HH Acadian Perique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
Anyone else enjoy smoking this blend? When I opened my first tin and gave it a whirl, my impression was that it was decent and that the perique was quite mellow. I was miffed as to why Mac Baren had named the blend Acadian Perique because mostly what I tasted was the Kentucky dart fired. I put the rest in a jar and man has it ever changed. This stuff is super. Sweet, briny, spicy, very flavorful and quite "periquey." I am impressed!

DrumsAndBeer":wmn3bs5v said:
Anyone else enjoy smoking this blend? When I opened my first tin and gave it a whirl, my impression was that it was decent and that the perique was quite mellow. I was miffed as to why Mac Baren had named the blend Acadian Perique because mostly what I tasted was the Kentucky dart fired. I put the rest in a jar and man has it ever changed. This stuff is super. Sweet, briny, spicy, very flavorful and quite "periquey." I am impressed!
Do you like Haddo's and Chennet's Cake?  I think I remember from other posts that you did but not sure.  If so, how does it compare to those?  I am a big fan of those two and like the idea of comparing similar blends.

Edit:  Just checked TobaccoReviews.  The oldest ones posted are from 2009.

:( :(

That means it will go the way of the Dodo soon.

I liked it when it first came out, and then grew tired of it. Hard to say why, perhaps just found it a bit one-dimensional in the VaPer category. It's been a while now since I've had it, so will ferret out the jar and give it another whirl. Thanks for the prompt Chris.

Cheers,

RR

I like it, one of the few Va/Per blends that doesn't bite me.

I like it a lot. Actually, I'm addicted to the point where I smoke it exclusively till the tin is empty. I like the perique and the slight topping it seems to have. Never tried the bulk. Wonder if it's as good? The possibility of it becoming "extinct" does not please me.

I got a tin when it came out, smoked a few bowls, and thought, 'meh, I do this at home with my BBQ Blend'. I tried it again a few months ago and decided to send it off with someone who really liked it. It's alright I guess, but moved it along before I let it age. Perhaps that might have made a difference?

I guess what I like most about it, is that it isn't a VaPer. It's much more of a "mixture" that just happens to have Virginia and perique in it. I like the nuances it has, and the room note it almost pleasant. But yeah, I detect just a touch of the Mac Baren Cavendish, slightly sweet but there's a lot of savory going on, and a briny green olive kind of thing. It's an interesting mixture. Usually blends with this many components are muddled tasting but to me this one has good flavor clarity. I don't know if age brought out the best with it, as much as a just a good old decanting. Open the tin, air the tobacco a bit and put it in a jar with more headroom for safe keeping, come back to it a bit later and find that all the finer flavors have some how arrived.

Fight'n Hampsters, Never had Chenet's Cake, but I love Haddo's. MacB's Acadian and Haddo's are akin in that they're both VaPer mixtures with 4-5 types of tobaccos, but flavor wise they are quite far a part. Haddo's has way more perique and is much spicier and more heady. AP has somewhere like 5% perique but it also has the Dark Fired KY that Mac Baren uses in Old Dark Fired and Vintage Syrian, so as the Wiz mentioned there's a dark, earthy BBQ/smoky thing going on with it.

DrumsAndBeer":8zc6n28u said:
This stuff is super. Sweet, briny, spicy, very flavorful and quite "periquey." I am impressed!
Mm, now that's piqued my interest DB. One to add to the ever growing list! Are you saying it's not a VaPer in its truest sense because its got the Cav added?

Stick":n7v6f3wh said:
Mm, now that's piqued my interest DB.  One to add to the ever growing list!  Are you saying it's not a VaPer in its truest sense because its got the Cav added?
Stick, more because of the Cav, plus the Oriental leaf and the dark fired. 5 different tobaccos altogether.

DrumsAndBeer":1ycv4atn said:
Stick":1ycv4atn said:
Mm, now that's piqued my interest DB.  One to add to the ever growing list!  Are you saying it's not a VaPer in its truest sense because its got the Cav added?
Stick, more because of the Cav, plus the Oriental leaf and the dark fired. 5 different tobacc7os altogether.
It's a surprisingly complex blend that tastes very uncomplicated. :lol!:

Yup, I like it with at least 2 years of age on it. Does not bite and a very smooth complex tasty smoke.
Chris, I agree it's more like a " mixture ", the cavendish and orientals bring this fine blend all together for a superb smoke.  Plus 3.5 oz. for under $18.00 is a bargain for this quality blend. This is a blend you MUST stock up, by the end of 2018 it will most likely be gone forever.
I've never, not to my recollection seen this blend in bulk...trying to think.... :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

PS, thanks Chris you made my mouth crave this blend. So I just popped a tin open. :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":p2bddbz4 said:
...I've never, not to my recollection seen this blend in bulk...trying to think.... :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Mars currently has it in one pound "factory units," which I suppose are not considered bulk on some sites.

Richard Burley ":prpp4foj said:
Mars currently has it in one pound "factory units," which I suppose are not considered bulk on some sites.
WOW, thanks for the info Rich!! It may be a one pound factory unit, a big tin it looks like. I wouldn't consider it bulk. Tomorrow I will give them a call and see if they can put a pound on hold for me, @ $62.75 for a pound seems high but it's all top quality tobacco's. That would be part of my $100.00 a month budget spent on tobacco's or a pipe.
Your my HERO....???...... :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Much less expensive at pipesandcigars.com and you can use the October discount code pcthanks17 on a $100 order for 20% off.

ak2000":ot6xi3t9 said:
Much less expensive at pipesandcigars.com and you can use the October discount code pcthanks17 on a $100 order for 20% off.
Thanks, but with the THREE major issues I had prior with P&C I would not do business with them again @ 75% off. Just don't trust them :evil: :eek:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":jh47tm5l said:
ak2000":jh47tm5l said:
Thanks, but with the THREE major issues I had prior with P&C I would not do business with them again @ 75% off. Just don't trust them :evil: :eek:
Yup. It's backordered there. Which means your chances of ever getting it are zilch, as opposed to near-zilch w/f'ups if they had it.