Greg Pease was ripped off

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is bouncing around like Forrest Gump's ping pong ball. I'm so confused. :scratch:

Falconer":ujtepmqk said:
Please! Who's Greg?
Just in case your not joking, "Greg" refers to "Greg Pease", the owner and blender of "G.L. Pease" tobaccos.

For anyone who is interested, I wrote a blog post over in a Passion for Pipes on this situation.

http://passionforpipes.squarespace.com/neills-blog/2010/9/12/whats-in-a-name.html

Needless to say, I certainly understand the sentiments expressed here. While it seems inconceivable that people don't know the difference, there are stories of fortunes being made - and I do mean fortunes - by one person taking another person's brand name in the tobacco category. The pipe tobacco category is now too small for this to happen, but the principles remain the same.

Interisting read, Neill.

I do wonder what will happen if/when the Cuba-US embargo ends, what will happen between the Cuban and non-Cuban cigar brands of the same name--Dominican Cohibas, Cuban Cohibas, and probably (given that initial boom of legal Cubanos) some counterfeit Cohibas from Parts Unknown.

Indeed, I wonder also what will happen to the use of the word Cuban in tobacco names and advertising.

Doc Manhattan":m0yionqo said:
Interisting read, Neill.

I do wonder what will happen if/when the Cuba-US embargo ends, what will happen between the Cuban and non-Cuban cigar brands of the same name--Dominican Cohibas, Cuban Cohibas, and probably (given that initial boom of legal Cubanos) some counterfeit Cohibas from Parts Unknown.

Indeed, I wonder also what will happen to the use of the word Cuban in tobacco names and advertising.

I'm pretty sure that Altadis owns most of the non-Cuban brands
using Cuban brand names and they also own at least half of
Habanos SA, so I don't think there will be much of a problem.

Neil puts it very well as usual.

And I thought it was impossible to dislike Altadis any more than I already did.

The description of the blend does not seem accidental:

Skillfully blended mixture of Latakia, Virginia, and Turkish, perfect for fans of London Mixture.

London Mixture?! Wasn't that the inspiration behind Greg's creation of Westminster in the first place?

I actually wonder if a few emails (nay, a barrage of emails) directly to Altadis would not turn up a statement or two?

Being a new pipe smoker and new to BoB, I had no idea that Altadis did these kinds of things. I loathe a big guy who will take advantage of and steal from a little guy!!! :evil: It's an odd coincidence that I was just over at Park Lane (found link on BoB) and looking at Altadis bulk tobacco!

beebiz":s3u7vqi5 said:
Being a new pipe smoker and new to BoB, I had no idea that Altadis did these kinds of things...!
They will also hand out all kinds of freebie sample pouches of some of the most god-awful concoctions to ever be directed at an otherwise innocent pipe.

I am sure there are those who will disagree, but every single experience I have had with pipe tobaccos made by, for or distributed by Altadis have left a very bad taste in my mouth (pun intended).