Hats

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle Weiss":4l4c3d7r said:
Thanks RR. Do you find they run smaller or larger than their indicated size? It irritates me to no end headwear is very rarely fitted as they once were.
\

That one was a tad bit on the large size, which fit me perfectly. Yeah, I have a fat head...

My two favorite caps are both made by Jaxon. Cheap and great hats! My first one was the Flat cap. It's wool, and absolutely fantastic. Fits my head great

My second hat is a corduroy Duck Bill Cap. Same size (2X), and If I had to pick one, it'd be the second.

They both fit great and look great. Jaxon is the way to go. I plan to purchase more from them. Maybe a pork pie hat, maybe something else. Let me know whatcha think. Anyone else order from jaxon?
Zach

From :p long personal experience ( been wearing felt hats since I got my first Stetson back in 1959) STAY AWAY FROM WOOL FELT hats !! Save your pennies and get a good FUR FELT when you are ready to go for a brimmed style. I can HIGHLY recomend Akubra Hats of Australia. They are today's "...fan the fire, water the horse" hat that Stetson used to be! I've got 8 of theirs that I wear almost year round and will ALWAYS buy an Akubra !

I'm not sure if I'm ready to get into rims. I do definately hope so for I love the look of them. But for when I do, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

GuitarMyFriend":u4a2wvbx said:
I'm not sure if I'm ready to get into rims. I do definately hope so for I love the look of them. But for when I do, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.
It's kinda hard to wear one around here without looking like you're in a costume. I do like a nice Panama fedora in the summer, though. Looks good with a suit and tie or shorts and sandals, and with as muggy as it gets in these parts, it makes as much sense here as it does in Panama.

I've always loved fedoras but I feel they aren't for me. Maybe I should try one out...
Zach

Gentlemen, I have tried for a few days to get my account squared away to be able to post photos and am not having any luck. Therefore, to contribute to this thread, which I am greatly enjoying, I posted a new profile photo of myself in one of my Irish caps. I love Irish caps. I have had two for several years, although neither fit quite right. Last year my daughter and I visited a Haberdashery in Portland, Oregon and I was able to pick up two new caps, both of which fit fabulously. The one in my profile photo is a nice fitting one that I consider my formal cap, and the other is a larger, baggy newspaper boy type. I love them both. And I, like several of you, have a big head! I plan to visit haberdasheries when possible to build my stock of Irish caps. The haberdashery in Portland is the John Helmer Haberdasher. Good hunting!

I have a few favorites. In the cooler months I wear a wool newsboy more often than not. I have a black felt porkpie for Spring and Fall. And, in the Summer I wear a straw diamond crown pork pie or a stingy brim straw fedora.

Here's a recent picture of me in the Straw Pork Pie:
Fathers-Day-webphoto-650x430.jpg

Here's what I wear in the Texas heat, a Cuenca Brisa weave Panama from Panama Bob:

1-30-11007.jpg

And on those really cold days when the winds blowin' an Elosoqui Beret from Spain:

12-23-10013.jpg

Monbla,
That first Hat is GORGEOUS!!! Where can I pick one of those up?!?! I fell in love with that thing immediately!
Zach

GuitarMyFriend":u3s1yvtx said:
Monbla,
That first Hat is GORGEOUS!!! Where can I pick one of those up?!?! I fell in love with that thing immediately!
Zach
I get my Panama's from Panama Bob ( Robert Weber) up in Indiana. He has some of the best values currently available here in the US and is a GREAT
person to deal with. This one is a grade2 Cuenca,Brisa weave and I got it on sale from him last year. He has a website and also sells on the 'prey as well. Here's a link : http://panamas.biz/

Definitely the fedora is my favorite. I also like a packer which is often confused with a fedora but has a narrower brim but the crown is in two pieces instead of the bowl that is pinched down into shape (and sometimes falls into the category of "crappy mall fedora")
For a more casual day wear is an army surplus campaign hat withe bowl pushed back out into the bowl shape.

Darned Sean68 reminded me with his pics of his flat caps that I have been wanting one. I am generally a ball cap kinda guy, but as I get a little older and my tastes keep evolving I decided today to pick myself up a flat cap. Searched for a good while and ended up on the bay where I finally found a plaid flat cap made by Hats of Ireland. Reading through this thread it appears they are a good company which is nice because I tossed in the order for one today. It will be on its' way to IL and eventually over to me here. Thanks for the reminder and advice Sean.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Irish-Wool-Tweed-Flat-Cap-Brown-Pattern-Peaked-Hat-Ireland-/180897567360?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D304485385000713965%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26#ht_3060wt_952

I'm not very well informed concerning hats but I love them and have worn hats forever. My dad wore a hat all of his life as a salesman for a tobacco company. His favorite hats were Borsolino (sp) that he used to buy from Italy. The hats I wear are usually acquired second hand. I have several Stetson fur felt fedoras and a couple Texas made Resistol hats. Thanks for the links for the panama straw hats, which I need right now with this heat wave.
IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

The pipe is a favorite Kaywoodie .

riff raff":0f89z40d said:
That is a good looking combo Doc!

I love the plaid flat cap.

DSCF0335.jpg
My sentiments exactly. The herringbone is just too plain, in my opinion that is. I found one patchwork one I did like but then found this one and had to have it.

George Kaplan":xd7fok7r said:
monbla256":xd7fok7r said:
And on those really cold days when the winds blowin' an Elosoqui Beret from Spain:
Love the beret, Monbla. It suits you!
Thanks, it's from the Basque part of Spain/France where my father's mother was from. It's really a VERY practical cold weather headgear and I wear it a lot in the winter when those cold winds blow down the plains from Canada :p

Gentlemen, a few of my favorite hats. Two of my four Irish Caps (or flat caps?), me at work in Afghanistan, and my motorcycle helmet. Okay, the helmet is not a hat. But I am definitely in a happy place when I am wearing it!

Cheers!