GBD pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flytyer

Reaction score
Im looking for some input on new GBD pipes . It seems that the older ones are regarded as good smokers, and Im wondering if anyone has any experiance good or bad with the new pipes by this maker. I am mulling over buying one Ive had my eye on.

Thanks

Stay away at all costs, especially any of those you might be eying on eBay. I hate getting outbid.

The older GBD's (pre-1980's) are the better ones. Quality kind of nose-dived thereafter. Which is not to say you won't be lucky & get yourself a good smoker from a more recent model.

I´m fond GBD´s in general, especially the Prehistorics. They're quite common on ebay so shouldn't be to hard to get ahold of one. The Perspex stems are awesome too. 8)

One of my favorites is a Collector (the second largest category) matte Lumberjack (shape 263) that I reserve for Lat and Orientals. It´s one of the newer ones with a printed GBD logo, not the metal rondelle. Superb smoker so I don´t mind...

The older ones seem to be very well thought of and have rabid collectors.

Look for ones with a metal inlaid (embossed?) logo and (if possible) one that was made in England.

They're often fine pipes, and have many supporters.

What's ironic though is that you can say this of virtually any of the British upscale marques of the 1950-75 era -- GBD, Comoy, Sasieni, Dunhill, Charatan, Loewe & BBB alike.

Heck, there are even those (guilty as charged) with a fondness for Petersons made back then.

De gustibus non disputandem :lol:

:face:

Yak":frqx5cxz said:
What's ironic though is that you can say this of virtually any of the British upscale marques of the 1950-75 era -- GBD, Comoy, Sasieni, Dunhill, Charatan, Loewe & BBB alike.
De gustibus non disputandem :lol:

:face:
So true.... :(

Older is better.
I am old enough to have lived through the glory days, of several well known pipe manufactures, and have been lucky enough to have several classics in my collection.
The Vintage GBS"s are still obtainable if you seek them out, But only after doing some research.The best part about buying vintage estate pipes is that they are already broken in,so once they are sanitized, they are ready to go full throttle.I have 2 smooth billards,a Marquis #117 & a Roissy #88 Made in St Claude France. I est. late 40's early 50's superb briars,with super, natural grains.Anyone lucky enough to snag a vintage GBD, will have many wonderfull years of smoking pleasure,from a 50 + year old briar.

"There's a story behind every bowl"

I love my GBD Unique's, both are dedicated to virginia flakes, very nice smokers.

I may have the heart to let one go.

Not so old Quintex trio

"There's a story behind every bowl"

A trio of beauties.

I have a bunch of old, French-made New Eras (the French manufacture stopped in the mid-fifties). They're just amazing. Perfect symmetry in design, all excellent (flake) smokers.

I was gifted two GBD's last week and I finished restoring them this weekend.

it took some research and cleanup to reveal the weak nomenclature. Both are Colossus models, a 9677 "Bicentennial Seventy Six" Rhodesian and the other a shape 17 Oom Paul.

The Seventy Six was bowl had not seen a lot of care, but thankfully the perspex stem was in pretty good shape. I did my usual soak/micromesh sand/buff on the wheel to both. I'm been looking, unsuccessfully (well, outbid) for a 9438/9242 and this one fits that bill/shape desire perfectly.

Here's a before & after shot of both.

I smoked each today. They each smoked wonderfully with no ghosting. Both will become valued members of my rack.

The Seventy Six Rhodesian

The Oom-Paul. This stem has some cracks and I might get Walker to make me a new stem. But for now, the patina of the stem seems to fit the bowl and it smokes fine.

I do not know much about the newer (post 1980) GBD's as I bought all of mine from 1969 thru 1979 but EVERYONE of the 12 I own are some of the BEST smoking pipes I own! All are some of the nicest tight crossgrains, all smooth and most are the Century model with some International's and a couple of the brass banded Garland model. They came with some of the nicest thin, wide fishtail bits ( most of mine are SBs) and I LOVE 'em! My "newest" is a new /old one I found in a box and it has become my " Virginia " pipe and I can HIGHLY recomend any of the older ones ( with the metal, brass if possible, rondeles imbedid in the bit. They were'nt extremely costly pipes, but none of mine (all bought new) have any fills and are worth every $ asked for . So save your money, do some research, take your time and you'll aquire one of the "classics" of smoking :p

Simple Man":xpjkbsd1 said:
Wow! Those are stunning... you did a wonderful job restoring them. I absolutely love that Rhodesian!
Thanks, I enjoy doing that kind of work. I spent about four hours redoing those two. The nomenclature is so faded on each, I had to be careful not to add any more wear. That Rhodesian shape (in GBD or the 999 Peterson), is a favorite and I was tickled to receive this one.

It was also fun digging out the history behind them. I contacted Jerry Hanna who has a very nice GBD pipe information page and he was very helpful.

The Oom-Paul, has a gentlemans name, "Ed Kollar" stamped below the factory nomenclature, but the gentleman who send me this didn't know him or the name.

Jerry suspects these two came from Smokers Haven in the 70's (the Seventy Six, for certain in 1976) as they were one of the largest GBD dealers in the States at the time. These pipes did come from an estate in Ohio, so that makes sense.

I just bought this GBD Tapestry 9438 model. This is a called a "chair leg" stem. I'm hoping to restore the stem, which could take some work! (and I was complaining about saddle stems...)

While searching, I came across this interesting model. I've never seen a GBD in this shape/finish before. A local shop has an unsmoked Virgin billiard for $165, so maybe this is worth an opening bid of $295? Too rich for my blood, but a fascinating shape.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GBD-MILLENNIUM-ESTATE-PIPE-18K-GOLD-BAND-/290670302888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ad4cd6a8

$(KGrHqJ,!kwE8NsBn!,mBPOH0UgiFg~~60_3.JPG

IMG_4588.JPG

Here's another unique shape:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GBD-pipe-/280824457574?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE&hash=item4162712966

$(KGrHqF,!mEE8LnRbhOdBPNZgS2EWg~~60_12.JPG

The pre merger GBDs are proven performers, so I would stick with them. They are relatively easy to identify, and there are still a lot of them around, even on the bay. I have picked up several, all under $50, and some way under.

That Tapestry 9438 Bulldog is a honey of a pipe--pictures, please, when you get done makin 'er shine! 8)