Greetings from Wisconsin

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artist_X

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

My name is Matthew, and I am new to the whole pipe smoking thing. I have been smoking fine, hand-made cigars for the last couple years, and I am seriously considering trying out the world of pipe smoking (I do believe there is a better world for the occasion).

I have been doing some research into what types of pipes are good, which ones to avoid, how they should look, and so on. And, I have come to this conclusion: buy what you want to buy and what makes you happy/comfortable.

So, with this in mind, I would like to know more about pipe smoking in general. What tobacco's you guys like, if you have a certain type of pipe that really suits your fancy, and your overall attitude when you smoke. I have always believed that cigars, tobacco, and alcohol should be reserved for when you are in a good mood, wanting to be in a BETTER mood.

Alright, I am done rambling. Let me know what you think. I would greatly appreciate any and all input.

Thanks a lot!

~Matthew

Howdy Matthew, and welcome!

I started out on cigars also, about 9 months later I bought a corn cob pipe and a few blends of tobacco. It's a good initial investment in dipping your toes into the world of pipe smoking, not that the enjoyment of the cob should end there. I still have my first one and still smoke and enjoy it. You can also find them pretty easily locally at least nearby if you don't have a brick and mortar tobacconist available. Walgreen's or CVS usually has some behind the counter.

Since you're already a cigar smoker, I'd say you'd probably enjoy the offerings of non-aromatic tobaccos more readily than a non-smoker getting started. I'm hesitant to offer any suggestions, not knowing your tastes, but as for what I do when looking into new tobaccos: read up on the general styles of pipe tobaccos and see if one description interests you, from there look at various blends that fit that description, read their individual description and reviews of those blends. If the reviewer notes any preferences or things of that nature that seem to agree with you then go for it. I think doing this yields a greater chance of getting things you'll like, though it doesn't hurt to try things on a whim.

I really enjoy Virginia tobaccos but smoke just about anything. A chunky pipe (one with thick walls) would probably be appreciated over a thinner walled pipe that may get hot faster before you get your puffing cadence down. As far as general attitude, I smoke whenever I want and refrain when I don't feel like it. A pipe can definitely make a good mood better but also improve on a bad mood or even cool down if you ever get angry or frustrated. I think whatever your mood, there's probably a tobacco for that.

Not sure if you've already started pipe smoking or are looking to get in, but as far as any initial tongue irritation you may get starting out, it'll pass as you come to find what works for you. Buying whatever makes you happy and comfortable sounds like a good way to come into the world of pipes.

Again, welcome and best of luck. There's a lot of folk here that have been smoking a whole lot longer than me and there's a lot of information, opinions and help to go around.

Matthew,

Welcome to BoB. So you're doing some research before jumping in? Not a bad idea, but you'll definitely learn a lot as you go too. Don't worry about getting it all figured before you start. Get some good suggestions and give it a whirl. Here are a few things I'd concentrate on if I were knew to this, but had the knowledge that I have now.

First and formost, get a decent pipe. This could definitely include a cob pipe. But the worse your pipe is, the more miserable your smoking experience will be. A lot of poorly drilled and or built pipes will gurgle. The gurgle is caused by condensation build up from the heat and moisture of the tobacco not flowing through the pipe well. Get a pipe that is nice an open with a good draw... like a drinking straw, and I'm not talking about a coffee stir straw. You should be able to suck a good bit of air through fairly easily.

Second, take some time and read about good packing methods. There are several styles of tobacco for pipes, and each one of them has a method of packing that will work better that other methods. There's a lot of good info here for that, and some nice youtube videos as well. Unlike cigars, pipes are in my opinion more for people who have patience, time and don't mind fiddling with things a bit to get them perfect. That's part of the fun in my opinion, but I'll get to that in a bit.

Third, choose a decent tobacco. Like cigars, the pipe smoking world offers an almost unlimited amount of variations to try out. You might get some sample packs to start out. If there are certain things you like about the way cigars taste, you'll find there will be certain things you like about pipe tobacco as well. With cigars, I mostly like heavy maduro and spicy flavors. With pipe tobacco, I find that I like all kinds, each for different moods or atmospheres.

