Hey Bible guys.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
Show me a pic of your bible. Don't need a sermon.. Don't need the athiest response. Just interested in seeing y'all's actual bibles.

C'mon, everybody needs a sermon, whether they know it, want it, or not.

I know, sorry, I wasn't supposed to just blather without pics. Nevermind...carry on. :oops:

puros_bran":e3kf4250 said:
Show me a pic of your bible.  Don't need a sermon.. Don't need the athiest response.  Just interested in seeing y'all's actual bibles.
I have about as many Bibles as I do pipes. So I have them in the car and at the office and by my chair. Some of them I like more than others, and some of them have sentimental value - my father's Bible or the one the evangelicals at school gave me when I took my sabbatical in 2008. The one I was given when ordained a deacon and directed to "proclaim the Gospel" is at church, since that is the one I will use while preaching.

The most recent one I have at home is a NRSV the bishop gave me when I was ordained a priest. This one was the closest one to the chair in the den. It is annotated, so it is a good one to use when glaring at the lectionary to work on one of those sermons I will spare you.

I took a picture on the phone, but it is not uploading to google+. I'll edit this to add the pic when it syncs.

Here are a few of mine:

IMG_20140520_081816_0481_zps53e7f3eb.jpg

I teach humanities and religious studies, so I have had lots of engagement with the text of the Bible over the years. I like to compare texts across translations, which is one reason I've acquired so many Bibles. My own preference is for the Authorized/King James Version, and that's what I use when I assign Biblical texts to my humanities students (primarily because of its influence on English language and the culture of the English-speaking world). My religious studies students get the JPS version when I'm teaching Judaism, or the RSV, which I find to be the most readable and accurate of the modern translations, when I'm teaching Christianity.

Like a few others I have a multitude.. Dare I say legion (haha) but my favorite.

My RL Allan Long Primer in Crimson Highland Goatskin.
Pics when I got it in February.

My second favorite.
A Schuyler Single Column NKJV in Brown Cantera Goatskin.
It may actually 'drape' better than the Allan but I'm currently unable to hold it out and hold a camera at the same time.

Drums and beer: if I actually believed you possessed that I would ask if there's anyway I could borrow it.

Boulder: it's got to be a real pic.  :tongue:  I will admit that the NJ is one of the few modern translations I do not own.. You do realize it's not approved by the USCCB for reading in the US?

puros_bran":2hblrcxb said:
Drums and beer: if I actually believed you possessed that I would ask if there's anyway I could borrow it.  
Oh, I do possess it. And it's an incredible piece of work..

Because it's R. Crumb, many people think it's a joke, but it seriously is the entire book of Genesis illustrated and it's fascinating.

Yes , I know. Everyone thought it would be a joke... He said something along the lines of "the original text was to strange to do anything but copy faithfully" or some such.

puros_bran":adwn65bc said:
Boulder:  it's got to be a real pic.  :tongue:     I will admit that the NJ is one of the few modern translations I do not own.. You do realize it's not approved by the USCCB for reading in the US?
Here's my copy of it, then:

njb_zps202919d2.jpg

This is the one I use, and also use when I teach 'Rome & Early Christianity' (although I allow students to use their own versions when we're going over 'Acts'). Alas, all my interesting translations (Wycliffe, Tyndale, etc) were lost in Katrina

Not religious but I have this one:

$_57.JPG

Moser%20Bible.jpg

images

Some excellent woodcut prints inside.