HH Acadian Perique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found the jar I had this in today, and loaded up a smallish estate Edwards author for a short smoke.

Liked it immensely. Burned a little hot, but then again the moisture content was a little on the low side (as I received it, and prefer), and the cut was virtually a shag. So slow cadence prevailed.

I also received this in bulk form, after being interested in the tinned version on the initial launch. Think I also read some threads about if the bulk was considered the same as the tinned, which had conflicting reviews. There again, I might be confusing this statement with some other blend. Hard to remember!

In any case, the HH AP smoked fine, and while I wouldn't necessarily consider it a strong candidate for the VaPer category, it's certainly complex enough with all the other elements to be worthy. Think Chris summed it up thus-

DrumsAndBeer":w279g7og said:
I guess what I like most about it, is that it isn't a VaPer. It's much more of a "mixture" that just happens to have Virginia and perique in it. I like the nuances it has, and the room note it almost pleasant. But yeah, I detect just a touch of the Mac Baren Cavendish, slightly sweet but there's a lot of savory going on, and a briny green olive kind of thing. It's an interesting mixture. Usually blends with this many components are muddled tasting but to me this one has good flavor clarity. I don't know if age brought out the best with it, as much as a just a good old decanting. Open the tin, air the tobacco a bit and put it in a jar with more headroom for safe keeping, come back to it a bit later and find that all the finer flavors have some how arrived.
That's as good an assessment as I could do Chris.

And Stick, me ol' mate.....you might just be able to taste this in due course. ;)

Cheers,

RR

DrumsAndBeer":fvve980e said:
I guess what I like most about it, is that it isn't a VaPer. It's much more of a "mixture" that just happens to have Virginia and perique in it. I like the nuances it has, and the room note it almost pleasant. But yeah, I detect just a touch of the Mac Baren Cavendish, slightly sweet but there's a lot of savory going on, and a briny green olive kind of thing. It's an interesting mixture. Usually blends with this many components are muddled tasting but to me this one has good flavor clarity. I don't know if age brought out the best with it, as much as a just a good old decanting. Open the tin, air the tobacco a bit and put it in a jar with more headroom for safe keeping, come back to it a bit later and find that all the finer flavors have some how arrived.

Fight'n Hampsters, Never had Chenet's Cake, but I love Haddo's. MacB's Acadian and Haddo's are akin in that they're both VaPer mixtures with 4-5 types of tobaccos, but flavor wise they are quite far a part. Haddo's has way more perique and is much spicier and more heady. AP has somewhere like 5% perique but it also has the Dark Fired KY that Mac Baren uses in Old Dark Fired and Vintage Syrian, so as the Wiz mentioned there's a dark, earthy BBQ/smoky thing going on with it.
That helps. I may give it a shot, not sure if I can afford to get hooked on another. :(

I recommend to ALL buy a 3.5 oz. tin for under $18.00 let it age for at least two yours and your palate and tongue will thank you. YES....it's that good :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

DrumsAndBeer":iyn7c221 said:
Stick":iyn7c221 said:
Mm, now that's piqued my interest DB.  One to add to the ever growing list!  Are you saying it's not a VaPer in its truest sense because its got the Cav added?
Stick, more because of the Cav, plus the Oriental leaf and the dark fired. 5 different tobaccos altogether.
Yup, gotcha DB. I do like the sound of this one!