Hal o the wynd

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxerbuddy

Reaction score
I'm so dissapointed. I've been liking the Va's and VaPers I've been trying, so I decided to go to Peretti's and pick up a tin of this based on what some people have been saying about it on this forum. Love the way it tastes...earthy, peaty and sweet. Unfortunately it bites the shit out of my tongue. Tried it wet, tried it dry, still bites like a motherf#$@%&. I guess its the chemistry of the blend....just doesn't agree with my tongue. So I'm gonna post it in trade, if any of you guys have a Va or a VaPer that you'd like to trade for a 100g tin of HOTW with a bowl and a half taken out of it, PM me and we'll get something done.

Virginias are best sipped, not puffed.
If you can get the bowl to the point that it just barely smolders, you shouldn't have the bite problem.
If the problem continues, it may be as you stated, a chemical thing.

shootist51":deiml92m said:
Virginias are best sipped, not puffed.
If you can get the bowl to the point that it just barely smolders, you shouldn't have the bite problem.
If the problem continues, it may be as you stated, a chemical thing.
I appreciate the advice....I could be wrong but I don't think it's my technique since I haven't had a problem with any other Va's or VaPers.

I don't have quite the same problem with Hal o The Wynd. My problem is I simply don't like it that much. But you might try Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie. These two excellent Rattray's blends are far superior to HOTW for me.

Yeah I feel the same way about HOTW,it's a bit over hyped. You might think about putting it in a mason jar and cellaring it. Vas only get better with age.

I found myself in the same position with a tin of Marlin Flake a few years ago, so I put it in the cellar. And I'm glad I did because it smokes like a dream now, I wish I'd put a lot more away.

Plus I think you'll find that your palate will change over time, just a thought.

Peace-Mike :cheers:

I have this little meerschaum churchwarden pipe that you would be hard pressed to fit the tip of your pinky in. But loaded with HOTW, it really hits the zone for up to 45min. Just an amazing experience.

Jazzman":6jznglp6 said:
You might think about putting it in a mason jar and cellaring it. Vas only get better with age.
Definitely second that. Depending on how bad the bite it may take awhile. As long as it's at the proper moisture level when you jar it come back in 1-3 years and give it a go.

ZeroContent":iee3seph said:
Jazzman":iee3seph said:
You might think about putting it in a mason jar and cellaring it. Vas only get better with age.
Definitely second that. Depending on how bad the bite it may take awhile. As long as it's at the proper moisture level when you jar it come back in 1-3 years and give it a go.
Ha....I wish I was that patient...I don't have a huge stockpile of tobacco to begin with....so I'd like the stuff I do have now to be smokeable to me. Perhaps someday soon I'll be in a position to age some leaf. Thanks for the advice though

Ok...this just attests to my noobishness on pipesmoking. Opened the tin 4 days ago...like I said this shit ate my tongue for lunch. Before I made a trade I decided to give it one more chance. I can't believe 4 days would make such a huge difference. I got very minimal bite, almost none at all, and I can only assume this blend will mellow out even more. This stuff is great, I love the perique kindof white pepper spicyness that goes along with the earthy sweetness of this stuff.
I apologize to anyone who PM'd me about a trade but I'm actually going to keep it.....it's really good.

I love Escudo, I love HOTW now, I think I'm going to be partial to VaPers. Can you guys recommend some other VaPers that are good? I've heard good things about McConnel scotttish cake. I'm on a quest to find more good blends.

Boxerbuddy":sd881pjo said:
I love Escudo, I love HOTW now, I think I'm going to be partial to VaPers. Can you guys recommend some other VaPers that are good? I've heard good things about McConnel scotttish cake. I'm on a quest to find more good blends.
Some of my favorites: P.S. Luxury Navy Flake (the best bang for the buck in pipe tobacco when bought by the box-24 oz.= $1.70/oz.), Old Gowerie (similar to HOTW), P.S. Luxury Twist Flake, Orlick Golden Slice, Blackwoods Flake and Hamborger Veermaster (hard to come by).

WyoBob

Jimbo":9qj5i775 said:
I don't have quite the same problem with Hal o The Wynd. My problem is I simply don't like it that much. But you might try Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie. These two excellent Rattray's blends are far superior to HOTW for me.
+1 for Old Gowrie, my all time favorite...

Hi Boxerbuddy,

this year I also got to know some really nice vapers:
- Gawith & Hoggarth’s Louisiana Flake: very smooth, with no tongue bite at all. The perique is not too dominant in this one, but it contributes nicely to the overall taste. The same accounts for a slight hint of cocoa/chocolate aroma and a very slight hint of floral Lakeland aroma in this blend.
- C&D Bayou Morning (the mixture, not the flake!): a very earthy blend almost without any natural VA sweetness. The perique is very noticeable here. It is not a strong blend but a full flavor blend. The ribbon cut is easy to fill. It has become one of my favorites.
- DTM St. Bernard’s Flake: quite similar to the Hamborger Veermaster, only a bit stronger and with perique in it.

Thx Anders...next time I get to the tobacconist I'll grab a couple of these.

Used to, I thought I couldn't smoke Va's because they bite. Now I let them dry about an hour, and they are relatively biteless. HOTW is one of my favorites.

WyoBob":jtiapy31 said:
Old Gowerie (similar to HOTW), P.S. Luxury Twist Flake, Orlick Golden Slice, Blackwoods Flake and Hamborger Veermaster (hard to come by).
You asked for VA/Perique recommends; these are all straight VA.

I'd add a second vote for Scottish Cake, For me it's better than Escudo.

GLP's Fillmore is a real good one, A rich creamy smoke.

Three more to check out, all from McClelland
2015 bulk
Beacon
Saint James woods
For me these are variations on a central theme. that is they share a similar flavor profile.

I like to visualize it as 2015 made from the older coarser leaves at the bottom
of the plant and Beacon & SJW come from the younger sweeter leaves at the top