Gawith Hoggarth Black Irish X

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatman

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
So I tried this tobacco today. It sure is strong! I am not certain if it is my cup o tea, per se. I Will try it a couple times more to decide, however the outcome I am glad I only purchased an ounce.

The Black must be an acquired taste, one that I have never acquired. The creosote/diesel/burnt rubber flavor is the problem, for me.

I tried an ounce of G&H Black Irish X and liked it quite a bit about a year ago. I purchased a tin of Sam Gawith Black XX and haven't been able to smoke a full bowl. A lot worse than I thought it would be. Anyone notice differences between the two?

I tried a small sample of this a while back, tasted how one might imagine burnt arse might taste, not a blend for me, the nic-hit was okay, not great but the flavour was disgusting.

alfredo_buscatti":ib85x2vq said:
The Black must be an acquired taste, one that I have never acquired. The creosote/diesel/burnt rubber flavor is the problem, for me.
Then you mike the Brown Rope; its wet oak leaves w/ ground rubber bands flavor might be right up your alley? :lol:

Natch

It's funny that this came up, as I just recently purchased some Black and Brown ropes from G&H.

I actually like them both, but mostly as a novelty, and my brain cannot handle the nicotine that they hit it with. I smoke half a pipe of each, and not only does it last a really long time, but the nicotine is more than enough for me.

I like the roasted meat taste, but I personally haven't detected the "diesel" taste that many people complain about.

I like it a lot but I have to puff and work so hard to keep it lit that the experience is ruined.

Try cutting this into thin coins if you are having trouble keeping it lit. No thicker than a dime. This is the only way I have ever enjoyed any rope. I still rough up the coins as well, then load my bowl. Also i rarely cut an even coin off. Meaning at the begining of my cut I will be shooting for dime thicknes, but try to tapper the cut thiner as i proceed. The next cut will true up the previous cut, then repeat. I may smoke some tonight now that you have me thinking about it.

Andy

i rarely cut an even coin off. Meaning at the begining of my cut I will be shooting for dime thicknes, but try to tapper the cut thiner as i proceed. The next cut will true up the previous cut, then repeat.
When you're handling a knife, go by your eye. Not your hand/wrist.

Line the blade up properly and push it along that axis with your other hand at first, until you get familiar enough with the way wrists torque to compensate for it.

:face:

I cut them crocked on purpose. They taste better this way. I had a bowl of this tonight and it was excellent. Tastes like my grill smells, while burning off the aftermath of bar-bq pork ribs. Burnt sugars and fat with a hint of copper and anis. Strong in a way that teeters your mouth between tingling and numbness. A good treat for a Friday night.

Andy