GLP Telegraph Hill (VaPer)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't know how I missed this one before being as I'm primarily a VA/VaPer kinda guy.

Found a generous sample our own BH once sent me, of some '08 vintage weed.

Been groovin' on this for a couple days, and boy howdy does it ever run the bases!

Quite the balanced VA's with just enough p-weed to tickle the senses. Like the children's story of the 3 Bears and the Porridge - this one is "Just Right".

Like a comfortable old pair of jeans/shoes or what not.

This rivals my all-time favorite VaPer of 2015 w/15% added Perique. But this is much more subtle. And is fine in it's own unique way. Would be good for all-day smoking IMO.

I'm in for the next order.

:afro:

Cheers,

RR

Well I can't say as I've sampled this one just yet. I'm primarily an English blend guy, but always have a VaPer running as well. Will definitely add this one to the list of must try's.

Trifecta13":nfzk9gk3 said:
Well I can't say as I've sampled this one just yet. I'm primarily an English blend guy, but always have a VaPer running as well. Will definitely add this one to the list of must try's.
If you're a VaPer guy Trifecta, I can't think that you'll be disappointed. And I'd gladly send you a sample but have just smoked my very last bowl of it today. So I've got to get some more in as well!

:tongue:

Now, here's a question - how does GLP Fillmore compare to Telegraph Hill? Fillmore is listed as a VaPer with red 'ginnys and p-weed. Sounds like a winning combination to me.

Cheers,

RR

DrumsAndBeer":gti9c0ra said:
Haven't had Telegraph Hill, but I am interested in it as well as Fillmore.
I haven't had Telegraph Hill but it is on the buy list.

My Secret Santa sent me a tin of Aged Fillmore. I wish I had words to describe it but unfortunately that is not my strong suit. But I really wish I had a lot more of it!

When Fillmore came out I bought 3 lbs and cellared them, aged them 5 years and sold all of it to get setup with cigars. I also sold 2 tins of aged Stratford. Can't change that now but I sure wish I still had that tobacco;).

I am really into the broken flake flavors of the Fog City stuff. Yak shared a method that he uses for packing Embarcadero that completely changed the way I feel about that blend, it also works great for other flakes that are more loosely pressed. I think it's clear what I need to spend my B&B groupon on.

I have never had this blend but I have noticed that when perique is involved I tend to get a small "bite" like feeling with certain blends, I haven't had any trouble with escudo, or dunhill navy rolls, McC 2015 I have to be real careful with

[/quote]

Now, here's a question - how does GLP Fillmore compare to Telegraph Hill? Fillmore is listed as a VaPer with red 'ginnys and p-weed. Sounds like a winning combination to me.

RR[/quote]

I prefer Fillmore, which is one of my top three VaPers. I believe it has more perique than Telegraph Hill. To my taste, Fillmore is certainly more complex and fuller in flavor than Telegraph Hill. As for VaPers in general, If I want something Medium bodied with a nice sweetness, I grab Escudo. When I want something a little less sweet, but fuller, richer, and more complex, I grab Fillmore. Scottish Cake fits in between those two for me (technically, some may not consider SC a VaPer).

I've long noticed the Flavor of the Week Syndrome where Peaseweeds are concerned. Every new offering attracts a crowd that tries it & chats it up, which feeds the buzz . . . As a result, his newer stuff is pretty well known.

But (an least many of ) the older offerings languish in obscurity. Nobody talks about them because nobody tries them because nobody talks about them . . .

So it's not surprising (on this end) that you didn't get many informed responses (or responses at all).

:face:

Brewdude":bppdo5u2 said:

RR

utahpipeman":bppdo5u2 said:
I prefer Fillmore, which is one of my top three VaPers. I believe it has more perique than Telegraph Hill. To my taste, Fillmore is certainly more complex and fuller in flavor than Telegraph Hill. As for VaPers in general, If I want something Medium bodied with a nice sweetness, I grab Escudo. When I want something a little less sweet, but fuller, richer, and more complex, I grab Fillmore. Scottish Cake fits in between those two for me (technically, some may not consider SC a VaPer).
I appreciate your views utah.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":sz2rty2t said:
Huh? 49 views and no comments?

Guess no one else likes Telegraph Hill then......

:|

Cheers,

RR
That's one of the few Pease blends I have yet to try. If some kind fellow would send me a sample (hint-hint, nudge-nudge) I might know if I like it or not. :lol:

Natch

I honestly have never had it fresh.
I am working on a tin from '07 I picked up a couple months ago and am really likeing it.
Guess that second tin will have to sit till I can age somemore!

i like telegraph hill a lot. the tin i'm smoking is from 05 or 06. there are a few more tins of that vintage locally here for about $15. debating about picking them up. i've been smoking stratford from the same vintage, it's drier to me, less sweet. i preferr TH over Stratford. haven't tried filmore yet. one of the ones in my cart though. goign through all his VAs as i can.

Brewdude":pf9p2evp said:
Huh? 49 views and no comments?

Guess no one else likes Telegraph Hill then......

:|

Cheers,

RR
Telegraph Hill was the first tin I *finished*. I'd just started smoking a pipe and so didnt (don't) have an educated palate. Since then I've tried many more VaPers and will soon revisit this mixture to see what I think. I liked it very much when I was smoking it...

Yak":z80wiz5u said:
I've long noticed the Flavor of the Week Syndrome where Peaseweeds are concerned. Every new offering attracts a crowd that tries it & chats it up, which feeds the buzz . . . As a result, his newer stuff is pretty well known.

But (an least many of ) the older offerings languish in obscurity. Nobody talks about them because nobody tries them because nobody talks about them . . .

So it's not surprising (on this end) that you didn't get many informed responses (or responses at all).

Yes, this wisdom is not lost on me.

But here I am, now.

Cheers,

RR

Then again, the more you post about it, the more people will be curious and try it, talk about it, and you'll end up with what you're looking for.

Just takes time . . . 8)

Brewdude said:
Trifecta13":4yvarzjp said:
:tongue:

I'm a big GLP fan, and I love both Fillmore and TH. Fillmore incorporates a small amount of Latakia, even though it's not (at least I think its not listed in the tin description). For me, you don't "taste" the Lat so much as you "feel" the Lat. It adds a certain musty leatheriness to it, but more in terms of body and something that lingers on the palate. I really do enjoy TH, especially if you get a tin with even just a little bit of age on it, but it feels a little "thin" compared to Fillmore. In terms of Perique, I think they both develop a fair bit of spice by the middle of the bowl, but neither one stands out to me as being particularly Perique-heavy...but that might just be me (I also find the perique blast of fresh-from-the-tin Haddo's to be just about perfect, so take that for whatever its worth).