Have I missed any blends with cigar leaf?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, do any of the cigar blends listed happen to be cakes/flakes? I don't believe I've ever had (or even heard of) cigar leaf in cake, only in mixtures. I wonder if there's a reason for that.

Okay, to answer my own question: Key Largo is pressed.

If anything else is, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

CLRV":g2fkr6ua said:
This is slightly off topic, but, I just received some of GH's Sweet Whiskey rope. It tastes surprisingly 'cigarish' at least to my taste buds.

I haven't the foggiest if there is actual cigar leaf in there, but thought it was worth a mention.
G&H's Brown Bogie also tastes of cigar

Blackhorse":8e5wabcs said:
I had to chuckle at the 'comment line' regarding your poor departed grandpa. Was he laughing maniacally or snoring when he went off the cliff?
Actually, he died at 99 3/4 having smoked 40 Capstan Full Strength every day since his teens. I'm banking on his genes.

My technique to "knowing" what cigar leaf is in a blend, is to flake an inch off my very own favorite Partagas Black Label Oscuro cigar. A second or two in an old tobacco dedicated Braun coffee grinder and I'm set. One inch makes quite a bit of blending tobacco that I add a pinch at a time to a bowl of C&D Engine 99 for my personal best cigar blend.

I cracked open my first tin of The Bankers yesterday and have tried it in a few pipes now. I'm going to assume that if there weren't any cigar leaf it would taste different, but frankly I can't actually taste the leaf....

@KevinP

have you tried Peretti's Cuban Mixture yet? Not full bodied, around medium flavor (but deep), but a really awesome Burley that gets a nice depth from all the other leaf, including cigar.

Blackhorse":7vwpyit4 said:
RURALDEAN - thanks for chiming in here. I too keep reading and hearing very positive comments about Habana Daydream...people seem to LOVE it. One day I'll likely add it to an order.
aamof I'm smoking this right now.

The Lat is certainly noticeable, but doesn't overwhelm. Nicely balanced. Good med English.

Very "dry" as opposed to sweet though, not that it's a bad or good thing. I normally reach for P&W Churchill or #78 and they both have a sweet edge that I prefer. But this does hold some promise.

Cheers,

RR

BTW, do any of these cigar-leaf blends *not* have latakia?

Don't get me wrong: I'm a big latakia lover, but I'd be curious in trying some without latakia, which always wins out in the comptetion for my attention.

Blackhorse":i01c9zc5 said:
Slight error on my part. I'd forgotten to bold the blends like I said I had.

Note: What I look for in a cigar blend isn't a blend that (a) tastes like a cigar (cause there isn't one) but a blend in which the cigar leaf significantly enhances what is already there, or (2) a blend where even though the cigar leaf might not be able to be detected...is just damn good!

Now, a couple of you have already id'd Billy Budd as a top choice. I regret to say that it's not for me. It has FAR too much latakia in it for my enjoyment. I seem to have delevoped a sensitivity to the "L" weed and can only tolerate blends in which it plays a subtle, condimental role.

My favorite blends with cigar leaf are as follows:

My Number One: Storm Front. Two Burleys and Cigar Leaf. Starts 'Burley sweet' and burns quickly to the mid-point with TONS of smoke. Very easy to ignite and manage. Needs frequent light tamping til mid-point. Then it 'darkens' re: the flavor profile and goes to the end with an almost 'Dark Gawithian Goodness'.

Others: Stogie: not as sweet on the start as Storm Front, but a related profile. Excellent. Churchill: Very nutty-Burley at the start and shifts profile like the prior two. Cuban Mixture and Peretti's 500 are of a kind as they contain a range of tobaccos that are very high quality and offer balance from start to finish. The Cuban mixture is very engaging and keeps your interest with that weave of flavors thing. The 500 is more of a codger type outdoor blend. The Bankers is an interesting blend in which Latakia is condimental - I used to LOVE it, but it's faded down my list due to the discovery of the others listed as well as it's latakia component. Pipe smokers are, if anything, fickle! lol

Last Note: As many, many pipe guys LOVE Billy Budd...many of you will likely prefer some of the other options listed. As always, explore, play, enjoy yourself in whatever way suits your preferences. It's all OK.
Since you're not big into latakia, should I read this as the favourites you mentioned, except Bankers, do not have any?

I'll try to put togrther a comprehensive list of blendswith cigar leaf, but no lataki. I should be able to do it later tonight. Thinking in that direction...Robert McConnell has a grouping of blends that are labeled with various cigar leaf designations. Haven't tried any of 'em, but I'd like to...esp. the Caribe (for some reason). Anybody out there familiar with those...firsthand?

