Good cologne to wear with pipe smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArleighBerg

Reaction score
I did a search and found only 2 threads concerning cologne. My question is a little more specific: I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on a cologne that mixes well with the pipe smoke aroma we all collect. Of course cologne is a personal preference but it might be nice to start with others' opinions to help narrow the search.

English Leather?
Hai Karate?
Although, I actually prefer Eau de Latakia myself...

That's easy. Bay rum. It's served me well for 20 years and blends with anything. Of course, I should point out that it's all I've worn in that 20 years, and I'm of the old-school opinion that anything other than bay rum is just girly perfume, so I'm probably not the one to ask. :p

Buckshot":pixy1py2 said:
Grey Flannel.
I concurr :p I've worn it for years though it won't really mask the scent of heavy Lat/Perique blends/mixtures all that well, especially if you've worn a wool garment while smoking them. Basicaly, if you smoke, to a non-smoker you will "smell" of smoke no matter what cologne you wear. :p

My cologne of choice is "Cigar" by Remy Latour Paris. Obviously made in France and it comes in a 3.3 fluid ounce spray bottle. It is packaged in an attractive tin that holds my pipe cleaners.

Total agreement with other brothers in regard to the aroma of tobacco. If you smoke a pipe or a cigar you will smell like a smoker no matter what you spray on. So "tough tooshie" on anyone that thinks ill of your manly aroma.

monbla256":x07zqfoj said:
Buckshot":x07zqfoj said:
Grey Flannel.
I concurr :p I've worn it for years though it won't really mask the scent of heavy Lat/Perique blends/mixtures all that well, especially if you've worn a wool garment while smoking them. Basicaly, if you smoke, to a non-smoker you will "smell" of smoke no matter what cologne you wear. :p
Oh I agree. Please note that I’m talking about cologne to “go well with” pipe smell, not cover it up.

I second the Bay Rum. Wife likes it too, says it goes well with cigar smoke especially.

Fleur de Captain Black White. Never fails!

Ok, seriously though - I recommend 'Le Skunk De Pew' or 'Heaven Scent'.

LeSkunk.jpg

pepe_le_pew.jpg

Add another to the chorus for Bay Rum! Lately I've been using a locally made bay rum soap and I find I don't need any complementary cologne or the like.

If you want something a good deal more complex, Burberry London is very nice with a pipe or cigar.

After you smoke? febreeze is about the only thing that helps :lol:

After the Febreeze? I wear A&F Fierce, it's the only thing I found that doesn't smell like Old Man (wifes words, not mine) or sickly sweet foo foo crap.

I've been told my Stetson Black smells good. I was smoking a pipe at the time, so I guess that answers the question. All guys my age, either coat themselves in a thick layer of AXE, or shower in their Daddy's cologne, now I do keep a back-up bottle of Axe in my vehicle for work, or important encounters because it covers up cigarette smoke decently, But I enjoy putting on a drop of some Stetson "Untamed" or some Old English Leather every now and than.

I've always been an Old Spice man as were my Dad and my Granda'. However, while my wife used to love it, she then had a creepy client when she worked in the mental health field who doused himself in it and now the smell just makes her thing of him. :(
I make my aftershave cologne at home using witch hazel, bay leaves (The soup kind, not the sort used in bay rum,) cloves, allspice, mace and rosemary oil. It's great on the skin after a shave, works well with my spiced shaving soap and goes well with every one of the tobaccos I smoke.

I'd advise anyone who wants to try it to come up with their own blends at home.

For our bro's here who are true afficionado's of perfect High- End and Artisan pipes and need a cologne equal to their higher esthete the ONLY colognge to wear would be this one: Clive Christian #1 @ $2,350.00/oz. ! It is supposed to be great with all those soap scented English Vapers from what i hear :p

monbla256":gm1kznnn said:
For our bro's here who are true afficionado's of perfect High- End and Artisan pipes and need a cologne equal to their higher esthete the ONLY colognge to wear would be this one: Clive Christian #1 @ $2,350.00/oz. ! It is supposed to be great with all those soap scented English Vapers from what i hear :p
I wouldn't know, being a Right Guard Original man myself...

I am also all about the Bay Rum, but I'm curious:

Which Bay Rum do my fellow BOB prefer? Every single one I have gotten smells different, but they all smell good.

So far, my favorite is Ogallala and least favorite is the Colonel Conk, though like I said, I like them all.

Lagerfeld Classic. A like or dislike cologne. I like it. My next favorite, and a favorite of the female nurses and doctors assistants I have been around is Joop. Both have tobacco listed as part of their scenting.

Foxfire":1xk30zti said:
I am also all about the Bay Rum, but I'm curious:

Which Bay Rum do my fellow BOB prefer? Every single one I have gotten smells different, but they all smell good.

So far, my favorite is Ogallala and least favorite is the Colonel Conk, though like I said, I like them all.
St. John's smells the best to me. But Master's is the one I use every day. You can buy it by the gallon (!) on eBay. It's one of the few that actually have an emollient in it, and it's cheap.