GBD 9438 Virgin Restored

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ANOTHER beautiful piece of restoration work riff!! I have two of that 9438 Rhodies, one a Century I got in the early '70s and the other a Garland I got in the late '70's as I recall. BOTH are GREAT pipes so I understand your appreciation for them !! Beautiful work !! :)

monbla256":8mvzwqme said:
ANOTHER beautiful piece of restoration work riff!! I have two of that 9438 Rhodies, one a Century I got in the early '70s and the other a Garland I got in the late '70's as I recall. BOTH are GREAT pipes so I understand your appreciation for them !! Beautiful work !! :)
This makes eight 9438's in different grades. This other Virgin will go to market.

I find it interesting that your exaples as well as my Century have the inward sloping bowl rim whereas my Garland's bowl rim is cut straight across and flat!! I like the inward sloping rim better !! :lol:

monbla256":9warx24u said:
I find it interesting that your exaples as well as my Century have the inward sloping bowl rim whereas my Garland's bowl rim is cut straight across and flat!! I like the inward sloping rim better !! :lol:
All of my bowls are identical. I think all of my brass rondell stemmed GBD's have that style bowl rim. I had a few post-Cadogan pipes with flat bowl tops.

Some of the stems are wasp-waisted, others full width. A GBD collector once told me the wasp-waisted stem was an indicator of pre-Cadogan era pipe, no matter the Brass rondell.

The mysteries of GBD!

Very, very nice. I only own one 9438, a Sauvage, which I treat like a holy relic I'm afraid. I need more; then I might smoke it, and them, more. Sometimes when I have a older pipe such as these, I hesitate smoking them keeping them as pristine as I can. Nuts, I am...I know, I know.

riff raff":xajtvzgu said:
GBD_9438_Vul_Gallery_zps1468f884.jpg
That's a real sweetheart right there sure enough, you restored it magnificently I might add Al, enjoy that new beauty in rude good health. :cheers: :sunny:

Nice job Riff, I'm starting to really like those chubby little Rhodesia's. ;)

Beautiful job, I really want one like this.

Bid on one last week but it sold for $125 which was out of range for me.

Congrats on another fantastic restoration Al! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Kyle Weiss":ix9z3ae6 said:
King of the 9438s!   :D
Thanks, it is on my rack. But, a rare "Super Flame" gives it a good run for it's money.
I had never seen this grade before buying this one. But, in Richmond, a clerk or SmokingPipes.com had the same pipe, so there are at least two (He also said he'd never seen another).

I meant YOU were the king, but okay. :lol: You're the one that got me hooked on that shape, but I've never found one. You buy them all. :lol:

8)

Kyle Weiss":pdy8qq5d said:
I meant YOU were the king, but okay.   :lol:   You're the one that got me hooked on that shape, but I've never found one.   You buy them all.    :lol:

8)
Ah, gotcha, thanks! I'm probably only an Earl or Viscount, something along those lines.

riff raff":1831b0pu said:
Kyle Weiss":1831b0pu said:
I meant YOU were the king, but okay.   :lol:   You're the one that got me hooked on that shape, but I've never found one.   You buy them all.    :lol:

8)
Ah, gotcha, thanks!  I'm probably only an Earl or Viscount, something along those lines.  
Vauxhall Viscount used to be a very nice car. If you're as good as the car, you are VERY good. :D