Help Picking Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tperoda85

Reaction score
Hey guys, so in June I'll be flying to Vegas, since Im in Canada, Im planning to bring back around 6 tins of tobacco. Im using it as a chance to try some new things, and round out the collections. So im doing some research on what I want to pickup while Im down there.

From what I've had so far (Dunhill Standard, Frog Mortons Across The Pond, Erinmore Flake) I would like to pickup:

English Va/Lat

Va/Burley

Va/Per

What are some must haves, or must try tobaccos?

Simply put... ALL OF THEM!! Everyone's taste is different. For me half the fun and adventure is trying new tobacco's. Luckily I have a tobacconist close by so I can try different blends all the time. I am going to create a check-off list of all the house tobacco that Milan Tobacconist offers and work my way through it. Don't be afraid to try something new/different because you might miss out on something you truly like.

Well, if you're talking about walking into a random B&M for these tins, it's hard to say that their selection will support all the recommendations we might make.

one of the best baccy collections I have enjoyed are the Nording Hunter Series. There is a tobacco blend in there for everyone.. from English to Aromatics. I just popped open a tin of Beagle last night. It is a sublime VaPer. I would recommend grabbing a tin of each. *sigh* I have to make my tin of Beagle last a while... Im on a self imposed hiatus from TAD. I only had one tin. Argh!!! Well at least I have 10 tins of Escudo I can smoke if I run out. :lol!:

Only 6 tins? Make the most of it and get as much as you can afford would be my recommendation.

Find the e-tailer of your choice, preferably one with free shipping once you reach a certain price point, and have it delivered to your hotel or where ever you're staying. Unless you're going to be somewhere that has some good B&M's that's your best bet. And there's a good case to be made for patronising a good B&M as well!

Cheers,

RR

tperoda85":3rlwyjgv said:
Hey guys, so in June I'll be flying to Vegas, since Im in Canada, Im planning to bring back around 6 tins of tobacco. Im using it as a chance to try some new things, and round out the collections. So im doing some research on what I want to pickup while Im down there.

From what I've had so far (Dunhill Standard, Frog Mortons Across The Pond, Erinmore Flake) I would like to pickup:

English Va/Lat

Va/Burley

Va/Per

What are some must haves, or must try tobaccos?
As much Blackwood's Flake and Virginia Woods as you can carry :twisted: :twisted:

Brewdude":bi3vr603 said:
Only 6 tins? Make the most of it and get as much as you can afford would be my recommendation.

Find the e-tailer of your choice, preferably one with free shipping once you reach a certain price point, and have it delivered to your hotel or where ever you're staying. Unless you're going to be somewhere that has some good B&M's that's your best bet. And there's a good case to be made for patronising a good B&M as well!

Cheers,

RR
I'm guessing he's only allowed to bring so much back into the country.

We get this question frequently...because its important.

So we sat down a while back and a number of guys selected blends in varying catagories...just the sort of thing you're asking. It's the bottom thread of the ones stuck above. Check it out.

Alright, here's my list. This is what I'd buy based on my tastes and what I see in b&m's frequently.

English Latakia/ Virginia:

I don't like much Latakia so I'd grab glp Key Largo a va/lat/cigar leaf blend. Or one of the McClelland Grand Orientals.

Virginia/Burley: I think C&D has many good Burley tins. I like their dark burleys. Some don't read too Virginia forward but it's varying degrees. I'd grab one of theirs.

Virginia/Perique: I love the Perique in Haddo's Delight. Davidoff flake medallions. HH Acadian Perique by MacB. Lots of the perique I smoke isn't straight vaper types and have other leafs. If I were looking for a more straight type I'd look for Solani #633 or escudo, maybe a McClelland.

My out of your category suggestion: McClelland Mature Virginia #24. A great Virginia with a bit of Drama!

These are all things I could go find by my house. My internet order would be different. Good luck and remember to let us know what you end up with.

