much to those who have participated and helped out, it's made a difference, more donations are still welcome, and now there are even more prizes to win. The news is all good. :cheers:

TreverT":rgy4o60x said:
FYI for everyone, there are several bits of good news on this front!  First, it's been really successful and brought in more than I ever expected, and the upshot is that the kid is going to have a warm home through Christmas and January, so he's got some solid time to pound the pavement hard looking for extra income and with lots of places hiring seasonal help, odds are better.  

Also, I talked with Larry at Pipe & Pint today, and we're going to video the drawing at their shop.  Tobacco blender Pete Pike is going to tell a joke or two and it will probably be pretty ridiculously silly.  In even better news, Pipe & Pint is going to throw in some extra incentives as prizes!  Larry is going to look around the shop and see what he can put in for extra goodies, like tampers, some of their house blends, etc.  So, rather than it being a hundred guys in the drawing for one pipe, now it will be a hundred guys in the drawing for a pipe and second, third, fourth place winners, "honorable mentions", etc.  I don't know exactly what he'll be putting in yet because he's going to pick out some stuff today or tomorrow, but I'll post when the extra prizes are set.  

So, all in all, thanks much to those who have participated and helped out, it's made a difference, more donations are still welcome, and now there are even more prizes to win. The news is all good.  :cheers:
Yay! Having been in a similar situation in my life, I understand his ordeal. But I didn't have awesome pipe people to help me. I'm glad you and the community came through for him, and pray he finds more than just "extra income". Also, I'm exited for the drawing :joker:

I want to step in here briefly and make an administrative comment.

We do have a policy about functions being approved by the mod team before allowing them to happen. We noticed this thread right away and were lax in discussing it promptly. Normally we'd lock or remove such a thing until we decided if it was appropriate. I think we just kind of let it slide because of Trevors rep in the community and because of the good nature of the intent of the event. However, in the future, as we have done in the past, if anyone is going to promote or operate any kind of fund raiser or similar function it has to be presented to the admin team before it will be allowed. It's not for concieted reasons, it's because of liability in case things go south, and because we have rules that we mods have to follow as operators of the forum per the host/forum owners conditions.

Yeah, like I told someone today by PM, I feel bad for putting you mod guys on the spot with this. I should have contacted you first and gone through channels. The thing is, this was pretty much an emergency when I found out about it so I was rushing to try and get some cash coming in for the guy as fast as possible, and didn't think it out in advance enough. It was just, "OK, he needs money for back rent MONDAY", that kind of deal.

(As an aside, this is another reason I'm doing this. I mentioned earlier that I would not be pouring everyone's money away if I thought the kid would blow it on drugs or drink. In the same vein, he doesn't tend to talk about his problems and is usually pretty private, not a guy that is constantly in crisis or whining, so when I did finally find out how bad things were, the situation was already pretty far along)

I appreciate some of the messages of support I've gotten too, and I really hope no one is thinking the mods are being hard-asses about this. Fundraising and scam artists are practically synonymous, unfortunately. :x All you have to do is look at how Kickstarter has evolved/devolved, from, "Here's a chance to buy stock in a new product with these assets and this potential", to "I wanna be an artist and don't want to have to work a day job, send me money." I've got a blog on Tumblr and am regularly kind of amazed at how many people have "Donate" buttons on their sites that are, you know, not actually FOR any cause, just for themselves... "I refuse to support the capitalistic system by working, please send me your money", and that kind of crap.

Anyway, my apologies that it became something of a minor flap, but my thanks to both the mods and all the supporters for letting it carry on.

Awesome Baragon stuff....

Well it's actually pretty juvenile, but eh, I love it anyway, sometimes we need the kid in our heart rekindled a little bit. Lol

I jumped in too. I normally shy away from these things but it seems like a great cause.

