GLP Sixpence NEW

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If any of you want to chance shipping me a tin in Kenya, I wouldn't cry about it. ;)

Other than its being an old British coin and sounding good, I wonder if there was any particular reason to call it 'sixpence'? In any event, 2 tins ordered. . . .

DrT999":c972zbpk said:
Other than its being an old British coin and sounding good, I wonder if there was any particular reason to call it 'sixpence'?  In any event, 2 tins ordered. . . .
It is introduced in the Old London series so maybe keeping with the theme. Just a guess.

juanmedusa":oc2uwfzv said:
DrT999":oc2uwfzv said:
Other than its being an old British coin and sounding good, I wonder if there was any particular reason to call it 'sixpence'?  In any event, 2 tins ordered. . . .
It is introduced in the Old London series so maybe keeping with the theme. Just a guess.
That's all I could come up with. I was just curious if there was more to it

Historically, Sixpence was the excise or duty (drawback) on various types of 1 lb tobacco. Shag, roll, short cut, and carrot. Apparently from the time of Magna Carta. Google has plenty to say about it. But I suspect that I am missing some works by a known author that spell it out in a manner more suited to the reading chair.

SpeedyPete":6l9s89c6 said:
Any cavendish in Sixpence?
From the description-

Brand G. L. Pease
Blended By Gregory Pease
Manufactured By Cornell & Diehl
Blend Type Virginia/Perique
Contents Kentucky, Perique, Virginia
Flavoring Alcohol / Liquor
Cut Broken Flake
Packaging 2 ounce Tin
Country US
Production Currently available

Doesn't look like it by my reading.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":oifq3yvu said:
SpeedyPete":oifq3yvu said:
Any cavendish in Sixpence?
From the description-

Brand G. L. Pease
Blended By Gregory Pease
Manufactured By Cornell & Diehl
Blend Type Virginia/Perique
Contents Kentucky, Perique, Virginia
Flavoring Alcohol / Liquor
Cut Broken Flake
Packaging 2 ounce Tin
Country US
Production Currently available

Doesn't look like it by my reading.

Cheers,

RR
Thanks, my bro' !

I prefer tobacco and liquor seperately......tongue bite?

I ordered a tin this morning and I'm really jazzed to try this one.

I did indeed and received it this past Tuesday. I won't get to try it until tomorrow night or over the weekend as it stands now.