If I were you, I would order what you want online (you're more likely to get what you want) and have it shipped to your hotel. More so than Erinmore and Dunhill, I'd recommend picking up at least 1 tin of something from GL Pease. I'd recommend Westminster or Haddo's Delight (simply divine with 2-3 years of age). I'd also recommend Seattle Pipe Clubs Plum Pudding from Pipes and Cigars (they sell it in tin form). I'd also recommend Three Oaks Syrian from McClelland. All of those recommendations are in the English range. Haddo's has some perique in it.

I think everyone's advice to go with an order is good for this situation. I like the idea of figuring out what I'd grab if I did a b&m restock though. It was fun.

If you're from Toronto, just go to Max Engel's store, and there you'll find the best tobaccos ever existed on the planet.
Comptons of Galashiels. You can't order them online if you're from Canada, but if you live in Toronto, you can buy them from the store. Best thing ever! No other tobacco can even get close to Comptons of Galashiels.

balkan_boy":7idtynfr said:
If you're from Toronto, just go to Max Engel's store,
Does Max have a shop? I thought he was just mail order. Even with with shipping your best bet is to mail order to your hotel. Other than going to the Vegas pipe show every year I've never thought of it as much of pipe town :shock:

balkan_boy":ziwxjrfp said:
If you're from Toronto, just go to Max Engel's store, and there you'll find the best tobaccos ever existed on the planet.
Comptons of Galashiels. You can't order them online if you're from Canada, but if you live in Toronto, you can buy them from the store. Best thing ever! No other tobacco can even get close to Comptons of Galashiels.
Just tracked that place down.

*whistle* at $35/100grams, they better be the best thing ever.

:lol:

That said - they are shut down as of March 1: http://www.cubancigars4u.com/blends.htm

Not sure what happened recently in Canada, but this may be why the OP is looking for US alternatives. Depending on the law changes - I'd be tempted to get more than 6 tins.

I have heard a lot of raves about Compton's, but $10.00 for an ounce of pipe tobacco = Cost Prohibitive. :tongue:  

Is Compton's good? I'll never know. :lol:

To the OP's question -

While it's tough to know exactly what a pipe shop in Vegas will have in stock, it might behoove you to call them in advance to see what they carry.

GLP latakia's are very nice, even nicer with some age on them. Not knowing what you prefer as far as flavor strength goes, it's tough to make a recommendation here, as his blends run the gamut from mellow, nuanced and smooth to meaty, complex and stout. There are a few GLP VA's and VaPers that I admire as well, Union Square, Embarcadero, Telegraph Hill and Stratford are all fine smokes. Cumberland is great too, if you like a bit more strength.

For VA's I really enjoy McClelland's offerings. Blackwoods Flake, Boston 1776, and Epitome are nice offerings. I also really enjoy Dark Star which is a heavily pressed, spicy dark stoved VA flake that requires a bit of meticulous preparation (not a set it & forget it blend). For VaPers, I'd look for Beacon or Beacon Extra (more perique), St. James Woods, Pebblecut and Tudor Castle which has a bit of Yenidje in it.

McClelland's latakia's are very solid but they are typically milder and sweeter tasting than the GLP mixtures. I enjoy Wilderness, British Woods, 3 Oaks Syrian, Cyprian Star, Bombay Court & most recently Oriental No.8 from their green label selection.      

Aside from Mac Baren Old Dark Fired and Solani Aged Burley Flake, I don't smoke many burleys.

My favorite VA forward VaBur - Solani Silver Flake 660.

Good luck on your adventures

DireWolf":g431ftz7 said:
Not sure what happened recently in Canada, but this may be why the OP is looking for US alternatives.  Depending on the law changes - I'd be tempted to get more than 6 tins.  
Damn, why does these things happen? Now Max Engel is off business too?

Here in Europe tobacco taxes are so high that $35 for 100 grams looks like a hell of a bargain.

I guess US is the only place left on earth where you can get decent tobacco at decent prices. Enjoy while you still can, and appreciate what you got there.

It's okay to walk in a shop with an acquisition plan, but you might be better off sizing up the person behind the counter and, if you judge it's not a waste of time, ask for recommendations. Some Internet sites -- Smoking Pipes, f'rinstance -- have "Our Top Ten Sellers" lists on their sites which might be a good place to start. Oh, wait, you've already started ... Well, you get the idea.