Himalayan Salt slab cooking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakebound

Reaction score
Has anyone else tried to cook with a Himalayan Salt slab? We have found these blocks in stores near us and are already fans of using sea salt, Kosher salt as well as Himalayan salt to cook with as a healthier option.

We purchased one a couple of weeks ago and used it to cook steaks on using no seasoning other than pepper to taste. Because the slab is solid salt, when it is heated to 400 degrees (various methods, I used gas range top), the meat is flavored by the slab.

Our steaks were cooked with no additional heat after the slab reached proper temperature and then we were able to cook peppers, onions and mushrooms on the same slab.

Anyone else try this method?

Frank

Nope, but that sounds just wonderful! Where would one get such a slab?

I've seen a full sea bass cooked on one, but I didn't try it. I don't care for fish. I'd like to know the marketing team that managed to get Himalayan salt slabs in the home and kitchen. People use them like bricks in zen spaces. Salt rooms in the home for good energy etc. I'm not shitting on either idea, but you have to admit it is a feat to get these things to be a trend in cooking and DIY building.

Ozark Wizard":u7mj55qy said:
Nope, but that sounds just wonderful! Where would one get such a slab?
Here in Michigan, we purchased ours at a major grocery store called Meijer. At first I thought it was gimmicky but, it truly was a good experience for cooking for 1-4 people.

The slab probably would not stay hot enough for anything beyond that.

Frank

Zeno Marx":slqy4l74 said:
I've seen a full sea bass cooked on one, but I didn't try it.  I don't care for fish.  I'd like to know the marketing team that managed to get Himalayan salt slabs in the home and kitchen.  People use them like bricks in zen spaces.  Salt rooms in the home for good energy etc.  I'm not shitting on either idea, but you have to admit it is a feat to get these things to be a trend in cooking and DIY building.
If I had to guess, it would probably stem from the pink Himalayan salt craze. We've shifted away from iodized salt for good. We're eating healthier following a Paleo diet and iodized salt is a no no.

Frank