And John, thanks for reminding me about StormFront. I'd forgotten about that one. lol

According to 'Tobacco Reviews' website's Advanced Search...which is totally easy to use BTW (nudge, nudge) the following lists those blends that have cigar leaf, but no latakia. There might be some not listed, esp. if they might have noted 'Orientals' - and one of those was latakia, but not specified, etc. Some might well argue with the tambolaka thing...but the guys that import it claim it as a cigar leaf...as they roll cigars out of the stuff (never tried one of those...no death wish here). I was thinking that I missed one, but looking down the list I found it...Chesapeake by Faders. I was just reading about it the other night, must have been lurking in the shadows, etc. Anyway, also note that a number of these are not available in the USofA or might be out of production. Enjoy.

451: Gray Ghost Cornell & Diehl
526: Chopped Cigar Leaf Cornell & Diehl
Amsterdamer Altadis
Black Beauty Peter Stokkebye
Black Cavendish Troost
Blend No.500 Peretti
Brazil Robert McConnell
Canadian Plug Iwan Ries
Chesapeake Fader's
Crossroads John Patton
Cuban Style Cigar Blend Compton's of Galashiels
Dominican Glory McClelland
Dominican Glory Maduro McClelland
Fragrant Blend Ashton
Harvest Home John Patton
Lord Craven's Havana Blend Rich's
Old Year Mixture James Fox
Oriental Dusk John Patton
Pure 100% Cuba Robert McConnell
Pure Caribe Robert McConnell
Pure Havana Robert McConnell
Special Tobacco Savinelli
Stogie pipesandcigars.com
Storm Front John Patton
Tambolaka Pipe Tobacco Tambolaka Natural Tobaccos
The Bankers James Fox
Virginia Spice pipesandcigars.com
Virginian No.10 Sobranie of London

Blackhorse":d3o891hd said:
According to 'Tobacco Reviews' website's Advanced Search...which is totally easy to use BTW (nudge, nudge) the following lists those blends that have cigar leaf, but no latakia.

The Bankers James Fox
Virginian No.10 Sobranie of London
These were always a couple of my personal faves. Though I cannot speak to many of the blends in this list, these two do contain Latakia. In the case of the delicious Bankers, it comes through loud and clear, and with the VA#10, a blend that has been the subject of some controversy with a certain "certified master blender," you can not only taste it, but I have documentation that proves the fact.

A few people have asked me why I haven't done a cigar leaf blend without Latakia. The only answer is that I haven't come up with anything that really made me happy. The VA/cigar experiments have all been a little 'flat,' so far. But, I'm still working on things! One of these days...

Greg: If I were to add my own Partagas Leaf to one of your latakia blends which would you suggest? Right now I have an open tin of Maltese Falcon. I was thinking of giving it a try. What do you think?

LIPIPE":1rb4rulo said:
Greg: If I were to add my own Partagas Leaf to one of your latakia blends which would you suggest? Right now I have an open tin of Maltese Falcon. I was thinking of giving it a try. What do you think?
Might be interesting, but tread lightly. A little cigar leaf goes a long way, and it can quickly dominate a blend. Fillmore, too, might make an interesting combination to play with. Have fun with it! That's what it's all about, after all.

This thread has been a good read and timely for me as well.
Haven't been in this neck o' the woods for some time, other pursuits dontcha know.
I just started to explore cigar blends myself within the last month
The 4 I've tried to date, in order of 1st impression enjoyment, have all been covered but I'll throw em' out anyway.

Cornell/Diehl Habana Daydream
Hearth&Home Stogie
Hearth&Home Strikeforce
Hearth&Home Virginia Spice

And yes, Habana Daydream seems to be all others have said about it. Damn fine smoke.

Ok Greg: Right now as I'm keyboarding my Savinelli Roma is burning your delicious Maltese Falcon. My next bowl goes with a mixture of several Partagas flakes. If it works I'll PM you and then I want you to develop GL Pease "Marty Tannen's" blend. I'll be sure to keep it stocked in my den right next to Jack Peterson's American Patriot which was my first "Marty's" blend. If I'm smoking a cigar blend, I need to be sure that the cigar flake is the finest maduro/oscuro ingredient out there. I wonder about the others on the market. As you and I know, when it comes to pipe tobacco, quality counts. We really don't know what cigar leaf is actually blended into the other smokes. I don't have any Fillmore on hand so perhaps you can give that a try or ask Craig Tarler to send me a sample. C&D has my address info.

Greg and Brothers all: Now I'm on a second bowl of Maltese Falcon with the addition of my Partagas leaf. The smoke is enhanced by the spice of the cigar yet still maintains the flavors and aromas of the Maltese Falcon. To my taste buds, it's a tastier smoke and one I'm enjoying. I would appreciate comments from other's who may be able to make the same experiment especially from Greg who has the "Master's" experience when it comes to blending a pipe smokers delight.