Given the outside of the pipe some love

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertpiper

Reaction score
The bowl has been given a lot of love as far as cleaning and reconditioning is concerned. What about the outside? besides using a cloth. What's a good way to clean the outside of the pipe. I don't think using a cloth or wax actually cleans the pipe. Handling of your pipe especially outside collects oils, dust any number of things. What's the best way to get rid of these and maintain it's finish?

I just use paper towels and a little elbow grease. I don't need them to shine, just be buildup free. Perhaps a little spit for the rim to get the tar off.

MisterE":r1jlfw5i said:
I just use paper towels and a little elbow grease. I don't need them to shine, just be buildup free. Perhaps a little spit for the rim to get the tar off.
No water or mild soap?

desertpiper":9hwg4u9u said:
MisterE":9hwg4u9u said:
No water or mild soap?
Unless it's a stain of some kind or a burn spot, all I've ever used is my old flannel cloth for a wipe down. With the occasional wheel buff, that's all I've ever used. I've never found it neccessary to "wash" the bowl as that would take all the patina off 'em :twisted:

I don't use water, and especially not soap on any of the wood!! Soap, even the unscented stuff, can get in to the wood and will definitely impart a flavor. At best it can take off some of the finish.

Lakeland tobaccos ghost a pipe enough without the added detergent!! :p

Some people like to use some sort of wax or oil. I don't like it because it tends to attract dust and keep it there. Here in the DF, dust is horrible, so a pipe left out can have a thick coat of dust in a day or two. Just a good wipedown with a clean paper towel after each use is enough.

If you want a good read (and perhaps a chuckle), look up the old Olive Oil on stems thread. People can get passionate (and personal) about what to put, ot not put on their pipes. :|

Rub the bowl of the pipe after you've smoked it with an old flannel shirt (usually, the one you're wearing). Repeat. Twenty smokes later you may be surprised. :shock: 8) :D

:face:

I have a micro-fiber Easy Shammy. The kind you might get for cleaning/polishing a computer screen. Works really well for cleaning with a tiny bit of warm water. I also use the Easy Shammy dry for polishing my pipes before they go back into the rack. Having a beautiful perfect pipe to smoke out of is a big part of the pipe smoking experience for me.

I also have access to a buffer at the local B&M. Once a month my most smoked pipes all go down for a buff n' wax job to keep them shiny and protected.

Yes I have OCD

No, my stems never get oxidization either. If they even look dull I break out the Outwest Tobacco stem polish. Then the stems also get a turn on the buffer.

MisterE":bw7voltn said:
So do i.

MisterE":qa9keh04 said:
And me as well. Perhaps a slightly damp one "occasionally" around the rim if it starts to darken up, but only on the rim.

Natch