Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

latakiahaze

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Duncan here from beautiful Snowdonia in North wales. Just found this great site.
I'm a latakia nut but have been known to smoke other baccies, including aromatics. I've got about thirty pipes and have been enjoying the wonders of the briar for many years. Like many of us, I guess, I'm always fidling about trying find that "perfect" Platonic mix of pipe and tobacco - I expect the real pleasure lies in the searching :D
I'm currently enjoying an estate Tanzanian Kiko with meershaum lining (found on Ebay) filled with Commonwealth mixture (there's the latakia again :rabbit: ).
Must admit after all these years I'm still a tad greedy and smoke too fast sometimes: hence I find meershaum lined Falcon pipes quite handy - they clean out quickly and you can smoke them again straight away. Against that I've also got some nice Peterson's for those more mellow moments.
Hope to contribute here often.

Cheers,

Duncan. :joker:

Welcome! I have family in Wales still I believe (Reese surname). Beautiful country.

In any case, enjoy your stay here at BoB.

Thanks guys. Natch: Sam Gawith's not too hard to find at speciality online tobacconists here - regretfully most of the good high street tobacconists have now shut up shop :( There's a good one called "Lands" in Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare country) which I intend to visit next weekend. Love the "floral" lakeland blends - though I know they're not everyone's cup of tea. Only downside here is the price: 500g tin costs about £20 ($32?) - silly money really especially if you're into experimenting with new blends, as I am. Also the days of free samples seem to be a thing of the past. My wife is planning a trip home to WV for Thanksgiving - I'm hoping she can stock up on some US blends as I really want to give "Frog Morton" and others a go. Hope she can get it all through customs :pirat:

latakiahaze":5wnxc1t0 said:
Thanks guys. Natch: Sam Gawith's not too hard to find at speciality online tobacconists here - regretfully most of the good high street tobacconists have now shut up shop :( There's a good one called "Lands" in Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare country) which I intend to visit next weekend. Love the "floral" lakeland blends - though I know they're not everyone's cup of tea. Only downside here is the price: 500g tin costs about £20 ($32?) - silly money really especially if you're into experimenting with new blends, as I am. Also the days of free samples seem to be a thing of the past. My wife is planning a trip home to WV for Thanksgiving - I'm hoping she can stock up on some US blends as I really want to give "Frog Morton" and others a go. Hope she can get it all through customs :pirat:
I should say $32 for 50g (not 500g!). The latter might be quite good value.... :shock:

Pull up your favorite chair and smoke... share some time my friend for you are in good company. I recently spent some time in the town of Chester, England... very interesting place for sure. Welcome again.

latakiahaze":p7r04bfa said:
latakiahaze":p7r04bfa said:
I should say $32 for 50g (not 500g!). The latter might be quite good value.... :shock:
Let's get this right, that's $32 :oops: for 100g. One day I'll even get my maths right......

Duncan, in my dozen or more sojourns to the UK over the years I've visited the Snowdonia region once or twice. It's a magical place and no mistake. I'd have to ferret out my trip logs to tell you where I've been there. Suffice to say I was suitably impressed!

You live in a very picturesque area, but there again you don't me to tell you that mate!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":1v6147un said:
Duncan, in my dozen or more sojourns to the UK over the years I've visited the Snowdonia region once or twice. It's a magical place and no mistake. I'd have to ferret out my trip logs to tell you where I've been there. Suffice to say I was suitably impressed!

You live in a very picturesque area, but there again you don't me to tell you that mate!

Cheers,

RR
RR, yes we're right up in the mountains - great walking country and nearly a mile of free fishing (sea trout and salmon - though I have yet to catch any :joker: ). A stormy day, a languid stroll with a pipe - it doesn't get much better than that :D

Welcome to BoB! I saw that monster Tanzanian Kiko on eBay a little while back. How does it smoke? Is it really as big as they made it out to be?

Metropolmodern":ta1ighm7 said:
Welcome to BoB! I saw that monster Tanzanian Kiko on eBay a little while back. How does it smoke? Is it really as big as they made it out to be?
Hi, and thanks for the welcome :D Not sure if it was the same Kiko you saw on Ebay, since I've actually aquired quite a few over the years. I find they all smoke well and have no problems at all with the African meershaum's (in fact they are becoming some of my favourite pipes). I'll try and take some pics and put them up here.
Duncan.