Gross topic, but I have to ask….

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lainatan

Reaction score
Does anyone deal with excessive saliva when they smoke? I would love to use the pipe more often and honestly one of the reasons I don’t is due to the crazy amount of saliva I produce when enjoying a bowl. So much so, I have to use a “spitter” or be out in the grass to spit on the ground. Is this an issue for anyone else? Is it something I’m doing wrong? What can I do to mitigate it? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

I sometimes experience this. Not every time, but sometimes. I think it is a physiology thing more than a pipe or tobacco thing, though I can see how some tobaccos would be more inclined to contribute than others.

Does anyone deal with excessive saliva when they smoke? I would love to use the pipe more often and honestly one of the reasons I don’t is due to the crazy amount of saliva I produce when enjoying a bowl. So much so, I have to use a “spitter” or be out in the grass to spit on the ground. Is this an issue for anyone else? Is it something I’m doing wrong? What can I do to mitigate it? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Try getting out of the clenching habit. Sitting in the house or on the porch, it is easy and natural to hold the pipe in your hand, in or out of the mouth. If you engage in the practice of "lunting" (this is a real word, originally Scottish; it means taking a walk outdoors while smoking a pipe), you will almost certainly clench the stem in your teeth---which is why I no longer lunt---and will manufacture more saliva to aim at flowers and insects. Some might like this idea; didn't you spit watermelon seeds for accuracy in competition with your friends when you were a barefoot kid?

Try getting out of the clenching habit. Sitting in the house or on the porch, it is easy and natural to hold the pipe in your hand, in or out of the mouth. If you engage in the practice of "lunting" (this is a real word, originally Scottish; it means taking a walk outdoors while smoking a pipe), you will almost certainly clench the stem in your teeth---which is why I no longer lunt---and will manufacture more saliva to aim at flowers and insects. Some might like this idea; didn't you spit watermelon seeds for accuracy in competition with your friends when you were a barefoot kid?
I wasn’t aware there was an actual work for that. Thank you for the advice, I do clench quite a bit, I like working with my hands while I smoke, but maybe this means I should go and buy a few more sitters. Lol

As a non-expert, when I smoke a pipe or cigar, I produce saliva, but I swallow it, with each puff, more or less. I think that's part of tasting the tobacco.