Gawith Hoggarth

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried most of G&H's flakes and I like them all... especially Bob's Chocolate Flake. Having somewhat of a collector mentality and high curiosity for new things I ordered several different ropes. Bleh!!! :face: Stay with the flakes. Luxury Bullseye, Navy and Twist Flakes are some of my all-time favorites. I just didn't care for the ropes. :cry:

BurleyLegal":huzbflfh said:
Careful, because there's Mixture #5, which is a medium medium/strong traditional English mixture with dark fired added and then there's the actual "Black & Brown" which is more of what G&H classifies in the American Aromatic style and it's vanilla cased. Don't confuse the two.

http://www.pipetobacco.com/gawith-hoggarth-aromatic-mixtures/gawith-hoggarth-black-and-brown.html

For anyone interested, it might warrant a few calls to make sure you're getting what you're looking for.

I've tried Bosun CP, Happy Brown Boggie, Louisiana Perique, Rum Flake, and Dark Birdseye. Probably one of my fav blenders as I actually LIKE the Lakeland flavor and scent. I'd be willing to take anyone's stash off their hands if they need to make space :cheers:

Natch bombed me some Curly Cut. There's something lakeland going on there for sure, but not as potent as many I've tried. I was surprised as to how much I enjoyed it.

Rum Flake is very "scented" and one of the few of that genre that I really get in the mood for from time to time.

Coniston Cut Plug unscented is not to be missed. Don't be fooled by the unscented label, it's plenty scented. Bar-none, my favorite GH offering.

Brown Flake really grew on me. I thought it a little boring at first but have come to love it.

Louisiana Perique Flake is great. Just don't expect the Per to come out and bite you. It's one of the most subtle Vaper blends I can think of.

Dark Flake/Plug is awesome. Not as complex as other GH blends but has it's place.

The ropes are azzkikrz.

Yeah, you Brothers in the States definitely need to keep an eye out for Mixture No#5, NOT Black and Brown.

Here is the description of N0#5 from G&H's website, just scroll down a bit...

http://www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk/kendal.asp

It's very confusing when names are mixed up. Over here in the UK, the 'official' name is Mixture No#5 but the few B&M tobacconists that are left tend to label the loose product as Black and Brown, hence Black Cavendish and Virginia. There certainly isn't any Burley or vanilla casing going on in Mixture No#5.

Phew!!

I smoke tobacco and want my tobacco to taste like tobacco, and despite the fact that I know Lakeland flavorings are artfully applied, what I taste is a cacophony of artificial flavors, which although have interest don't satisfy. But 1792 is an exception. But half of the reason that I like it is that it is a HO.

alfredo_buscatti":rq2nyk2r said:
I smoke tobacco and want my tobacco to taste like tobacco, and despite the fact that I know Lakeland flavorings are artfully applied, what I taste is a cacophony of artificial flavors, which although have interest don't satisfy. But 1792 is an exception. But half of the reason that I like it is that it is a HO.
Nonsense! They are a cacophony of natural flavors! (which doesn't necessarily make them any more likable)

henny - You can't judge the whole by what one guy says. We call it No. 5 over here as well. But since No. 7 is the right stuff, we could call it roast beef and it wouldn't matter.

Seriously, the Gawith lines have both got more brilliant items in them than pretty much any other maker out there. Plenty for all concerned...even weak headed degenerates. No names are being used in order to protect the innocent.

I ordered the last of the G&H flakes that I didn't have cellared. The Best Brown #2 Flake and the Brown Flake unscented came in but the Bright CR Flake was backordered. Both the BB#2 and the BF u/s are great tobaccos and I'm looking forward to trying out the Bright CR.

It seems to me that they ship from Gawith a couple of times per year. If you want to try it sooner rather than wait a long while I'd look around at other vendors. Curly Cut would also be in your wheelhouse as well as Coniston Cut Plug. Good luck.

Just tried Ennerdale Flake for the first time. In the jar, and when I was smoking it, I smelled/tasted the almond more than the other myriad flavors that are supposed to be there. But even over an hour after I was done, I'm still tasting the florals!

Good stuff!!

DrT999":fz910g1x said:
Just tried Ennerdale Flake for the first time. In the jar, and when I was smoking it, I smelled/tasted the almond more than the other myriad flavors that are supposed to be there. But even over an hour after I was done, I'm still tasting the florals!

Good stuff!!
I just got an oz of ennerdale yesterday and got a hard hit with the floral coming from the pouch. I had the same reaction to the best brown #2 also. I love rum flake, Louisiana flake and Bosun CP, so I'm very anxious to see if these relationships will work out.