Hello from Tulsa

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLRV

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I've been reading the forums for a few days now; really quite impressed with the level of discussion and information available on here.

A bit about myself:

I'm a 26 year old law student in Tulsa, OK. Originally from Philadelphia.

I first attempted to smoke a pipe when I was 17 in Italy. I had always been fascinated by the process and depth that went into pipe smoking. And, of course, the smell. I wanted to love it. I knew I would love it. So, I went out, bought the pipe and took a random shot in the dark with a tin. Packed up lit it and, well, hated it. Not surprising since I didn't have even the smallest idea what I was doing and the tobacconist and I couldn't' converse. Out the setup went.

Flash forward a few years and my mother gave me a bent apple Peterson. I tried again and didn't dislike it the second time. But, it still sat around in drawers for quite a few years until my first year in lawschool (fall of 2009). I found it when I was packing to move. My dad had smoked for years and still had some tobacco around. I popped a tin and tried once again.

It finally clicked. I was in love.

Here it is a year and a half later and I have taken a big chunk of my father's collection, a few of my grandfathers, and am beginning to do the estate pipe buying routine. Still a very newbie smoker, but I love it just about as much as anything in the world. More so in some cases.

It's a real pleasure to have found the Brothers of Briar and I look forward to participating in the various discussions as time goes on. I imagine my questions will far outweigh my input for quite a while.

Best-

Charlie

Welcome. I bought my first pipe when I was living in Tulsa in 1973. See if Ted's Pipe Shop is still there at Utica Square Shopping Center; they used to have some nice house blends.

NeroWolfe":9sh89nev said:
Welcome. I bought my first pipe when I was living in Tulsa in 1973. See if Ted's Pipe Shop is still there at Utica Square Shopping Center; they used to have some nice house blends.
Nero-

I'm a regular at Ted's, go to TU so its right down the road from me. I'm in love with their County Cork blend at the moment, smoked it the whole way back from Tulsa to Philadelphia for break this Christmas. It's the double shotgun stop for me; Ted's and just to the left the Bottle Shop. Fast way to spend some cash on a Friday.

Thanks to all for the welcomes.

Best-
Charlie

Welcome, Charlie, and your first experience is not unique among us. Many of us bought a pipe, some unknown tobacco, and proceeded to do just about everything wrong in an attempt to smoke it. It's amazing any of us made it through that experience. I sure wish there had been the equivalent of this type of board to help us along.

Glad to have you here.

Natch

Charlie-

Nice to hear that you are taking on the family tradition of pipe smoking. Imagine how many good smokes your father an granddad had out of those pipes! very cool story, enjoy the board.

Welcome to the group!

I remember stirring ashes and unburned tobacco mid-way through a bowl. We all started somewhere.

Buddy

Playing catch up here.. Greetings and hope you enjoy this place as much as I do.. :cheers: