Hats

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean,
Love that first tweed Irish Cap. It's definitely you all the way. I've got hats for all different occasions. For shooting skeet, playing bocce, fishing, playing golf. I don't play any of those games like an expert but at least I can look dapper!!!!! LOL

And Mr. DocWatson Sir, looking dapper is why we like hats, is it not? Thank you for the compliment, I am quite fond of the cap in the first photo myself.

docwatson":6eql922p said:
Sean,
Love that first tweed Irish Cap. It's definitely you all the way. I've got hats for all different occasions. For shooting skeet, playing bocce, fishing, playing golf. I don't play any of those games like an expert but at least I can look dapper!!!!! LOL
If you look dapper, you don't necessarily need to be good, right?

riff raff":3y8c0bvz said:
docwatson":3y8c0bvz said:
Sean,
If you look dapper, you don't necessarily need to be good, right?
Exactly RR :cheers:

Gentlemen, I am very pleased to be in the company of men with whom I can relate so well. Riff Raff, you put it so eloquently!

Cheers!

i.keenum":yvpr80xg said:
Nice motor cycle helmet, way to go with the arai.
Thank you, Sir! I love my new helmet. It is the Signet Q and is designed for men with larger, oval shaped heads. I used to get a sore, hot spot on my forehead whenever I wore a helmet. Now I can ride for hours in safe comfort. So, for you bigger headed boys out there, Arai Signet Q. Worth every penny.

Late on to this thread. I am usually wearing one of my kippahs indoors or at work if I have a hat on, but when outside?

I have what we refer to in Scotland as 'A wee Ba' heid.'
My head is very small and I have a round head and face. So not only do I have trouble getting hats to fit, I REALLY have to be careful when picking one that will make me look half decent instead of like a gnome.

In winter I prefer to wear this traditional Scottish Balmoral style cap that I knitted and felted. (My wife re-worked a historical pattern; she's a knitting genius.)
It can be worn with the brim pulled any which way to deal with the particular weather, but I usually wear it tugged forward like this.

582635_10151115654052652_1892283757_n.jpg

In summer I'm wearing this lovely pith helmet that I created for myself from a wicker round brim. (Seen at my birthday party which was historical costume themed. I was an Edwardian Explorer. The wood was some a friend just dropped off for the bonfire.)

403482_10100468933041336_999447556_n.jpg

I am, however, interesting in getting a hat in this style. My wife made me try on a kid's pilot hat at the airport to show how small my head is and I think I actually look pretty decent in it. Now if only I can find one that doesn't say 'Junior airline pilot' on it. I can't pull of that kind of hipster irony.

381340_10151015534185711_2070530753_n.jpg

@dreadgerbil,
the hat that you knitted, the Balmoral is superb. Never heard of that style, looks similar to a beret or such. Thanks for the photo's, except for the snow!!! LOL
Doc

docwatson":dkxm8pzj said:
@dreadgerbil,
the hat that you knitted, the Balmoral is superb. Never heard of that style, looks similar to a beret or such. Thanks for the photo's, except for the snow!!! LOL
Doc
Thanks. The more modern ones are definitely like a large beret with a bobble on the top, but they are actually pretty useful. This more historic style is, I think, more appropriate for general attire than a modern Balmoral. I love it and get a lot of wear out of it.

Dreadgerbil":7zergcap said:
docwatson":7zergcap said:
@dreadgerbil,
Doc
...The more modern ones are definitely like a large beret with a bobble on the top, but they are actually pretty useful.
As you can see, I often wear my "semi-modern" Balmoral when fly fishing. I do like the streamlined look of that knitted one, though.

George, that hat is awesome! It has "eccentric bastard" written all over it.

Sheesh, now I gotta go take pictures of my lids. :|

I think you guys have me beat, though.

George Kaplan":htku8e00 said:
Dreadgerbil":htku8e00 said:
docwatson":htku8e00 said:
@dreadgerbil,
Doc
...The more modern ones are definitely like a large beret with a bobble on the top, but they are actually pretty useful.
As you can see, I often wear my "semi-modern" Balmoral when fly fishing. I do like the streamlined look of that knitted one, though.

That's a beautiful one. And I agree, they are perfect for fly-fishing. I actually have a sheepskin fronted sporran that is perfect for holding my flies when I fish!

I've always admired those that could pull off looking great in a hat, I could never find one that looked that good on me let alone spend a relatively absurd amount of money on one... (although spending a couple hundred bucks on something that you are going to intentionally light on fire may also seem a bit absurd, but I digress).

Went out to the Northwest Highland Festival today and came across one that fit the bill, A Scala Classic Outback in a dark, dark olive with a 3in. brim. I know ...it's wool and it's relatively inexpensive but hey, it's the most comfortable and best looking I've ever had and it works for me, I may graduate to something better later.

Like smoking a pipe, it's an ever evolving taste, eventually you find the perfect one... well, for a little while... maybe.

Scott

It's snowing pretty good here in Maryland this evening, so I had on my old Woolrich hat. We went to a buddys' open mic night. The wife snapped a picture of my hat with her glass of wine and band in the background. I found that little pipe tie tac at a flea market a few years ago.

1185453_10202947780243412_491193778_n.jpg

The only "HAT" I wear, of course I haven't any recent photos of me in one so this 1980's photo will have to do. Resistol 5X beaver, I've got a new one now but, still own this one in the photo even though it's a little worse for wear I still wear it for the rain and snow.

Scored a new trapper hat for xmas. gotta love the big fluffy flaps keepin' your ears warm.

My wife got me this fantastic hat for Christmas. It is an Irish tweed patchwork hat made by Hanna hats from Donegal in Ireland. In the picture I've imitated FishnBanjo and photographed it with one of my favorite pipes, an older Savinelli Non Pariel with real horn ferrule.