Good oriental blends.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laherb

Reaction score
So I just got back from the Appalachian Trail thru-hike. Decided not to take along a pipe. A pipe had never tasted so good once I got home. Blends heavy in Latakia was what I really enjoyed before I left. But since I got back I smoked some 3 Oaks Syrian and it was amazing. About eight months ago i tried the 3 Oaks Syrian and it didn't do much for me. Now the heavy Latakia blends aren't doing much for me, still good but not amazing. So do you all have any good suggestions for some blends that have the Orientals, light on the Latakia, and good VA's?

leherb, You did it end to end in one season? Something I can only dream of at my age and occupation. I teach a backpacking course at my university and a few years back one young man that took my course quit his job one winter, planned for a month, and did the whole thing. I used to send him food resupplies to various post offices along the way.

My favorite Orientals are McClelland's Arcadia and McConell's Oriental.

Natch

Started on March 15th finished on Sept. 16th, going northbound. It was a great time. Now i'm trying to readjust to the so called normal lifestyle. You still have time to hike it, there was a good amount of retired people thru-hiking, or hike it in sections. Sounds like a great course to teach. I'll look into those two blends, thanks for your suggestions.

Look Natch I hate to be a bother but Arcadia sucks. It's too sharp. It's a bad attempt at Presbyterian.

Actually, the new "legends" by McClelland is real soft smoking and leaning in the direction of Presby too.

Red Rapparee and the McConnel Oriental are worth a look.

And if you feel kinda like something a little different, Jubilee from McClelland is absolutely brilliant.

Another shout out for Red Rapparee - it fits your description perfectly.

GLP Embarcadero is my favorite Virginia/Oriental blend. No Latakia in it at all.

Appalachian Trail thru-hike .... just read some history and information about it.... that is an amazing accomplishment... !!!

Congratulations !!!

McConnell's Oriental is still my favorite, although I will try other offerings in this category soon.

Low Country Waccamaw (made by C&D) is a VaPer with a good dose of Oriental--very tasty!

Congrats on the thru-hike! That's a physical, mental, and planning triumph, and I salute you.

C&D SUnday Picnic is probably my favorite. Excellent stuff.

Red Rapparee is damn good.

GLP Embarcadero is fascinating.

I've a bunch of McC's oriental mixture tins from the early 2000's that I've been working through. They are good, but extremely mild. An almost undetectable bit of latakia in some of them.

Presbyterian has Latakia also, but is damn good and definately worth the try.

Same with GLP's Chelsea Morning.

Thanks everyone. I'm heading to local B&M tomorrow with a list and see what they have.