Those are my main suggestions in getting started. Now to answer your question about overall attitude about smoking.

I used to LOVE cigars. I always thought the taste was "ok", but it was more about setting aside the time to relax and smoke one. Now that I've gotten into pipe smoking, I find I rarely ever reach for a cigar, if my pipe is available. I'd much rather smoke my pipe these days. Pipe smoking is several things for me. I get excited about picking the pipe I'm going to use for that particular smoke. Each pipe is different and offers just a little different experience from the others. I have "go to" pipes which are my trusty comfy pipes. I have odd pipes for odd occasions, sitting pipes, walking pipes...and on and on. Then I get to choose which wonderful tobacco I want to smoke, and there are so many wonderful choices. And I love the process of pipe smoking. It's an art form. It's like knowing how to build that perfect camp fire. It takes time and practice. It's a never ending search for the mastery of it. To make an automotive comparison... Smoking cigars is like learning to drive an automatic, while smoking pipes is like learning to drive a stick shift. There's more to learn with a stick shift and more ways to finesse it to get the most out of it.

So does smoking a pipe improve my mood? Almost always! The only times it doesn't is if I've run out of matches or lighter fluid or if I'm really too busy to be smoking one in the first place.

I hope you enjoy learning about it all.

Brian.

Welcome, Matthew! Lots of good advice so far. I would only add not to buy too much of any one tobacco until you've tried more than a few.

"T"

Hey everyone,

Thanks a lot for the information that you've given me so far. I have learned more just reading your posts than I have reading multiple websites. My friend and I were considering getting into it together, but this is more for myself, at the moment.

Like I said, I really enjoy cigars, and aside from the taste of a good Prensado, I enjoy the relaxing nature of it, more. Sitting down with a good Glenlivet 18 and a nice, creamy cigar is my idea of a great evening, and I feel that pipes could have a lot to offer.

For tastes and flavors, it's kind of hard to really say what I like given that I don't know many of the flavors that are available. But, you guys do, so I'll leave that input to the experts. For cigars, at least, I really enjoy the Rocky Patel Edge, Alec Bradley Prensado & American, I have had a Cohiba from Habana, and a very large variety of others. Primarily, the creamy, dark, often woodsy cigars are my favorite. Many I have found have a good 1/3 that tastes primarily of coffee or chocolate.

My wife really likes cherry scent, and I have smelled cherry with vanilla, and I really liked it.

Anyway, enough rambling.

Thanks for you info, it was really helpful.

I did just buy a cigar that has already been "broken in". I am going to give it a good cleaning before I use it, but I am looking forward to trying it out. Today, I am running up to Milwaukee to buy another to just try it out. I am going to Tobacco world, and they have 1.5oz for $6.95. Someone said that an average bowl could last anywhere from 1-3 hours, and that 1oz will last for about 6-9 smokes. If that's true, then $7 for over 10 smokes is pretty good.

Alright. That's enough babbling. Thank you everyone! I look forward to learning more from you!

nbyD3Fw.jpg

ODEAI45.jpg

VyNTXgA.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum...

If you like cherry vanilla, good old Prince Albert has a cherry vanilla blend....As for samples, Cornell & Diehl has a wide variety of tobaccos were you can select your own sampler. Vendors such as Pipes and Cigars also have samplers.. Peace..Greg

Grab yourself a good handful of Cob pipes

http://pipesandcigars.com/micocobme.html

and order just a single tin of differing tobacco's, take your time exploring each until you find some you really enjoy before you consider buying heaps of any particular tobacco.

Welcome to BoB and enjoy your journey. :)

Welcome, Matthew, from a fellow Cheese-Head (that happens to live in Arkansas these days). Lots of great advice here, (and some total BS, and if you ever figure out the difference, let me know, I haven't been able to separate it yet). Uhle's down on Wisconsin Ave. near the River in Milwaukee is a fine, old tobacco shop and I'd recommend trying several of their blends.

Natch