GLP Odyssey

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Odyssey was one of the first Balkan or English Blends that I really appreciated.
Try it while sipping some Coca Cola.

INCREDIBLE!

Bluefisher":p4xwu7fz said:
DrumsAndBeer":p4xwu7fz said:
Storm_Crow":p4xwu7fz said:
Odyssey is in the top 3 best latakia blends on the market today IMO, and depending on my mood, it often takes first place.
I wouldn't argue there. :D
OK then, as someone relatively new to pipe smoking and still getting my bearings, let's hear it. Top three Latakia blends?
GLP Odyssey
GLP Maltese Falcon
Boswell's Northwoods

Odyssey is also one of my top two or three latakia blends. I bought a couple of the large tins a few years back, and may need to open one this winter. I also find it rather complex for a heavy lat-bomb type blend. As I seem to be morphing back into a more lat oriented preference (happens most every fall) I'll be smoking more Odyssey. But come spring, I'll abandoned this lovely, dark lass for that roguish girl named Virginia. :lol:

Natch

I had a full tin of Odyssey when I went on vacation this summer in Branson. That week I smoked every leaf in that tin (...and Blackpoint, FYI). I developed a kid like excitement about how good Odyssey really is. For as rich as it is, my palate didn't get shredded up like other heavy Lats blends can do. It is quite balanced with oriental tang talking to you the entire way. It isn't just a flame thrower, although, let's be honest, it is as strong and full as anything I've put in MY pipe. I agree, it could be best in the fall and winter for some, but I loved it on those toasty quiet nights looking at Tablerock Lake. I haven't had any since August now that I think about it, maybe I should place another order! My wife is gonna kill me!!!

Kyle Weiss":qlcejorc said:
Blackpoint and I get along really, really well. I'll just say that. 8)
This is a bit of a surprise, what with your general aversion to perique. Not that I disagree - BP is one of my top 5 blends regardless of genre - I'm just surprised to hear this coming from you!

The REALLY good stuff changes your whole tobacco landscape. Rocks your world.

That's why I get peevish whenever people junk up newbie threads asking what's GOOD by recommending stuff that's the tobacco equivalent of McDonalds and Pizza Hut.

:cat: :face: :study:

idbowman":zjfinnj5 said:
Kyle Weiss":zjfinnj5 said:
Blackpoint and I get along really, really well. I'll just say that. 8)
This is a bit of a surprise, what with your general aversion to perique. Not that I disagree - BP is one of my top 5 blends regardless of genre - I'm just surprised to hear this coming from you!
It shouldn't be surprising at all. I think the other Brothers have done a good job teasing me and going all hyperbolic on my testy relationship with Perique, but in the right amounts, even for me, it can be a monumental smoke.

What happens is certain blends focus on imbalance as an art form over balance. So you have these tobaccos that feature an "XTREEM!" amount of something, kind of like hot sauce..."...SO...YOU THINK YOU CAN HANDLE IT?" Even if that wasn't the original intent, and some might actually like it, eventually, it boils down to a weird challenge of manhood rather than...

...just enjoying the tobacco at hand. So I don't like copious amounts of Perique. Too much Latakia goes unnoticed and becomes mediocre. Hey, some guys can't handle too much Burley...it's just too subtle for them. Time to get bigger wheels on the truck, I suppose. :p

Happy with Hal O The Wynd, Old Gowrie, Blackpoint, and Orlik Golden Sliced...who knew?

8)

Yak":7cxko4wu said:
The REALLY good stuff changes your whole tobacco landscape. Rocks your world.

That's why I get peevish whenever people junk up newbie threads asking what's GOOD by recommending stuff that's the tobacco equivalent of McDonalds and Pizza Hut.

:cat: :face: :study:
Of course, you're definition of a pedestrian blend might differ from others. I smoke loads of Carter Hall and Old Joe Krantz because I think they are awesome blends, easily the qualitative equals of higher-pedigreed favorites like Odyssey, Full Virginia Flake, Irish Flake, Chelsea Morning, etc.

A man can't really come under scrutiny for enjoying a Big Mac, fries and a coke once in a while. Three times a day for thirty years, well... the results usually speak for themselves. :lol: I'm just glad it ain't my stomach or tongue doing the work.

I've really come back to like Carter Hall, it's a kick in the pants I used to smoke it almost 20 years ago and it still tastes the same...for better or worse. :lol:

If variety is the spice of life, then constancy is the roux.

8)