Giving Up Television

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Traveling around a lot, I haven't really had a chance at television in many years. Sure the hotels and apartments have them, but I find that I don't turn them on. I haven't since about 2000.

My new place doesn't even have converters or cable. The TV sets are apparently just used for gaming...except that nobody plays any games.

It's not that I lack for television programming. I can find whatever I want on DVD or the Web for the most part. It is however great to not be held hostage to whatever happens to be playing on the tube. There's a lot more time to pursue my own hobbies, or read, or...smoke!

I see enough of what's playing--nearly every time I visit a bar for instance--to not get the feeling I'm missing much.

All you really need in life is a good book and a pipe...what else do you really need?

PipeLeisure":ti59nnxg said:
All you really need in life is a good book and a pipe...what else do you really need?
Well said, PL. Well said.

Hang on, I'm downloading Nat Geo on the iPad :)

PipeLeisure":xw0rnvp7 said:
A good bottle of your choice?

I gave up TV almost a year ago and I don't suffer because of that nor do I see a need to subscribe to cable again. I find myself spending more time doing things that I value more than TV, for example I read more, I go outside more often and I just recently started downloading audiobooks. Many of them are available for free on the internet and it goes along very well with pipe smoking!

Canned the TV in '03. Now, I watch some Hulu, netflix, etc...but, no television. Life is better without it.

Remember when TV was free, one would think with all the advertisement dollars,

cable and satellite providers would pay us to choose there service.