hey kyle? I cant find the "5th Ave" cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using a Forever Stem with a Diplomat. The pipe shows some cracking near the base of the bowl but no smoke is escaping. I may have to get several more as an insurance policy. The Forever Stem is great and they come in colors. Great for designating your pipe for certain tobaccos.

Phil

Yak":3i3xnb8m said:
Just a reminder that MM cobs now come with acrylic bits
A relatively recent development, and possibly in response to WBW ?

Pictures & a first-hand account would be neat !

:face:

What's to show, the new acrylic bits look and feel just like the old plastic bits, although they have a slightly different taste to them. But like I've said, the plastic bits were my favorites. They made the switch roughly a year ago.

tiltjlp":u7tgk7no said:
What's to show, the new acrylic bits look and feel just like the old plastic bits, although they have a slightly different taste to them. But like I've said, the plastic bits were my favorites. They made the switch roughly a year ago.
look for dusty ones on the shelf at your b&ms.... they have the old plastic ones!

Are the clear, yellow ones the plastic ones? The black bits I find commonly around are nice on the mouth, but I notice will get indentations (not to be confused with teeth chatter) in them... likely from them passing warm smoke and getting soft? *shrug* Doesn't affect much, actually makes a nice trough for a tooth. :lol: The yellow ones seem to be more solid.

Kyle Weiss":abeyizdf said:
I just like the standard-issue cob stems. The black plastic is fine, the old yellow plastic is fine. Both feel great on my teeth. Maybe one day I'll get a Walker Forever Stem, but for now? *shrug*

One peculiarity I do like to do is take pipes intended for bent stems and put straight stems on them. That little bit of an angle the shank turns up works much better with a straight stem to accommodate my overbite. The cob bent stem setups as-is almost put the bowl edge vertical if I clench it. :lol:
Same here.......great minds think alike :cheers:

As far as I know they're all acrylic now. I have an idea that the yellow ones had been made by adifferent supplier than the black ones when they were plastic, but I could be wrong.

tiltjlp":b49sxy65 said:
As far as I know they're all acrylic now. I have an idea that the yellow ones had been made by adifferent supplier than the black ones when they were plastic, but I could be wrong.
Are the yellow ones still being produced?

Kyle Weiss":o6nwf07o said:
Are the yellow ones still being produced?
Yep, the clear yellow are still produced, take a look at the Legend series pipes, they still have them. When MM sent me the 2 legends out here they tossed in 4 more yellow stems as well.

Good to hear. I now color-code my cobs, the yellow stems go on the Lat pipes, the black is for VA pipes. 8)

Kyle Weiss":c76tksgl said:
Good to hear. I now color-code my cobs, the yellow stems go on the Lat pipes, the black is for VA pipes. 8)

Sounds good, but I would need three colors.

One color for Lats, one color for VA's, and one color for Aromatics. :mrgreen:

Rob_In_MO":edfkrayo said:

Oh yes, how could I forget... :roll: When MM starts putting out clear stems I'll get right on that. Plus, since they'll yellow over time, they'll eventually change rank (literally). :lol: 8) If it makes you feel better, McC's FMC 2000 (my closest version of an aro) goes in my Washington I take in the field...black stem.

Kyle Weiss":m0gwinwj said:
Rob_In_MO":m0gwinwj said:

Oh yes, how could I forget... :roll: When MM starts putting out clear stems I'll get right on that. Plus, since they'll yellow over time, they'll eventually change rank (literally). :lol: 8) If it makes you feel better, McC's FMC 2000 (my closest version of an aro) goes in my Washington I take in the field...black stem.
Nevermind, I've come up with a simple solution to my problem....

Lat's = Yellow Stems
VA's = Black Stems
Aro's = Forever Stems

:cheers:

Rob_In_MO":lo4l8p12 said:
Nevermind, I've come up with a simple solution to my problem....

Lat's = Yellow Stems
VA's = Black Stems
Aro's = Forever Stems

:cheers:
you could always use a sharpie on the bottom of the bowl... or a nail to scratch into the bottom of the bowl or the shank. much cheaper

jefe has the answer, because my 2 Generals are about in the same condition, so I took a sharpie and wrote "lat" and "Va" on them the tell them apart.

But those are the only 2 that are the same, the others are all different in style.