Hello from Kentucky!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sburchett

Reaction score
Greetings!

I just registered after perusing your forums, linked to from (who else?) Google. I was doing a search for tobacco species and your board was one of the results. I found a lot of really good information here, and I am going to do a thorough reading for the forums.

I have been smoking for nearly forty years. I started with cheroots (I was just a kid) and "progressed" through various brands of cigarettes (Merit, Marlboro, etc.). I started smoking a pipe when I was in college and still like a bowl or too. My most recent experience with commercial cigarettes was Pall Mall non-filter, which my father and his grandfather before him smoked. My father quit smoking before I was born (emphysema), but I still remember my grandfather saving his butts to roll when he ran out of store-boughts. :D

I became disabled about six years ago and was stuck with my disability check and effectively poor, so I explored a cheaper alternative. I was not about to smoke those "barn sweeping" cigarettes; Pall Mall really is a premium brand. What I ended up doing was roll-my-own from pipe tobacco-- and I have never went back to commercial cigarettes! I am currently experimenting with growing my own tobacco as well.

What led me here was an interest in the finer things in life: better blends of tobacco. I currently use "Smoker's Pride Cherry Cavendish" as my preferred tobacco, but I know that is just (more or less) a default choice, as it is readily available at my local cigarette convenience store.

I do still smoke a pipe occasionally, but am much more comfortable with a cigarette. I hope I won't be ostracized for my preference and hope to learn a lot about the better tobaccos from this site.

I welcome suggestions and comments of any kind-- my mind is wide open right now.

Steve

Welcome, Steve. If we ostracised all those who didn't smoke exactly what I do, the way I do, well, I'd be talking to myself (which I often seem to be, but we won't discuss my problems today :lol: ). Please join in the threads as you can.

Natch

I also just found you on Facebook and requested that you add me as a friend. 8)

Welcome,
I'm sure the Brothers will expand your horizon concerning good pipes and fine leaf.
Doc

I must admit, I am already considering a MM Country Gentleman. I had temporarily forgotten cobs, for some reason.

When I was in boot camp, I smoked a cheap corncob pipe I picked up in the PX. It was mostly a reaction to the drill sergeant's "Smoke 'em if you got 'em" followed two minutes (or less) later by "AttenTION!" signaling the end of our break. I just shoved my pipe in my pocket and was ready to go.