It's cool, a loophole allows pipe people that find other pipe people unrelated to doing some cool sh*t out there can post about it if they want without worry... I had your back unwittingly a day later, TT.  :lol:  :heart:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t28827-this-is-why-pipe-smokers-are-my-kin

Hope the fundraiser goes well.  :cheers:

8)

More fundraiser news - I'm going to be closing it up tomorrow, so if anyone else wants to get in a ticket, you have till tomorrow after lunch! I'll be driving over to Pipe & Pint to shoot a little video of the drawing. Pipe & Pint IS going to be tossing in some extra prizes but they're still sorting out what, so I don't have an official list.
Here's the donation link once more:

http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/bretagne-catalog/14141lb.shtml

Brewdude":j6sxerpp said:
Cool. Can't wait to see what was raised for the recipient!

:bounce:

Cheers,

RR
I don't have an exact total but it's well over $1000 so far. I'm pretty amazed at the turnout. All I was hoping for was maybe $300 so he could catch up on back rent and not be thrown out on the street. A grand still won't go all that far in this day and age, but at least it's a boost applied at a crucial time. I'm hoping it will be enough of a lift, both financially and emotionally, that he can take it from here. I know how wearing it can get when it feels like you can't catch a break... and can't catch a break... and then your car breaks down. :x

Pretty good turnout for a good cause...thanks TT for letting us get to make someone else's life a little better.

pepesdad1":7i5rifzz said:
Pretty good turnout for a good cause...thanks TT for letting us get to make someone else's life a little better.
Thanks very much to all of you for helping out! Annnnd... now you get to watch me make a fool of myself on video :lol:

As threatened, I went by Pipe & Pint this afternoon and, with Emily as our faithful cameraperson, Pete Pike and I made a video of the raffle drawing for everyone who helped out with our fundraiser this week. Pipe & Pint pitched in with a pipe stand, a valet, and some tins of good tobacco as secondary prizes to the Ligne Bretagne Dublin that was the main prize. If you want to see if you've won something, or if you just want to see me being a doof, here are the videos...

Part one includes a big Thank You from the young fellow we did all this for, and general goofing around, plus the drawings for all the Pipe & Pint prizes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SBOvEcnZmR0" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Part two is the drawing for the Ligne Bretagne that was the main prize:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CBDUiTTeIH0" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Emily and I will get everything boxed up and ready to go over the weekend, and the prizes will all ship out Monday. Thanks, once more, very much to all of you who helped out with this!

TreverT":gzsf4q60 said:
pepesdad1":gzsf4q60 said:
Thanks very much to all of you for helping out!  Annnnd... now you get to watch me make a fool of myself on video :lol:

As threatened, I went by Pipe & Pint this afternoon and, with Emily as our faithful cameraperson, Pete Pike and I made a video of the raffle drawing for everyone who helped out with our fundraiser this week.  Pipe & Pint pitched in with a pipe stand, a valet, and some tins of good tobacco as secondary prizes to the Ligne Bretagne Dublin that was the main prize.  If you want to see if you've won something, or if you just want to see me being a doof, here are the videos...

Part one includes a big Thank You from the young fellow we did all this for, and general goofing around, plus the drawings for all the Pipe & Pint prizes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SBOvEcnZmR0" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Part two is the drawing for the Ligne Bretagne that was the main prize:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CBDUiTTeIH0" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Emily and I will get everything boxed up and ready to go over the weekend, and the prizes will all ship out Monday.  Thanks, once more, very much to all of you who helped out with this!
Trevor, if it isn't too much trouble could you please post the details of the drawing? I can't get vids on my computer.

TIA

Cheers,

RR

Did you say Sean or Jack??? Check it again, I'm pretty sure you said Jack. :lol!:

Congrats to the winners! :D

Thank you Mr Talbert for the chance to enter and for helping this young man get back on his feet. God bless! :D

Alas, no, it was Sean... :)

The winner list is:
Rebecca Replogle-Wilk - One tin of Gawith FVF
Robert Cory - One Men's Valet tray
Mark Libecki - Handmade leather pipe stand
Michael labo - One tin of McC's 2011 Christmas Cheer
Matthias Amnell - One Monjure leather tobacco pouch

And the big winner was Sean Harrison, for the Ligne Bretagne Dublin.

Congratulations to the winners....actually, we are all winners on this...a chance to help someone out.