G.L. Pease Blackpoint

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Just posted the following review on TR; reproduced here for your edification:

G.L. Pease Blackpoint

An attractive mixture of brown, mahogany, dark tan, and black broken ribbons offering a clean and sweet-smoky aroma which is just a bit earthy. Tinned moderately moist, once brought to just slightly dry the mixture is easy to pack and takes a flame with little complaint.

In the bowl Blackpoint offers a complex array of flavor notes which range from fig and mole sauce to white pepper and wood smoke. Built upon a base of slightly sweet, slightly bright, and slightly tart Virginias, the mixture features a subtle yet unmistakable Oriental bouquet alongside a healthy dose of smoky Cyprian Latakia. The Perique adds a noticeable spice to the mixture, being of a type reminiscent of ligero cigar leaf. Medium bodied with a creamy mouthfeel, the savory finish is long and just a bit piquant.

In the mind of this reviewer, Blackpoint marks itself out as an English mixture with a little something extra, and for fans of the genre it should nary disappoint. The tin on which this review is based was a something of a youngster, having just a tad more than ten months rest under its belt when opened. Recommended for now or for later.

...............................you had me at "mole`"

:cheers:
Thanks for the review !

Blackpoint is on my "A+" list. It doesn't get a lot of recognition, but for me, it's outstanding. :D

One of my top Balkan blends, flavorful, relaxing and yet complex. Exemplary.

Good review, one which I agree with in its entirety. But perhaps one of the mods can move it to the tobacco reviews section?...

Wet Dottle":puoex2pu said:
Good review, one which I agree with in its entirety. But perhaps one of the mods can move it to the tobacco reviews section?...
Indeed, I clicked on the wrong 'reviews' section!

Thanks for the review Kap. I had tried a tin of blackpoint a while ago, but was somewhat frustrated as I was unable to get the flavor and complexity out of it that I was hoping/expecting. I may have to revisit it and give it another shot after reading your review, maybe try a couple different pipes or mess with the moisture level a bit.

Frost":cgfljojs said:
Thanks for the review Kap. I had tried a tin of blackpoint a while ago, but was somewhat frustrated as I was unable to get the flavor and complexity out of it that I was hoping/expecting. I may have to revisit it and give it another shot after reading your review, maybe try a couple different pipes or mess with the moisture level a bit.
A well-respected member of another board mentioned that much to his surprise, he found the flavors at their most resonant in smaller pipes. I only ran my review tin through medium-sized affairs, but it may be worth a try to sample it in others. If you get around to it, do let us know how it goes.

Is there anything out there in the bulk realm that is similar to Blackpoint?

A great blend., and a far better description then I could write. I keep it in the rotation as much as I can, I think with Odyssey it's one of my favorites from GLP.

Another Blackpoint fan here. Very good latakia-perique blend.