Help me start my Cellar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZombieWeinerDog

Reaction score
i have got around 100 dollars to start a small cellar. Wondering what and where i should buy from.

What to buy depends on your taste really. From what I read here and there, the best tobaccos to cellar are virginias and virginia/perique blends followed by english blends. Some people say burleys cellar well, some say they don't. Most people seem to agree that aromatics are not the best choice for cellaring.

Where to buy? I find that smokingpipes.com has some of the best prices around.

Any of the main retailers will have competitive pricing/service. Smoking Pipes, MARS Cigars, 4Noggins, Pipes and Tobacco, etc etc. I spread it around. I even go to some of the Brick and Mortars that are more local in distribution.

As far as purchases. What do you like? Cannot hurt to get more. Especially if it's in bulk and you can get canning jars to seal some of it away in. Some guys only buy tins. As long as you check them, that works. As a general rule, Virginia blends can use plenty of aging. Those more oriental and latakia based may benefit from aging. Burleys, not so much, but even if they don't turn into something magical, they don't get hurt either. Aromatics in the American style may lose some of their flavor over time.

I watch for deals. Try to purchase a fair amount in bulk. But I have plenty of smaller tins. I purchase just about everything. A lot of GL Pease, C&D, both the Gaiwth houses. Plenty of McClelland's even though they are milder in strength than I prefer. The flavor can make up for that lack of strength. Lots of recommendations in the forums. I even have jarred some cigars. :sunny:

Carlos is right and if you look at each one some tobacco is a better price at one over the others. Just an example here, smokingpipes on say FVF was best at $6.15 and others higher at something like $8.95 (not sure of their price, but several dollars higher). The on say 2015 bulk smokingpipes is $49 per pound and Mars is $39 per pound. So just look around and find wich is better for you and sometimes it may be one and the next time maybe another is better.

Skip

Im looking at some tins of westminster. one to open and one to store, i dunno. and some tins of dunhill early morning pipe and nightcap from the new shipments.

I would vote against getting Westminster and EMP, { others may disagree}
I have both, and for me the taste profiles are too similar to cellar both.
Go with Westminster & try something else from GLP like Chelsea Morning or Quiet Nights.

A couple of suggestions for the cellar

My favorites , & generally accepted as good Stuff

VaPers: Escudo , McConnell's Scottish Cake, GLP's Fillmore

VA. S.G. Full Virginia Flake { if you can find it !}; GLP's Union Square
McCrannies Red Ribbon & Red Flake

There are so many good/great blends out there, I'm sure others will give
you their top 5 or 10.

$12 +/- for a dozen pint Mason jars, and with the remainder, get two pounds of some good Va based C&D or P. Stokkebye flake, (with enough left over for a tin of something) and jar it up.

Natch