Growley Morta - The Grey Ghost

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted a pipe and thought I'd throw up this little Morta pipe I finished for a customer not that long ago. I know Morta blasts well, but just love the smooth ones too.

See what you think.

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

Morta has always fascinated me. I never did get around to securing one for my use when I was a regular smoker.

My memory may be failing me but I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't blasted. Interesting.

Good lookin' pipe Brian!

puros_bran":gbgmfhzi said:
Morta has always fascinated me.  I never did get around to securing one for my use when I was a regular smoker.  

My memory may be failing me but I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't blasted.   Interesting.
Actually, it's more rare to see one smooth. Most morta pipes are blasted. They have a lovely crosshatch look to them.

Ocelot55":lyp8l8lo said:
Good lookin' pipe Brian!

puros_bran":lyp8l8lo said:
Morta has always fascinated me.  I never did get around to securing one for my use when I was a regular smoker.  

My memory may be failing me but I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't blasted.   Interesting.
Actually, it's more rare to see one smooth. Most morta pipes are blasted. They have a lovely crosshatch look to them.

I think that's what I said.

puros_bran":qi8d3fct said:
Ocelot55":qi8d3fct said:
Good lookin' pipe Brian!

puros_bran":qi8d3fct said:

I think that's what I said.
Snap! So you did sir! That'll teach me to learn them letters!

I've often suspected people on this board disagree with me simply to be disagreeable with me. Now y'all are going to agree with me but still tell me I'm wrong.  :roll: 

Back on the pipe... Those little "rough spots" or what looks like "rough spots" in the photo... Is there no way to get it 100% smooth? Is that why most blast morta? It's a damn shame if that is the reason.

That's a real beauty there Brian!

PB the rough spots you're seeing are the pores in the wood. Morta is usually oak, though you sometimes find other species preserved this way. To my knowledge the only way to get a perfectly smooth finish would require the use of sealants and I think that would make it unsmokeable. If I'm wrong about that somebody let me know, please!!!

Jim

huffelpuff":46gnr1y4 said:
That's a real beauty there Brian!

PB the rough spots you're seeing are the pores in the wood. Morta is usually oak, though you sometimes find other species preserved this way. To my knowledge the only way to get a perfectly smooth finish would require the use of sealants and I think that would make it unsmokeable. If I'm wrong about that somebody let me know, please!!!

Jim
Jim,

I believe you're on to it. They follow the grain of the wood and are kind of like micro indentations.

That is a beauty Brian!

puros_bran":5w6qgbd5 said:
 I've often suspected people on this board disagree with me simply to be disagreeable with me.   Now y'all are going to agree with me but still tell me I'm wrong.   :roll: 
If I disagree with this am I being disagreeable? If I agree will it break the internet?

How did you like working with the morta?

Have you tried strawberry burl yet? I think a craggy black blast with one of your sweet bulldogs would turn out great !