Growley Pipes, chasing that pipe dream.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Brothers and sisters,

It's with some trepidation and much excitement that I make the following announcement: Starting tomorrow I'm going to be making pipes full time! I've had a passion for pipe making since the very first pipe I made, and now I'm stepping out of the corporate world to see if I can make a go with something I absolutely love doing. I've learned fairly early in life that for me, following money only leads to following more money, but following my heart can lead to much greater things.

What I'm mostly excited about is seeing what I can do with full dedication towards this wonderful hobby. As you can all probably imagine, it's sometimes hard to start projects and have to put them down over and over because you've only got a few hours at a time to work on them. I work best when I'm in the zone, and having been only able to work on pipes part time, it's often hard to ever get in that zone. So, I expect to see an increase in quality, many new designs and better takes on old ones...and a whole lot more Growley pipes for you all to look at!

You all have been very encouraging and supportive, and you mean a lot to me. I thank you for that from the bottom of my heart.

So, wish me luck and by all means, hit me up if you want to buy a pipe.

Sincerely,

Brian.

Brian, I wish you nothing but the best. It is amazing to see someone follow their heart and dreams!   I hope one day to own one of your pipes and keep you doing what you love!  Good luck!!!

Mozjo33":wodembda said:
Brian, I wish you nothing but the best. It is amazing to see someone follow their heart and dreams!   I hope one day to own one of your pipes and keep you doing what you love!  Good luck!!!
Thanks Mo!

Super news Brian; it seems you have chosen your path! I recon the brothers will be delighted and anxious to see your next creations. Here's to a new start and bright new future...

Kindest regards,

Stick.

Far out Brian, wish I was brave enough to try something like that!

If anyone could do this I feel YOU are the one !! Are you going to continue "by order" production or have a sort of "catalog" of Growley shapes available for buyers? Either way. I feel you are going to do well !! Onward Thru the Fog !! :twisted: :twisted:

Brian,

Good luck to you and may your work prosper. It is scary to step out of the safety zone and follow your passion. I know i am looking forward to seeing how your work improves and changes.

Growley":qm2kxnzo said:
You all have been very encouraging and supportive
NOW START BUYING  :twisted: 

Best of luck Brian, I've started saving up my lunch money  :) 

Adam

Growley":me051sxj said:
Starting tomorrow I'm going to be making pipes full time!
What's your 'first' one going to be Brian?   :scratch: :D

Congrats, Brian! Buy em now boys! Soon those Growley's will be worth big bucks!

Best of luck; I hope it's a success at whatever level you hope for

"T"

Terrific news Brian. Sometimes a man just has to follow their heart and follow what passions they have, even though it might mean risking the financial side of life.

I know this well since I did just that over 25 years ago and followed my heart into the crazy world of brewing beer for a living, and left a reliable income in steel fabrication.

It was kind of difficult at first financially, but I had drive and determination which is what I perceive in you and your quest for excellence. Given the chance again I wouldn't hesitate to make the switch to something I knew I was good and excelled at.

Your calling is a pipesmith. I've had the pleasure of several of them, and make no mistake you have the knack, the skill, and the passion. Follow that to it's logical conclusion.

Well done Brian!

:king: 

Cheers,

RR

...Brian, the very best to you!!! and also to your family as you transition into this full-time endeavor....When you decide to make a Canadian...let me know!

monbla256":kuaxb6bi said:
If anyone could do this I feel YOU are the one !! Are you going to continue "by order" production or have a sort of "catalog" of Growley shapes available for buyers? Either way. I feel you are going to do well !! Onward Thru the Fog !! :twisted: :twisted:
Thanks Michael. I'm really not sure what will happen as far as a catalog goes. I imagine as I make more and more pipes, some will rise to the top as Growley favorites, and some will fall. For now, I plan on continuing to take cues from the classic and Danish shapes, as well as letting my imaginative side get a little more active.

Most importantly, I will definitely continue to take commissions on. Commission work is some of my favorite work, mostly because I get to know people better. And with that comes a better understanding of what it is that they're really looking for in a pipe. I consider it a huge honor to work with someone to make just the right pipe for them, and a major success when it turns out to be just what they hoped for.

Stick":yayl9eby said:
Growley":yayl9eby said:
Starting tomorrow I'm going to be making pipes full time!
What's your 'first' one going to be Brian?   :scratch: :D
That is a terrific question...to which I have no answer at the moment. I'm going to start out the day tomorrow by seeing what hits my fancy and going from there. I'm really very excited about it actually. I've never had an entire day to work on pipes. Now that's all I have! I'll be sure to post it up here when the first one is done though.

PeterD":piaqjpyn said:
...Brian, the very best to you!!! and also to your family as you transition into this full-time endeavor....When you decide to make a Canadian...let me know!
Peter,

I'll definitely be making some Canadians. In fact, I've chosen the Lumberman shape (Canadian with a saddle stem) to be the shape I submit for the Kansas City Show contest.

And again, thanks to all of you for the support. Win, Loose or Draw, I'm going to give it my best and love doing it.

Growley":hp86quu9 said:
PeterD":hp86quu9 said:
Peter,

I'll definitely be making some Canadians. In fact, I've chosen the Lumberman shape (Canadian with a saddle stem) to be the shape I submit for the Kansas City Show contest.
Wish you the best sir!  ;)