Growley Blasted Bent Brandy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Hey Brothers,

I just shipped this pipe out and thought I'd post it up here as well in case you wanted to take a look. This is the first of it's shape I've done before, but there's something I like about it. I might just have to make one for myself  :D I've got a few changes in mind, but nothing drastic.

What do you think? Do you like the way it turned out?

IMG_1365-copy.JPG

IMG_1366-copy.JPG

IMG_1367-copy.JPG

IMG_1368-copy.JPG

IMG_1369-copy.JPG

IMG_1371-copy.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Any and all feedback is appreciated  :D

Wow! That is a gorgeous pipe! I love the contrasting colored bands. Im sure the new owner is going to be very happy!

She's a looker for sure  :) 

Love the blast and the stain -- the ferrule work is gorgeous. I'm not a fan of the rim treatment, but that's purely an aesthetic preference.

Well done and thanks for posting!

Oh Yeah! I'm liking it a lot. The only change I can see is it would make a spectacular "smooth" pipe especially with that great rim job. Oh, you might want to fill it with some HOTW.  :) 

AJ

What kicks it for me, Brian, is the "shelf" or "ridge" or whatever the best term is for the slightly out of round shaped the bowl has towards the bottom.  The way it moves from a volcano shape bowl back into a billiard or brandy is what I like best.  

Had you angled the sides of the bowl back into the round bottom, as per a "proper" round bowl, I would find this pipe much less remarkable.  Same for had you bulged the lower portion of the bowl out.  Very nice work finding the sweet spot.

Oh, and the rest of the pipe's nice, too :lol!:

I don't want your head to get too big, Brian, so I'll just say this:

That baby is a chunky. The kind of chunk I like. From the pictures, I am assuming it is somewhere around the 4 inch range? Perhaps 1.5oz?

May I ask what you might consider changing about it? I do not consider myself an expert by any means, and perhaps it is the angle of the photos, but is the bit bent enough to consider clenching? The bend looks quite subtle, gracefully so even.

Alright...enough of that. It is a nice looking pipe, particularly the contrast of the stain and the horn.

I really like it. But then, I like pretty everything you make. :p 

Has a sort of a Danish take on it, IMHO. And the blast complements it well. And the briar accent ring of course makes it pop! :cheers: 

I really like that, another fine look'en pipe sir!  ;) 

Beautiful job on that pipe.  Love the rim, the blast is outstanding and the stem...speaks for itself.

Another winner from you, sir.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!

:cheers: 8) :bounce: :rabbit: :tongue: :sunny: 

Ya, I like everything about this one Brian. You just keep hitting them outta the park doancha??

I just might have found the next commission to start saving the pennies for!!

:geek: 

Cheers,

RR

Thanks guys.

@Joahoowah and ajn27511, one of the things I would change is to make it a smooth. I think the curves could just call out more if it were smooth. This piece just wasn't worthy of a smooth, in my opinion. Another thing I "might" want to change is what I think deepbass9 might have been saying he liked. This pipe looks like it cants back just a tad to me, and I'm not referring to the position of the rim. I'm referring to the line across the belly of the bowl. I think it should just be a tad higher in the front (farthest part from the stem) of the pipe. This is my symmetry OCD talking though. The perceived cant gives it a bit of attitude that I might like. But, the symmetrical freak inside my head really wants it to look like this:

41nyeo24XRL._SX300_.jpg

As far as the rim treatment goes, I can definitely see it going either way. I think it could look really great more rounded and even blasted. I left it smooth in this case to give the accent ring something to play with, but I'm not sure it was necessary.

I'm already finding that I wish I hadn't shipped it off so soon. I feel like I didn't get enough time with it.

Oh, also @Joshoowah, I think you're pretty close on your size guestimates. I didn't think to measure it before sending it out. I guess there's always next time. And the bend seemed right to me. By looks alone, I questioned it as well, as to if it were bent enough, but when I gave her a try it felt nice. Always room for improvement though!

Thanks again for your thoughts. I love hearing from all of ya!

Growley":pxrv82wz said:
Thanks guys.

@Joahoowah and ajn27511, one of the things I would change is to make it a smooth. I think the curves could just call out more if it were smooth. This piece just wasn't worthy of a smooth, in my opinion. Another thing I "might" want to change is what I think deepbass9 might have been saying he liked. This pipe looks like it cants back just a tad to me, and I'm not referring to the position of the rim. I'm referring to the line across the belly of the bowl. I think it should just be a tad higher in the front (farthest part from the stem) of the pipe. This is my symmetry OCD talking though. The perceived cant gives it a bit of attitude that I might like. But, the symmetrical freak inside my head really wants it to look like this:

41nyeo24XRL._SX300_.jpg

As far as the rim treatment goes, I can definitely see it going either way. I think it could look really great more rounded and even blasted. I left it smooth in this case to give the accent ring something to play with, but I'm not sure it was necessary.

I'm already finding that I wish I hadn't shipped it off so soon. I feel like I didn't get enough time with it.

Brian, I'm no expert but, I know what I like and I wouldn't change a thing, I like it just as it is and I like it blasted! If I had the money right now I'd buy one without question, in fact I'm going to save a copy of your photo just in case the time comes.

Cartaphilus":udp10d1t said:
Growley":udp10d1t said:
Thanks guys.

41nyeo24XRL._SX300_.jpg

Brian, I'm no expert but, I know what I like and I wouldn't change a thing, I like it just as it is and I like it blasted! If I had the money right now I'd buy one without question, in fact I'm going to save a copy of your photo just in case the time comes.
What the wise man from TX said!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":rt70fohd said:
Cartaphilus":rt70fohd said:
What the wise man from TX said!

Cheers,

RR
I think you mean WiseAss! :mrgreen: 

Once again Brian you've produced a MASTERPIECE !! That blast, shape and proportions ALL work so well !! Your work sets a benchmark that one has to reach WAAAAY up there to equal !!  :evil: 

I do think it's really nice as-is, but I'm unsure if I like that hard angle at the widest point on the bowl or if I'd like it better with more curve. The harder line is definitely interesting, though. A google image search finds a few example of actual Brandy Glasses with such an angular shape, so I guess it is authentic ;).

That pipe is awesome - and I like the contrast bands, and, while they shape might lend itself to being a smooth, the rusticated finish is offset by the briar bands and the treatment of the rim - an aspect which I like. I prefer classic shapes - and this pipe has that "classic" look about it with pizzaz and style.....  :cheers: 

Really beautiful work! I really like how you use subtle but interesting design elements to create something that feels familiar but also organic and unique at the same time. Bravo!