Hello from Afghanistan...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks fellas! This is a great forum with a ton of very helpful, knowledgeable gents. The Dan's Blue Note came highly recommended and I can't wait for its arrival. I will have to post a review when it all comes in.

NewSmoke":hlkze15l said:
Thanks fellas! This is a great forum with a ton of very helpful, knowledgeable gents. The Dan's Blue Note came highly recommended and I can't wait for its arrival. I will have to post a review when it all comes in.
Look forward to your review...your going to love it.

Too bad we're not closer, I should have quite an assortment of tobacco going here pretty soon....probably way more than I will be able to smoke anytime soon.

Can we mail tobacco here? I will check and if they will allow it I will send you some of my stash so you can try some other blends out.

Stay safe!!!

That sounds like an excellent idea. Because it's inter-theater mail, it should be free and there's no customs forms/inspections to worry about. I would be interested in trying some different stuff and would have no issues sharing the couple of tins that I have coming. Let me know what you find out...Eric.

Welcome aboard! Thanks for doing what you're doing, Keep your head on a swivel and we'll see you around the boards!

Welcome, Eric. You should have no problem drying out your tobacco to a proper moisture level where you are, just leave it unsealed for a few hours and it will probably be quite dry!

Please share your experiences.

Natch

I wasn't sure if I needed to dry it or not. I had a hard time keeping the Blue Note lit and there was a bit of a gurgle towards the middle of my smoke. Tonight, I will leave some out to dry and try my luck again. Other than that, I really like the Blue Note. It has a mild taste and a wonderful smell. The Peterson is a nice pipe, good weight and well balanced. I will get some pics up soon. Thanks for the advice!!

Eric, welcome and thank you for your service. You've already gotten plenty of good advice, so I'll throw in a little as well. The vaunted Missouri Meerschaum is the serviceman's best friend. It is inexpensive, smokes well, and thrives in adverse climate conditions. Order some if you can, if not, let us know and we'll get some to you. One more thought, it's rumored there are some very talented pipecarvers serving in your theater. You might inquire and be able to expand your collection in a way we cannot.

Best wishes,

Sounds like your off to a great start. (the B.O.B. is like a world library of Pipes and Tobacco full of great People)

As a newbie myself, I like Carter Hall an Over The Counter brand that comes in its own 1.5oz carry pouch - Lane bulk; 1-Q Cavendish, a mild all day

smoke - and this months favorite, Peter Stokkebye; Deluxe Luxury Navy Flake, my morning and evening coffee smoke.

They all for me, round out the day and won't break the bank. (they will stay in my rotation as I continue to test the waters)

Be Safe on your journey, John.

Welcome to the BoB.
There's plenty to smoke in country. 8) You must not however, take the piss test afterward...it will not go well for you.
If you can take a hop to Incirlik, they have some very good prices on Meerschaum.
The German's, as you know, take care of their troops, and are resupplied frequiently with tobacco and beer.
The Americans screw their troops at every opportunity.
Any of the S.F guys can help you out.

Sand18F...truer words were never spoken my friend. I always know where the 18s are at!

Boulder...I will have to try some of those...there are SO many different blends out there!

Lesath...right after I read your post, I saw one of the guys here with an MM. We immediately had a nice conversation and will be trading tobaccos soon! I'm going to see what I can find as far as pipe carvers go here.

I just got my setup in a couple of days ago....this is one nice pipe!

CIMG0011.jpg

CIMG0008.jpg

nice.... I have 3 petersons.. and i like them for every day pipes... it's been a while since I smoked one of them though..

Find out where the workshop is on base and you will probably find some hobbiest there if your lucky... you can't really pack a lathe and sanding machines in your ruck sack..

James