Hello from the Middle of Wisconsin

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antmill

Reaction score
Hello all,
My Name is Tony, Ant for short, I'm from Wisconsin (central), and have enjoyed several pipes for about 12 years now. I found this forum searching for a loose stem fix, (which is now solved thank you all), and am hoping to stay. Now I can fix a few more expensive pipes from my past to use again, but find myself currently enjoying a $20 smoke shop cheapie, all I can say is, it just smokes well.
I'm a vintage and classic bicycle collector/restorer, have a garage full plus, and am often given the stink eye from the more "liberated" modern cyclists that pass as I puff and pedal. Regularly accused of being a nerd, and sometimes called pappy by my kids friends due to the pipe, maybe a community such as this will be refreshing. At least it will be better than the "other" pipe smoker in my area that colors in his mustache with a sharpie, is nearly 70 and tries to woo teenagers at the grocery store entrance.
Until they make me register my pipe with the state and I need a license to carry it, I suppose your all stuck with me.

Welcome Ant! I hope you enjoy yourself here; I know I am!

"T" -- fellow newcomer

Hello and welcome, I'm sure you will enjoy it here. On a more personal note, try and encourage the term "unfashionably eccentric", it sounds so much nicer than "nerd". I've always felt if people are going to insist on labelling you, then you ought to have a say as to what that label is. welcome again and happy smoking.

Nick.

antmill":7nhzgx2p said:
At least it will be better than the "other" pipe smoker in my area that colors in his mustache with a sharpie, is nearly 70 and tries to woo teenagers at the grocery store entrance.
HA!

Welcome, Ant. I'm sure you'll enjoy this group. I'm orginally from Minneapolis.

antmill: Welcome, buddy !!! By the way, which cheese goes best with a pipe ???? I presume you are a Cheesehead (Packers) fan??? First game tonight!!!!

Welcome,

I'm new here myself. Great bunch of guys here with more tips and advice than I know what to do with. Enjoy!

BTW, I too am a big fan of cheese.....

NeroWolfe":atm4j2l0 said:
antmill: Welcome, buddy !!! By the way, which cheese goes best with a pipe ???? I presume you are a Cheesehead (Packers) fan??? First game tonight!!!!
Yes, of course I'm a Cheesehead, I apologize for assuming it would be common knowledge, but we bleed sharp cheddar (no Velveeta here).
The best cheese pairing for a pipe is "smoked"... :lol: but be warned, the combo of smoke, and cheese requires a good scotch or the mouth gets nasty.
And although I'm skipping the pregame show, the Pack shall grace my TV.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Welcome Ant, so what are you waiting for...JUMP ON IN ON THE FUN :cheers:

Ya, hey dere Ant. Hows ya doin', hey? I'm a former cheesehead of about 30 yrs. Lived most of my time growin' up in the 'burbs of Mawaukee doancha know. Know Wizgonsin pretty well too.

Spent much time losing various brain cells in the Mad town in the early 70's (Soglin for Mayor hey), chowing down on pizza at Paisans in both the original location under the Porta Bella and then the present site. Still my favorite pie after all these years. Ya, their "super hot pie" with hot yellow banana peppers, pepperoni, and onions is to die for hey.

And have youse been to Baumgartners in Monroe? OMG, dey do dis sammich wit Wizgonsin limburger, onions, braunschweiger, and fresh ground horseradish on dark German Rye bread that will bang yer stumpfiddle!

:tongue:

Where are you in da state? Me, I used to drown many worms up in Eagle River back in the 70s. Not much in the way of catch, but sure got a lot of beer in. Actually my buds did catch a couple Muskies one time but me, I got nuttin!

Hated to leave the state, but duty beaconed. Been here in the Pac NW for 21 years now. Still have a lot of old and close friends in Wizgonsin, and my late Pap and Mom are buried there. So I gots a reason to go back every now and again.

I should mention my Pap smoked nothing but Uhles #255 as long as I can remember. Never any other. One brand man was my Pap.

When I got into pipes in the 90's that's what I started out with. I figured if it was good enough for my Pap, then it was good enough for me.....

ain'a?

Cheers,

RR

Hey Ant, welcome aboard, from the sunny south shore of Lake Winnebago.
Always great to have another Cheesehead at BoB.
I used to deer hunt around Pittsville. You anywhere in that neighborhood?
Any way, welcome to BoB, and enjoy!! :rendeer:

Welcome, Tony. Being from the middle of Wissoland, do you have any of the early runs from Trek, back before the national buy out, in the early 80s? I've got a beauty of a prototype model a friend of mine made (didn't go into production, so he gifted it to me). Great bikes, and a great state for touring and Sagbraws. Nothing like a rolling, pastoral state where the counties spend half their annual budget on keeping the roads up (milk has to get to market from every farm every day!), so you have these incredible, smooth (well, usually!), newer asphalt roads winding through this lovely countryside with little auto traffic.

Does Wisconsin still have the highest bicycle ownership per capita in the nation? I know they used to. Anyway, welcome.

Natch