GLP Telegraph Hill (VaPer)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Natch":4x6otlnf said:
Brewdude":4x6otlnf said:
Huh? 49 views and no comments?

Guess no one else likes Telegraph Hill then......

:|

Cheers,

RR
That's one of the few Pease blends I have yet to try. If some kind fellow would send me a sample (hint-hint, nudge-nudge) I might know if I like it or not. :lol:

Natch
Subtle, subtle :D

Check your PMs.

Just picked up some tins of Fillmore. Looking forward to trying it. Telegraph Hill is the next GLP Vaper in line for purchase.

Telegraph Hill has been a favourite of mine for some time.

A few years ago, I made the Fog City Collection the centerpiece of my cellaring. Here is a thread where there are a few of my comments:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t8079-fog-city?highlight=Fog+City

No regrets...

Nice, Slow Puffs. Of the Fog City Collection very regularly Telegraph Hill, Fillmore, and Embarcadero (Haddo's Delight and Blackpoint are other GLP blends which, while not part of the FC Collection, are also blends I'm never without). I think Laurel Heights is the only one in the line I haven't actually tried, although to read your post it sounds like that might be a gross oversight on my part. I know I've seen a tin of LH somewhere, but I honestly can't remember if it's in my cellar or if its on the shelf at the tobacco shop I usually go to. Hrmm.....

idbowman":imaknlvh said:
Nice, Slow Puffs. Of the Fog City Collection very regularly Telegraph Hill, Fillmore, and Embarcadero (Haddo's Delight and Blackpoint are other GLP blends which, while not part of the FC Collection, are also blends I'm never without). I think Laurel Heights is the only one in the line I haven't actually tried, although to read your post it sounds like that might be a gross oversight on my part. I know I've seen a tin of LH somewhere, but I honestly can't remember if it's in my cellar or if its on the shelf at the tobacco shop I usually go to. Hrmm.....
LH is fantastic. i can't speak to it fresh, but with 5 year on it it's heaven.

smoking my 06 Telegraph hill this morning in my ugly red handmade pipe, cup of french pressed coffee on the side. it's a bit humid and threatening rain. what a great pipe on a morning like this!

I had a tin of Telegraph Hill last fall and enjoyed it to the last crumb (that was my first tin of GLP’s tobaccos, btw). The tin aroma and the flavour are both delicious.
This could be an ideal all-day smoke but unfortunately it’s hard to come by this side of the pond.

Cracked open a tin with only about 5 months age on it. Quite impressed! I think it will age nicely...

DrumsAndBeer":wqgggclx said:
I am really into the broken flake flavors of the Fog City stuff. Yak shared a method that he uses for packing Embarcadero that completely changed the way I feel about that blend, it also works great for other flakes that are more loosely pressed. I think it's clear what I need to spend my B&B groupon on.

Don't be a tease. Please share this packing method. I love GLP blends. This next statement will show my true ignorance. I love the Pease blends, but I tend to reach for blends that have solid flakes or that are in plug form (dense plug). If the Pease blends were in these formats, there's a good chance that they would be all that I smoke. I have never had a Pease blend that I didn't either love or at least find a redeeming quality in. I have a tin of TH in the cellar, but I have no idea when it get opened. I have too many open tins and don't want to open anything new until I work my way through some of these

I love Zombie Threads. There is such great info on our board; however, I always wander where some of the guys who aren't active anymore went off to. It'd be good to hear a ping off their hulls just so we know they are still floating.

dolemiike":nv7zzy0v said:
Don't be a tease.  Please share this packing method.
dolemiike, Here's what I sent to another brother who inquired about this via PM. The method is the laziest one that I know of, but it does work quite well with loose pressed flake blends like Embarcadero, Fillmore & Union Square. You'll probably have the  most success using a pipe with a taller/narrower bowl because you're going to be smoking end to end through a small pile of flakes.

1. Take a small pile of intact flakes, give them a little dry time and then simply slip the whole pile one end down, straight into the pipe. However, be sure to leave a little room for expansion.
2. If there's any tobacco sticking out of the top of the pipe, (there usually is unless your using a chimney), pinch it off and set it aside to be rubbed out and used as top kindling to get the true light going.
3. Gently press the trimmed flakes down and then add the rubbed out trimmings to the top of the bowl, light and enjoy.

At first you'll find yourself relighting a little more than if you rubbed the flakes out fully, but as you get the hang of the method (dry time, when to tamp, the usual business) it does make for some interesting, flavorful pipe smokes because your literally smoking down through the intact blended product. IMHO, it's worth the effort.

Chris

DrumsAndBeer":k0gfiv37 said:
dolemiike":k0gfiv37 said:
Don't be a tease.  Please share this packing method.
dolemiike, Here's what I sent to another brother who inquired about this via PM. The method is the laziest one that I know of, but it does work quite well with loose pressed flake blends like Embarcadero, Fillmore & Union Square. You'll probably have the  most success using a pipe with a taller/narrower bowl because you're going to be smoking end to end through a small pile of flakes.

1. Take a small pile of intact flakes, give them a little dry time and then simply slip the whole pile one end down, straight into the pipe. However, be sure to leave a little room for expansion.
2. If there's any tobacco sticking out of the top of the pipe, (there usually is unless your using a chimney), pinch it off and set it aside to be rubbed out and used as top kindling to get the true light going.
3. Gently press the trimmed flakes down and then add the rubbed out trimmings to the top of the bowl, light and enjoy.

At first you'll find yourself relighting a little more than if you rubbed the flakes out fully, but as you get the hang of the method (dry time, when to tamp, the usual business) it does make for some interesting, flavorful pipe smokes because your literally smoking down through the intact blended product. IMHO, it's worth the effort.

Chris
Awesome. Thanks. I will be trying this.

jefe1037":t6u71c6b said:
I love Zombie Threads. There is such great info on our board; however, I always wander where some of the guys who aren't active anymore went off to. It'd be good to hear a ping off their hulls just so we know they are still floating.
Yup. Sometimes I will purposefully pick a really old one to bump

Ahhh, Telegraph Hill. I really liked it back when this thread first started.

Since then, it's become my absolute favorite blend, bar none.