Grow up! Put down that pipe!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briarbabe

Reaction score
When I went home to be with my mom before she passed, I had a run in with my aunt. Several actually, but this one in particular was over my pipe. I had been outside smoking waiting for my brother and sister in law to arrive. When they pulled into the driveway I put out my pipe and left it out on the front steps. When we walked in my aunt immediately started in on, "Which one of you was smoking? Oh my word I can smell it all the way over here." (It was Boswell's Cherry Smash btw, a very nice room note, my sister in law had just commented on how nice it smelled when we were walking up the front steps) I said that I had been enjoying my pipe while waiting. She followed up with, "Oh, your pipe, we're all wondering when you're going to grow up and give that up."

Really? Smoking a pipe is juvenile? This does not compute. I thought it was a very odd thing to say. It still boggles my mind a bit. Me taking up the pipe is juvenile. Huh, go figure. And here I thought it was typical of old men. Kind of like my other hobby, knitting, is typical of old women.

Not minding one's own business is pretty immature. :lol: 

Calmly and gently tell your aunt you'll consider quitting the pipe when you're as old as this darling right here:

2hfuqdj.jpg

Hey Briar Babe. A mantra that has always served me well in life is 'seek first to understand and then to be understood'. Perhaps your aunt would have been wise to seek understanding as to why you smoke a pipe...? Hey ho, you can choose your friends, but..........

I really love it when some people puff up there ego's trying to make someone believe there so much better then them by making anything they DON'T do childish or stupid.
Ya should have said, "I'll quit being childish when you quit being a Pompous Arse!"
guntohead.gif

Stick":9i44txop said:
Briar Spirit":9i44txop said:
Stick":9i44txop said:
....errrr, do you have her phone number Briar Spirit?
She'd eat you alive Buddy.  :lol!: 
That's what I was hoping.  I say, ding dong!
Hey Stick, you touch something  that ripe and your Ding Dong will fall off.  :fpalm: 

Cartaphilus":4u1pbw1p said:
Stick":4u1pbw1p said:
Briar Spirit":4u1pbw1p said:
Stick":4u1pbw1p said:
Hey Stick, you touch something  that ripe and your Ding Dong will fall off.  :fpalm: 
 :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: 

Cartaphilus":14cjad5o said:
Stick":14cjad5o said:
Briar Spirit":14cjad5o said:
Stick":14cjad5o said:
BAHAHAHAHAHA!

My wife has an aunt just like this. It's almost as if she NEEDS conflict. She certainly doesn't miss an opportunity to try to make everyone around her feel bad. Most of the family avoids her like the plague and I can't imagine her keeping friends long with the negative attitude she flings about. I almost feel sorry for her because she's probably quite lonely. Maybe belittling others is a way for her to feel a little better about her own loneliness? I don't know.

I say I "almost" feel sorry for her because the moment I start having a little compassion for the woman, she turns around and says something rude to my wife or myself and I end up just saying "Why don't you just f**k right off, Michelle?" We're going on 3 years of not speaking to the woman and I couldn't be happier about it. I don't have time or space for rude, negative people in my life.

APKurt":34d1z0x6 said:
My wife has an aunt just like this.  It's almost as if she NEEDS conflict.  She certainly doesn't miss an opportunity to try to make everyone around her feel bad. Most of the family avoids her like the plague and I can't imagine her keeping friends long with the negative attitude she flings about.   I almost feel sorry for her because she's probably quite lonely. Maybe belittling others is a way for her to feel a little better about her own loneliness?  I don't know.  

I say I "almost" feel sorry for her because the moment I start having a little compassion for the woman, she turns around and says something rude to my wife or myself and I end up just saying "Why don't you just f**k right off, Michelle?"  We're going on 3 years of not speaking to the woman and I couldn't be happier about it.  I don't have time or space for rude, negative people in my life.
I think I know her, does she wear a pointed hat and ride a broom?
I hear they found a house sitting on top her. ;) 

Cartaphilus":t64l159u said:
APKurt":t64l159u said:
My wife has an aunt just like this.  It's almost as if she NEEDS conflict.  She certainly doesn't miss an opportunity to try to make everyone around her feel bad. Most of the family avoids her like the plague and I can't imagine her keeping friends long with the negative attitude she flings about.   I almost feel sorry for her because she's probably quite lonely. Maybe belittling others is a way for her to feel a little better about her own loneliness?  I don't know.  

I say I "almost" feel sorry for her because the moment I start having a little compassion for the woman, she turns around and says something rude to my wife or myself and I end up just saying "Why don't you just f**k right off, Michelle?"  We're going on 3 years of not speaking to the woman and I couldn't be happier about it.  I don't have time or space for rude, negative people in my life.
I think I know her, does she wear a pointed hat and ride a broom?
I hear they found a house sitting on top her. ;) 
 :lol!: Yep! That's her!

I was watching the teevee last niight and a PSA came on, the point being to stop using words like nuts, crazy, wacko . . . Some may well object to the careless, impolite use of those words, but if they didn't have a clear connotation in particular applications they wouldn't exist. Practice the blank stare, followed by a very slight shaking of the head, followed by turning your back to the miscreant. Keep calm. Carry on.

KevinM":u5mp08db said:
Practice the blank stare, followed by a very slight shaking of the head, followed by turning your back to the miscreant. Keep calm. Carry on.
Crikey, if BB's Aunt is anything like my late Aunt Ruby she'll get a face full of "don't you look at me like that young lady and don't you dare turn your back on me", the ear bashing would take a downwards turn real quick after that, dear Ruby didn't take kindly to folk trying to ignore her or reject her opinion, didn't pay to try either. I always found a confident resolution in my own choice allowed Ruby to respect my wishes, she may not have agreed with them but she did respect them, nadgers to picking a fight with an Aunt, aint worth the ear bashing.

Aunts can be a bother. While mothers have an endless supply of unconditional love, aunts mostly seem to have unconditional criticism. If she hadn't seen you smoking before you came in, she probably wouldn't have noticed and would have found something else wrong with you to bring to attention. My ex-wife had an older sister who would spot us (from inside) smoking on the front porch, with the doors and windows shut. She'd step up to the nearest window and start fake coughing. We'd pretend not to notice, and she'd just get louder and more animated. After a while, it was hard to keep a straight face. She'll make someone a good aunt someday. My elderly aunts would always sneak up on me at family weddings. They'd slyly poke me in the ribs and, with a silly wink, say "you're next" through grinning dentures.
They left me alone after I started doing the same to them at funerals.

Practice the blank stare, followed by a very slight shaking of the head, followed by turning your back to the miscreant. Keep calm. Carry on.

i like this, but i might add, after the slight shake of the head, a mild shrug of the shoulders (Gallic style) as a follow through.