GLP Odyssey

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
I have been smoking my fair share of this tobacco lately and it has become my go to cold-evening nightcap. I absolutely adore this blend and find it to be incredibly complex and satisfying. One cannot write a big enough review (at least I can't) to properly cover all that is to be experienced smoking a blend like Odyssey. So here's my really small feeling review ;)

GLP Odyssey

Charring light brings forth flavors of smoldering oak wood, moist rich earth, leather, old books and salty sulphuric accents reminiscent of Eurasian black salt. To start, the smoke is soft, smooth, silky and altogether not too spicy. The forwardness of the latakia is nicely tempered by the other tobaccos. This creates a wide bold rich flavor that seems to blossom on the palate. There is a sweetness embedded deep within the flavor but it is oh-so-slight and is more of a bottom note in the wide spectrum of musty, moldy, smoked peat flavors. It’s similar to the role sweetness plays in a dry Islay malt. A subdued phenolic sweetness found in the undercurrent of the softer bottom-end flavors and nothing more.

As the bowl progresses rauch malt, rye, burnt popcorn, & strong Danish style licorice are some of the more prominent flavors I notice. The smoke is firm, complex and pungent, yet somehow still soft and fragrant. Nasal exhales and French inhale provides an intriguing cave-aged blue cheese like flavor and aroma. And like a strong blue, Odyssey remains full, sharp and flavorful but still soft and creamy. Any typical latakia edges are softened out nicely by the Orientals & Virginia’s and even through to the mid-smoke point the mouth-feel is still gentle and quite frankly, nothing short of "pillowy." When pushed Odyssey gets spicier & smokier, and pine pitch flavors accompany the heavy earthy overtones.

The thing that I love best about this mixture is that it has an absolutely amazing end smoke which reveals a slight Indian spice like flavor which is aromatically reminiscent of a staple spice mixture like Garam Masala. Layered within this is a zippy pepperiness that forms on tip of the tongue. I cannot convey how much I enjoy riding out the end bowl portion of this mixture. There is no bite whatsoever, only complex dark subtleties and nutty, semi-sweet wood smoke flavors. There's even a wee-little-bit of a fresh evergreen aroma I find similar to the scent of standard green Palmolive. Altogether this is an incredible tobacco mixture, and an absolute pleasure to smoke on a cool autumn or winter evening.

Odyssey stays lit out of tin okay, but does require a few relights both at the beginning and along the way. I would be somewhat reluctant to dry this tobacco, only because the flavors are so impressive without any dry time that I would not want to risk losing any complexities to moisture loss. With a bit of practice and with being careful not to tamp too much or pack too firmly, Odyssey is well behaved, user friendly and burns nicely for a Big Lat. 8)

:cheers:

Excellent review! You've just added another one to my list to try!

That was a very nice review of one of my all-time favorite tobaccos. I'm a latakia lover and this is pretty much my favorite latakia mixture. I like it so much, in fact, that I try to smoke it on special occasions and on holidays just so I don't grow tired of it!

Nice, nice review! :cheers:

GLP Odyssey I've tried a few times (Tinder Box stash) and was trying Westminster at the same time--probably not a good idea (not in the same bowl, either...just the same night). I need to sit down with this one and have a proper, one-on-one conversation with it.

8)

Definitely one of my favorites. Another that reminds me of this blend is McClellands "Blue Mountain" they really are quite similar, but yet very different.

sounds really nice. I'm working my way through a tin of Quiet Nights - which frankly I'm having a bit of a hard time coming to terms with. Odyssey is on my short list to try.

Boulder&Briar":z4vjcfhw said:
Definitely one of my favorites. Another that reminds me of this blend is McClellands "Blue Mountain" they really are quite similar, but yet very different.
Blue Mountain has been on my list for a while. I still have some of the Ashton Revival stuff to work my way through before I acquire anymore McC's tins. Most notably Pebblecut and Celebrated Sovereign.

Bluefisher":z4vjcfhw said:
sounds really nice. I'm working my way through a tin of Quiet Nights - which frankly I'm having a bit of a hard time coming to terms with. Odyssey is on my short list to try.
Of the Old London stuff, I really enjoyed Lagonda it was smooth and rich, although it seemed to lack Odyssey's sharpness which I really do love. I do have a tin of Quiet Nights in the hopper for the dead of winter. :D

Of the 7 blends of Greg's I tried about 4 years ago, Odyssey and Ashbury were my favorites. They both remind me of two of my fave Brit blends I used to smoke alot back in the '70s. Nice, nice review, makes me think I might pick up a tin of it next mo when I order some more 'bac ! Thanks :p

Odyssey is in the top 3 best latakia blends on the market today IMO, and depending on my mood, it often takes first place.

Storm_Crow":qo6j75yi said:
Odyssey is in the top 3 best latakia blends on the market today IMO, and depending on my mood, it often takes first place.
I wouldn't argue there. :D

monbla256":ee1zrj3z said:
Of the 7 blends of Greg's I tried about 4 years ago, Odyssey and Ashbury were my favorites. They both remind me of two of my fave Brit blends I used to smoke alot back in the '70s. Nice, nice review, makes me think I might pick up a tin of it next mo when I order some more 'bac ! Thanks :p
It is, of course, wonderful to read so many kind words. This, however, leaves me wondering. What two blends? Enquiring minds want to know! (I've got my own idea of what they remind me of. I'll tell if you do. ;))

glpease":y4qcb0pq said:
monbla256":y4qcb0pq said:
It is, of course, wonderful to read so many kind words. This, however, leaves me wondering. What two blends? Enquiring minds want to know! (I've got my own idea of what they remind me of. I'll tell if you do. ;))
Ashbury reminded me of S&P's Gentlemans Mixture and Odyssey was a lot like BS 759 aged. Both were favorites of mine decades ago. But now days I'm smoking more Red Va's :p

But I thought you didn't like latakia unless it was in small amounts; but Odyssey is so good that you do like it?

monbla256":n14tc5dq said:
glpease":n14tc5dq said:
monbla256":n14tc5dq said:
Ashbury reminded me of S&P's Gentlemans Mixture and Odyssey was a lot like BS 759 aged. Both were favorites of mine decades ago. But now days I'm smoking more Red Va's :p
Well, then! Asbury reminds me of Gentlemans Mixture as well, at least the old stuff, which is what I was shooting for with it - something reminiscent of one of my old faves. Thanks for that. Nice to know someone else thinks I was on the right track with it.

Blackpoint and I get along really, really well. I'll just say that. 8)

OK. So I'll be the bad guy.

Blackpoint = 759

Genre replication. Not literal.

:cat: :face: :study:

DrumsAndBeer":l2llabz9 said:
Storm_Crow":l2llabz9 said:
OK then, as someone relatively new to pipe smoking and still getting my bearings, let's hear it. Top three Latakia blends?

Bluefisher":y3bzrpn3 said:
DrumsAndBeer":y3bzrpn3 said:
Storm_Crow":y3bzrpn3 said:
OK then, as someone relatively new to pipe smoking and still getting my bearings, let's hear it. Top three Latakia blends?
Here are a bunch of BoB brothers recommendations for the new pipe smoker that you may wish to check out. The list was compiled by Blackhorse. Take a look at the mild English and full English listings.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t19560-suggested-blends-etc-for-newer-pipe-smokers