Headaches

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amenhotep04

Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with headaches with some pipe tobaccos? The tobaccos that work for me generally are aromatics that blend virginia, burley, and black cavendish. I can smoke that all day long, and no problems. Other pipe tobaccos that are primarily some form of cavendish and I get headaches before a bowl is done.

Just curious. It's been this way for 11 years.

:farao:

It sounds to me like you need to work Walnut into your rotation as your primary smoke.

I had a problem sort of like that when I was young but only with certain tobaccos. Could very well be an alergy thing with certain chemicals added to the tobacco or the type of leaf. Experimentation with different weeds and keeping track of it all is about all I can suggest.

jlong":juf4vew5 said:
I had a problem sort of like that when I was young but only with certain tobaccos. Could very well be an alergy thing with certain chemicals added to the tobacco or the type of leaf. Experimentation with different weeds and keeping track of it all is about all I can suggest.
That's about what it has evolved into. I go to the store, pick up an ounce of something, and go from there. If it works, I add it to the list. If not, I add it to a different list.

I'll look into the walnut thing as well.

Justpipes":enlv1x0t said:
It sounds to me like you need to work Walnut into your rotation as your primary smoke.
True. With the seizures and projectile vomiting, you won't even notice the headaches!!! :lol:

The only time I've gotten a headache while smoking a pipe was from one of two factors: clinching the pipe too tight in my teeth (as happens when I'm canoeing a stretch of rough water and it's in my mouth for quite a while without a break), but that seems to be caused by the tension in the jaws, not the smoke itself; or over consumption of cheap booze while smoking, which again is not the tobacco's fault but rather mine.

:drunken:

Natch

I'll get headache from SG's St. James Flake (too bad as this would be one very fine tasting tobacco) and also from Proper English I ordered from Up In Smoke Texas (don't know if it's their house blend or made by somebody else) which also had nice taste. That Up In Smoke Texas had other blends that were very nice too, by the way!

I got a headache from some Samuel Gawith Black XXX Rope. That stuff…only my humble opinon, but a mouthful of burning leather and molten rubber, (note, a mouthful not a bowlful) has nothing on that fabled blend. I got half way through a small bowl and used the rest for practical jokes. Sorry Mr and Mrs Gawith, but perhaps we could replace water boarding with a bowl of that.

I get them often...but I also get headaches often just for the hell of it...mostly due to neck problems..

I figure the cause may be:

A) When smoking a pipe I am usually either sitting still reading for a prolonged period or doing something else, most likely my posture isn't the best when smoking and I end up with a headache.

B) Inhaling smoke...I don't actually inhale smoke when puffing, but I've grown into the habit of puffing my pipe, and "sniffing" the smoke I just puffed out...also happens naturally when breathing through the nose an "breath smoking"

Yeah, with me its one's with cigar leaf. Even if it is in very small quantities, bang there it is.
icon_evil.gif

JohnnyO":q7x9raqn said:
I get them often...but I also get headaches often just for the hell of it...mostly due to neck problems..
You might want to check out an allergist. I had problems with my neck for years. Went to several different kinds of doctors who all said they knew what was causing the problem. Nothing changed. Then I went to an allergist. He said my allergies were causing a lot of infections, and it was affecting the lymph nodes in my neck. It's been three years now, and I rarely get those pains in my neck. About the only time it happens is when the barometric pressure changes drastically.

I believe Nicotine is a vasodilator, so it may be that certain blends give you enough juice to cause a headache, when your veins go from happy little tubes to madly throbbing super-highways.

Do you successfully smoke any really strong blends, in terms of nicotene?

I don't know what would qualify as a strong blend.

I know that when smoking cigars I get the same feeling. Not Cubans, but some of the others.

Wouldn't a vasodilator actually work to remove headaches? One of the benefits of tobacco is its calming effect. It helps people relax and think more clearly. Part of that is the breathing, but also, like Niacin, if it serves as a vasodilator, then it would increase blood flow and typically remove a headache, providing of course the headache was caused by tension. And in turn allow for more precise thought.

Dammit Jim, I'm a carpenter, not a doctor!

I don't know. I'm grasping at straw and trying to sound intelligent. Is it working?

:D

Sasquatch":qbqxgue0 said:

I don't know. I'm grasping at straw and trying to sound intelligent. Is it working?

Stick to pipe making and quantum mechanics.

And may you forever live in a state of pon farr.

Sasquatch":obk8jeya said:

For most armies throughout history, their "medical" personnel were one and the same! Have saw, will travel. :affraid:

Natch

Sasquatch":oo4opadr said:
I believe Nicotine is a vasodilator, so it may be that certain blends give you enough juice to cause a headache, when your veins go from happy little tubes to madly throbbing super-highways.
I looked it up, and the medical field says tobacco is a vasoconstrictor. Which I suppose then that a strong tobacco would facilitate the constriction of the veins, which in turn could promote a tension headache of some kind.

Once upon a time, I heard a radio documentary on Guinness. The reporter was interviewing some old Irish guy and she asked him what made the beer so special. He said "Weeellll Guinness is so special because you never get a hangover from drinkin' it. Don't matter how many you have, you'll not get a headache from the Guinness. It's the smokin'."

Sooo.... what do you drink while smokin'?