Hello from Japan

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjp

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! My name is Chuck and I've been smoking pipes for about 12 years. I used to be pretty active on different pipe BB's, but pretty much dropped off about 4 years ago or so. Got into audio and coffee and that took up a lot of my online time. I was missing the BOB crowd and wanted to come back. Mike Brissett guided me here and it looks like a great place.

I work on Yokosuka Naval Base in Japan (home to the USS George Washington and the 7th Fleet). Love my base and living in Japan. Although, lately it's been pretty rough. The damn earthquakes can get a little nerve racking, but we are all safe here so I got nothing to complain about. Been spending a lot of my time lately helping with the relief efforts and that really helps keep a person sane.

Looking forward to being a member of this community and getting to know you all better.

Chuck

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll take some pics of pipes soon, but until then I put a pic in my avatar of some espresso pouring from my machine.

welcome! hope you have tried out a kiseru by now. i happen to own 2 and they're very interesting smokers.

Like Carlos said. I remember you from the old Stokers Haven board (or at least I think I remember, as reality and imagination are becoming increasingly intertwined in my head these days!). You'll love the board, lots of good people, some old faces, and a few idiots (and you all know who you are, right? :no: ). Kinda like life in general.

Natch

Natch":ybzt3xs1 said:
Like Carlos said. I remember you from the old Stokers Haven board (or at least I think I remember, as reality and imagination are becoming increasingly intertwined in my head these days!). You'll love the board, lots of good people, some old faces, and a few idiots (and you all know who you are, right? :no: ). Kinda like life in general.

Natch

If I remember right, Big JP ran the 2005 POY which was a Moretti Canadian. A really superb sandblasted Canadian.

That was me Carlos. I like that pipe too, but I sure wish it was just a tad shorter. Standard pipe cleaners are just a bit too short to work at their best. Moretti gave us a good deal back then with the discount on any of his pipes. I picked up a few others and still smoke them all the time. Remember the fiasco with the meers we had one year? :shock:

Natch- depending on who you talk to, I may be one of the idiots. :lol:

Carlos- I just saw in your profile you have a Ruthenberg....I'm jealous. I'll bet that's a hell of a good smoker.

portasio- don't have a kiseru and really haven't given them any thought. But now that you mention it, I may have to give one a try. Not sure if I can load as much perique in it like you seem to enjoy. :shock:

bigjp":95ebtm1a said:
portasio- don't have a kiseru and really haven't given them any thought. But now that you mention it, I may have to give one a try. Not sure if I can load as much perique in it like you seem to enjoy. :shock:
you are correct, i may need 2 or 3 bowls of perique in a kiseru. i find any shag cut tobacco can be smoked in it as long as it's moist enough to be rolled into a ball. i've read about the japanese angel hair tobacco (koiki kizami i think it's called). i've seen videos of it being made and smoked, but never tried it myself. here's an interesting one on the whole manufacturing process of this unique tac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV_VBnRMBwU

it's not available in the us, so you may want to try it out while you're there. otherwise i heard drum smokes real well in the kiseru too.

cheers!

Cool video. I'm going to look for it and pick some up. I'll let you know when I find it and I'm sure I can get some to you.

wow, that'd be simply awesome, but don't feel obliged in any way, please. i'd be content with your impressions on it, if you do come across it by chance. i read somewhere it's not easily available, but i guess that depends where you are in japan.

glad you liked the video. this here is my favorite tutorial on smoking the kiseru:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcc6o9P-q40

enjoy the sound track too!

thanks, and take care,

mau

Hello there,

My daughter lives and works in Japan. She lives in Imaichi. I just got back from spending 6 weeks with her 2 weeks before the earthquake hit. I told her, damn, I'm only gone two weeks and things get totally out of hand?

I'm with you, I have spent a total of 13 weeks in Japan with my daughter, and it is an amazing a beautiful country. Because she lives there, and has a car, I've gotten to see so much that a normal tourist would never see.

Welcome to the forum. I love Osaka city hardcore punk / crust punk music ! I have a friend who lives there and teaches english.

Erik