GLP Sixpence NEW

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juanmedusa

Reaction score
Just saw about this http://glpease.com/ new blend coming from Greg. For a latophobe like me this really strikes some curiosity. Look forward to more details. When I get some I'll try to update. If you have some let me know.

Interesting...I'm not huge on his lat-heavy blends (or any lat heavy blends), so this sounds much closer to my tastes.

I hope he's gonna start using MORE US grown Va's as opposed to the usual C&D African and southern European varieties which would DEFINATELY make it something I'd try !! Need to find out it's TRUE composition !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":d092hiv3 said:
I hope he's gonna start using MORE US grown Va's as opposed to the usual C&D African and southern European varieties which would DEFINATELY make it something I'd try !! Need to find out it's TRUE composition !! :twisted: :twisted:
News to me. I've never used African VAs, other than, perhaps, in the collaboration I did with John Gawith (Stonehenge). Everything is North America grown. Some brights come out of Canada, but I think that's pretty far from Africa or southern Europe... We used to use a bright out of Italy that was spectacular, but the NA leaf we're getting is even better...

As for Sixpence's details, all will be revealed in the next couple weeks, but for now, rest assured that it's all New World tobaccos.

Interested, as usual.

I read somewhere that this was a limited release. Does anyone know if that's still the case?

I love the pipe community! Where else can you make a comment on a nationally distributed product and get a reply from its creator.

*hugs to all brethren!

DrumsAndBeer":jl5hmdnv said:
Interested, as usual.

I read somewhere that this was a limited release. Does anyone know if that's still the case?
Not limited. It's been in full swing production for about a month, now, in hopes of building up enough supply so we don't go through the JackKnife "out of stock" fiasco again.

I'm getting pretty jazzed about it, personally. I've been smoking the first production samples exclusively for a month, and really digging it. (In fact, I just ran out. Good thing I know the guy who makes it.) For a non-Latakia thing, that's pretty unusual.

I smoked a bowl of it last night and really enjoyed it. Wish I had more of a sample to gauge for a review, but I'll do the best I can.

glpease":dsocr5k9 said:
monbla256":dsocr5k9 said:
News to me. I've never used African VAs, other than, perhaps, in the collaboration I did with John Gawith (Stonehenge). Everything is North America grown. Some brights come out of Canada, but I think that's pretty far from Africa or southern Europe... We used to use a bright out of Italy that was spectacular, but the NA leaf we're getting is even better...

As for Sixpence's details, all will be revealed in the next couple weeks, but for now, rest assured that it's all New World tobaccos.
Thanks for that info. I've tried many of C&D's Va based blends/mixtures and though they were good, they DID NOT have the flavor profile that the Carolina Va's have and since C&D does your blending I erroneously presumed this blend/mixture would be using much of what they use as a base. I will give it a try when it comes out for sure ! BTW, with all the "Pumpkin" hype  in EVERYTHING these days ( soaps, gin, all kinds of food etc) are you gonna get on the wagon with some Pumpkin/VaPer 'baccy ? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:  Ought to be a BIG seller in this day and time !! :twisted: :twisted: ( BTW, ketchup is the missing ingredient in many of your blends, so ya gonna add some to this ? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )

glpease":dgzoj3d3 said:
Not limited. It's been in full swing production for about a month, now, in hopes of building up enough supply so we don't go through the JackKnife "out of stock" fiasco again.

I'm getting pretty jazzed about it, personally. I've been smoking the first production samples exclusively for a month, and really digging it. (In fact, I just ran out. Good thing I know the guy who makes it.) For a non-Latakia thing, that's pretty unusual.
Thanks for the info!

Can you disclose any info about strength? Should we be expecting JKP, Triple Play, Navigator-esq strength or something milder?

glpease":0rpv3vyy said:
monbla256":0rpv3vyy said:

;) :pirat:

Simple Man":vk8uzevd said:
glpease":vk8uzevd said:
monbla256":vk8uzevd said:

HA!

I'm really curious about this one. I love English blends, but I've also come to like orientals without Latakia, also. I'm hoping there's a decent dose of Turkish in this guy.

monbla256":rd5781d2 said:
glpease":rd5781d2 said:
monbla256":rd5781d2 said:

Thanks for that info. I've tried many of C&D's Va based blends/mixtures and though they were good, they DID NOT have the flavor profile that the Carolina Va's have and since C&D does your blending I erroneously presumed this blend/mixture would be using much of what they use as a base. I will give it a try when it comes out for sure ! BTW, with all the "Pumpkin" hype  in EVERYTHING these days ( soaps, gin, all kinds of food etc) are you gonna get on the wagon with some Pumpkin/VaPer 'baccy ? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:  Ought to be a BIG seller in this day and time !! :twisted: :twisted: ( BTW, ketchup is the missing ingredient in many of your blends, so ya gonna add some to this ? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )
NO PUMPKIN! NO! NEVER! GAK! I love pumpkin pie, and I love pumpkin cream sauce over nice ravioli, but I can't even imagine it in a pipe tobacco that I would consider smoking. *shudder* And, no ketchup. Not me.

As for C&D's virginias, they're the same as the leaf I use, for the most part. (I use things they don't, but I use everything they do.) The reds are from NC, the brights from Canada, the burleys are from KY, and so is the dark-fired. Years ago, we used a French grown bright, and I mentioned the Italian stuff, but that's been a while...

glpease":rmxpmmp7 said:
monbla256":rmxpmmp7 said:
glpease":rmxpmmp7 said:
monbla256":rmxpmmp7 said:

NO PUMPKIN! NO! NEVER! GAK! I love pumpkin pie, and I love pumpkin cream sauce over nice ravioli, but I can't even imagine it in a pipe tobacco that I would consider smoking. *shudder* And, no ketchup. Not me.

As for C&D's virginias, they're the same as the leaf I use, for the most part. (I use things they don't, but I use everything they do.) The reds are from NC, the brights from Canada, the burleys are from KY, and so is the dark-fired. Years ago, we used a French grown bright, and I mentioned the Italian stuff, but that's been a while...
OK Michael, there you have it.

Now go to your room!

:lol!:

Cheers,

RR

Monbla. :fpalm: I try to protect you, but alas, I cannot save you from yourself. :lol:

Pease, you beautiful, tasty villain, you. :heart:

8)

With all that "ketchup" that Monbia smokes, if he ever gets eaten by cannibals, all they'll need to add is mustard!!

Simple Man":ufgsa1e9 said:
glpease":ufgsa1e9 said:
monbla256":ufgsa1e9 said:

OH WELL :roll: :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted: