Future Shortages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not cool guys, I know I'm new and all but I want to be part of the secret society...

:cry:

Ok...The Secret BoB Pipe Tobacco Society will meet at the usual place and time...bring the usual things to the meeting.....Use entry password number 7 and secret handshake number 16 to get into the meeting........Security will be tight.........Do not tell anyone not in the Secret Society where and when the meeting is !!!

We could form a corp. and file a 20 billion loss statement...no FVF, Penz...we need a loan for 10 billion from govt...until next crop year..."anticipated sales of 20 billion...projected...our strong position as a major U.S exporter and importer...pay back 5 billion immediatly...buy McClelland...further projected growth...D&B rating out the roof...build small production facilities in KY, VA, S.C, TN and LA...pay back 10% of bal...by two small islands in the Carrib...one attacks the other...nothing big...a few shots in the air, some angry words in print...one attacks the other right before the military payday and hist the payroll...plan and conduct small raid for retaliation...more loud words..a few shoots in the air...except this time...there's fist shaking to boot...flip coin...ask for U.S and Korean assistance to stop the flow of democracy / communism / pick-a-ism...go with the U.S after a couple of weeks pony show...sue for peace...put 100 mil aid package in bank...unexpect...stop building hiring... sale all assets for loss... ask for 20 bil stimulus package...retire at undisclosed location 8)

Millions of people stock thousands of bottles of wine in their cellars and are thought of as sophisticated, connoisseurs, elegant, well bred. Stock up on tobacco and you're a hoarder, price gouger, scourge of the earth, evil scheming destroyer of the pleasure of others. Why???

I think it has less to do with the storing of large quantities (many on here do just that and are applauded for it) and more to do with the instantaneous bulk buying to the exclusion of many many many other connoisseurs of the tobacco leaf.

I think it also comes across less as refined and elegant taste preference (to cite your wine example) and far more as a feeding frenzy fueled by internet gossip and rumors. Think less wine and more cigar "connoisseurs" of the 90s. Tho, this could just be sour grapes on the part of those of us who weren't up and ready to click buy all at a specific time.

That being said, your point is well founded cachimbadeoro... given me an interesting perspective to think about for a while.

CLRV, you have also made many interesting points. However, please consider that when someone typifies something as a "feeding frenzy" he might be interjecting too much of his own prejudice and too little of what may be the fundamental driving force. In any event, a most interesting thread, I've learned a lot.

cachimbadeoro":qwdz168i said:
Millions of people stock thousands of bottles of wine in their cellars and are thought of as sophisticated, connoisseurs, elegant, well bred. Stock up on tobacco and you're a hoarder, price gouger, scourge of the earth, evil scheming destroyer of the pleasure of others. Why???
I don't consider rich winos to be "sophisticated, connoisseurs...well bred". Pretentious, maybe...well bred? Umm...no

Obelus":f3cbwkcp said:
I love a big, earthy, red Italian and have paid through the nose for it every once in a while. I'm talking wine, here, BTW.
I don't begrudge the person who had the foresight to buy a good quantity of it and cellar it. Unless it is the SOBs who bought up all the ...
:lol!:

The government should confiscate all pipe tobacco and then redistribute it to everyone equally. 8)

Harlock999, you're of course entitled to your opinion, not that any of these "rich winos" as you so colorfully put it care much what you, I, or for that matter, anyone else thinks of them.

cachimbadeoro":vyeq6bj4 said:
Harlock999, you're of course entitled to your opinion, not that any of these "rich winos" as you so colorfully put it care much what you, I, or for that matter, anyone else thinks of them.
Well, it's good to know that we're all still entitled to an opinion!
For the record, I'd like to state that I don't begrudge anyone for stockpiling the things they enjoy. I find collections and collectors fascinating. Whether you collect rare grape juice, vinyl discs or barbed wire, we all have different interests and priorities. The tobacco that I have "cellared" fits in a shoe box. It's just not a priority for me. My record collection, which unfortunately is in storage right now, takes up much more space, and is much more important. It took a lifetime to build, and it says more about who I am than any other thing(s) I own. However, I don't really care to elevate my hobby to a connoisseurs level of sophistication. Just like I don't care for the douche bags who hang out at the local cigar emporium, talking about penthouse condos and stock portfolios (which they always seem to be going on about!). But that's just me. I don't like snobs. I'm not advocating government redistribution of anything. If you earned it, bought it, then enjoy it, in any manner you choose. I just won't expect an invite to the next soiree... :cheers:

cachimbadeoro":t1loohz2 said:
One could make a very convincing argument that they, in fact, desperately care what the world thinks...

CLRV":63vx0bzj said:
cachimbadeoro":63vx0bzj said:
One could make a very convincing argument that they, in fact, desperately care what the world thinks...
CLRV, I like where you're going with this! There is something about conspicuous consumption that may smell of desperation...

Harlock, I agree 100% with what you are saying.

My last comment was made in a futile attempt at humor.

Hate to interrupt all the pontificating...But wasn't the question more about what (in theory) the next hard to find blend was going to be??

Me, I'm guessing Chelsea Morning. I bought a bunch. Not in hopes that I can make anything off of it (not that there's anything wrong with that) but because I REALLY LIKE IT! And if it gets hard to find for a while or, heaven forbid, discontinued I will have some around to enjoy. Either way I can enjoy it for years to come...and thats what matters anyway, right?

talrmn35":52bnqhy8 said:
Hate to interrupt all the pontificating...But wasn't the question more about what (in theory) the next hard to find blend was going to be??

:lol!: ,,,Pretend you're at the BoB tavern, the drinks are flowing and conversation is lively,,,feel free to smoke and enjoy how far off base the topics drift sometimes,,,,,,I'll have another black & tan and give talrmn35 another drink,,,did I ever tell you about the time the thread got so hijacked it went full circle and became relevant again,,,, :lol!: