Guess the pipe smoker -

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vito":1foeueh3 said:
monbla256":1foeueh3 said:
It's a bit esoteric but he's Felice Bonito and he drove an Alfa Romeo 6c to 8th place finish in the 1950 Cerrera Panamerica in Mexico! Like I said, a bit esoteric :twisted:
Yeah...just a bit. :mrgreen:

Pretty impressive that you even KNOW such a thing. You must eat, sleep, and breathe racing. :shock:

:joker:
Sort of. I went to my first NASCAR race in 1956 :twisted: BTW, GooGle is my friend :twisted: :twisted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_Carrera_Panamericana

Here's another to start the day off! He's English and his work spanned the 40s thru 50s :twisted:

bent_hardy1_zps4adc316f.jpg

he's Brent Hardy, British photojournalist from the 40's/50's. I'll look for some less esoteric and more well known next :twisted:

OK. Here's one. I suspect you know the younger bloke. My hero. LOL. Hint: The Old Man favored St. Bruno.

KeithRichardsdad1983NYCcliff.jpg

Right-O buckshot. His old man was said to smoke St. Bruno and nothing else. Unlike his son who smoked just about everything else. LOL.

Kashmir":xzkqzzw5 said:
OK. Here's one. I suspect you know the younger bloke. My hero. LOL. Hint: The Old Man favored St. Bruno.

KeithRichardsdad1983NYCcliff.jpg
The younger bloke looks a lot like a younger and cleaner Keith Richards.

Your clue "The Old Man" and the abundant face fuzz on the senior dude first led me to think Ernest Hemingway. But the timing is all wrong; the famed author of The Old Man and the Sea terminated his own existence in 1961, and I don't believe that Keith looked anything like that in 1961. Besides, Hemingway had most of his hair...well, that is, before he removed it at the end, with his application of what I now call "the Hemingway maneuver".

Anyhow, I can only guess that the older bloke is Keith's dad.

Update: Oh, wait...looks like Buckshot already nailed it. :cheers:

Keith was definitely a guitar hero of mine back in the days of the early Strollin' Bones — right up through the Between the Buttons album...which also happened to mark the demise of Brian Jones. The Stones lost something they were never able to recapture after that, IMHO. Jones was a freak, but his eclectic musical tastes went a long way toward making the Stones much more than the plain old rock band they became after his demise.

When I saw them live at the Syracuse War Memorial auditorium in summer, 1966 Brian Jones was still extant. His playing was by far the most musically interesting of all the band members. Keith was moody, playing sloppily, probably stoned...acting like he didn't want to be there. In fact, they stunk. My band was better than they were. It was a huge revelation for me about the difference between bands that sound great in the studio but don't cut it live. :no:

Another rocker, often seen with a very different kind of "pipe".

001-th11.png

Michael John Kells "Mick" Fleetwood, a British musician and actor best known for his role as the drummer and namesake of the blues/rock Fleetwood Mac.

On a related note.

Marty-Feldman.jpg

Marty Feldman

PeterLorre_MadLove-1.jpg

Peter Lorre

600full-mick-fleetwood.jpg

Mick Fleetwood

And the Ayes have it!

As an aside to this thread - and Mick's eyes got me thinking - I've always loved Marty Feldman. From his days in Monty Python with John Cleese and Rowan Atkinson all the way to Young Frankenstein, but I never knew how he died. Now I do.

From Wiki:

Feldman died from a heart attack in a hotel room in Mexico City on 2 December 1982, during the making of the film Yellowbeard. On the DVD commentary of Young Frankenstein, Mel Brooks cites factors that may have contributed to Feldman's death:

"He smoked sometimes six packs of cigarettes daily, drank copious amounts of black coffee, and ate a diet rich in eggs and dairy products". Plus, the high altitude of Mexico City (over 7,000 feet above sea level, where the air is about 20% thinner) probably added more stress on Feldman by forcing his heart and lungs to work harder. Michael Mileham, who made the behind-the-scenes movie Group Madness about the making of Yellowbeard, said he and Feldman swam to an island where a local was selling lobster and coconuts. Mileham and Feldman used the same knife on their lobsters; Mileham claimed he got shellfish poisoning the next day, and theorised that this could also have contributed to Feldman's death.

In an anecdotal story, cartoonist Sergio Aragonés was also filming nearby in a different production. While dressed for his role as an armed policeman, Aragonés abruptly encountered Feldman and, in introducing himself, frightened Feldman. Aragonés speculates that this possibly induced Feldman's fatal heart attack later in the evening. Aragonés has recounted the story with the punchline, "I killed Marty Feldman". The story was converted into a strip in Aragonés's issue of DC Comics' Solo.

He is buried in Forest Lawn – Hollywood Hills Cemetery near his idol, Buster Keaton, in the Garden of Heritage.

Vito":5946j12t said:
Another rocker, often seen with a very different kind of "pipe".

001-th11.png

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. Easy Peasy. I'm a huge fan going back to when I first saw them live in '69/70 during the Benefit tour.

I'm also given to understand that he has since given up all smoking.

Cheers,

RR

Ah, right Ian Anderson of Aqualung fame.
Jeeze. Too many beers here. But the aye thing got stuck in my craw and I had to get it out. Guess Ian had the eye thing as well.

This one oughta be a snap. He has played on (literally) thousands of records...many of them huge hits.

05141210.jpg