Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up on SciFi. :D The stuff from those days that still lingers in my bookshelf is mainly Stanislaw Lem. Solaris is the best of them, IMHO.

A cool short read is Stefano Benni's Baol. Made me guffaw aloud several times. Actually, if you indeed enjoy HItchhiker's Guide books, you might like this too - it's one step further to the direction of bizarre though. I think it's been translated to English - originally Italian (I've read the Finnish translation).

I'm a BIG fan of Hitchikers'. I love the books. But I really think that the best work Douglas Adams ever did was the original BBC radio series, which is available on disk.

I also like the BBC TV version much better than the movie that was released a couple of years ago.
:roll:
If you like Hitchikers' you might also like Adams' Dirk Gently series, including Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. The are not as good as Hitchikers', but quite entertaining.

Enjoy,
Bill

David Drake - if you like Military Sci-Fi

Redliners, or any of the Hammer's Slammers

For something older, I'm re-reading James Blish's trilogy "Cities in Flight"..

The Mote in God's Eye, probably the finest Sc-Fi novel written!! Was Hienlen's favorite :p

Orson Scott Card...Ender's Game and it's many sequels/parallel novels.

thanks for jogging my memory. i haven't read any orson scott in a while

i enjoyed hitchhikers because of the humor more than the scifi part of it. if that's the case read something by christopher moore. Lamb is a good one. unless you are devoutly religious and religous humor really offends you. he also has another book called Practical Demonkeeping that is good. i have yet to read a dud from him though so i'm a little biased. i recently rear slaughterhouse 5 and enjoyed it a bit too.

Here are a few authors that I have enjoyed over the years.
Gregory Benford
Sean McMullen
Sarah Zettel
Andre Norton

The Forever War, Almost anything from Peter F Hamilton (perhaps the only book of his I was unimpressed by was Market forces, making executives fight each other to death for jobs... nice idea just a bit dull compared to his other works). If you don't mind going a bit lowbrow / young adult there is a very good star wars trilogy by Timothy Zahn that takes up after the end of return of the Jedi, its quite old now and Lucas lifted a number of his ideas for the prequels (and then utterly ruined them btw). Anyhow, its the Thrawn trilogy, starting with Heir to the Empire. 'Do androids dream of electronic sheep?' is another good one. Neuromancer is classic which was required reading for me at university. Oh Richard Morgan's altered carbon is also really good.