hate the shape, but can't deny the smoke

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I do not care for the dublin shape, or anything resembling that classic shape, tapering down to smaller. For example, within the dublin family is the calabash. I do not care for how they look, but in particular, I do not care for how they feel in the hand. It's not as if I have a death grip on my pipes, but I feel like the pipe is going to pop upwards and out of my grasp, like popping the top off a dandelion, at any moment. It both feels funny in my hand, but it also gives me a little anxiety that something unexpected is going to happen. A lack of control or something, though I've never lost control of a pipe. Dropped plenty of lighters and tampers, but never a pipe.

Here's the rub, though: of all the pipes I've owned, I've never had any pipe from the dublin shape family that didn't rank in the upper echelon of smokes. My belief is that it is the conical shape of the chamber. That same tapering down to smaller also seems, at least for me, to be a major element in performance. It's too bad more chambers aren't drilled like a cone.

One of the best smoking pipes in my collection is an Italian briar, informed by the general calabash shape, and it has never provided less than a 9/10 smoke. I rarely smoke it because I think it is ugly and doesn't feel right in my hand, but it is a smoking machine. I only bought it because it was a Buy It Now for 1/3 market value. A deal too good to pass up. It was not the inspiration for this thread. The inspiration for this thread was a Radice Rind Bamboo dublin I owned in the 90s. One of the few pipes I miss that I no longer have.

A Radice Rind Bamboo dublin. Sounds like a winner. I have one very highly prized Radice twin bore oil cured faux bamboo eighth bent apple kind of shape. Of all the pipes I’ve ever owned, it smokes the best.

Re the cone chamber shape…various chamber shapes seem to smoke far better than one would predict. From my experience a Prince is arguably the best shape for coarse dark flakes. I’ve had a half dozen over the years and each one, regardless of price or briar quality was a stellar smoker. To me, a medium Italian Prince with a longish slightly bent stem is THE ideal pipe.