Hitting the 100 lbs. Milestone

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
A major focus in the hobby for me over the past three years or so has been amassing a cellar which, if all goes well, will serve to provide a firm foundation and hedge for many years to come.

I now have an update to a brief illustrated report I made about this in July of last year (https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t9211-the-cellar-she-s-a-growin):

With an order just placed with SP, my cellar just now hit the big 100 lbs. milestone. Strange as it sounds, according to my spreadsheet it will be exactly at 100.01 lbs. once the brown truck arrives later this week and everything has been properly accessioned. For those out there who 'deep cellar', I am sure you certainly know how much of a milestone the big 100 can be. Finally reached it. Yay!

Now, the big question: what's next?

What's next?,,,,how about some of every tobacco worldwide,,,,

100 lbs is quite a sizable investment in time AND money,,,I wonder how many here have reached or are close to that goal,,,
I don't have a clue on my cellar due to the fact I just keep shoving it in a dark closet,,,maybe I'm scared of the investment so far or fear disappointment at my lack of forsight and stockpiling,,,anyway congratulations

Kapnismologist":il2xgobs said:
For those out there who 'deep cellar', I am sure you certainly know how much of a milestone the big 100 can be. Finally reached it. Yay!

Now, the big question: what's next?

Next, your weight in tobacco, then 100 kilos, then...I don't know what's after that. :lol:

Congratulations on the 100 pound level. :cheers:

Way to go great job. When I hit 100lbs my next goal was 150lbs then 200 now 250. Enjoy your trip.

Congrats. I remember hitting the 100lb mark and was doing cartwheels from the excitement. Now I'm almost at 150lbs.............

congrats!You have reached a milestone.A good thing that makes you happy.You can never have too much of a good thing.ENJOY1

wow... I wonder how you are going to be able to smoke it all?

djf1":xb6c2cvg said:
Smoke it all? I were to stop buying and just draw down the cellar, I would have a bit less than a decade's worth at my average consumption rate. Since the actuarial tables say I'll be around quite a bit longer than a decade, then it would only make sense to continue to add to the cellar. One would suppose that an eventual draw down would happen in my twilight years, much like I plan to do with my retirement accounts, no? Should for some ungodly reason I give up the pipe before that, I can always and quite easily sell off the entire cellar.

This brings up the question of the reasons for cellaring in the first place. I see four main reasons for 'deep cellaring'. First, as a hedge against the possible disappearance of favorite blends. Second, as a hedge against the inevitable increase in tobacco taxes at all levels (which certainly has and will continue to outpace inflation, and unlike returns on investments, it is a certainty). Third, the potential increasing difficulty of easy and cost-effective acquisition. And, fourth, the generally accepted fact that aged tobacco is more often than not, well, the nectar of the gods.

Kap don't forget if you ever lose your job and can't afford to buy tobbaco, or when you retire and are living on a fixed income. Unless those are include in reason 3.

Kapnismologist":y8teyl0n said:
djf1":y8teyl0n said:
This brings up the question of the reasons for cellaring in the first place. I see four main reasons for 'deep cellaring'. First, as a hedge against the possible disappearance of favorite blends. Second, as a hedge against the inevitable increase in tobacco taxes at all levels (which certainly has and will continue to outpace inflation, and unlike returns on investments, it is a certainty). Third, the potential increasing difficulty of easy and cost-effective acquisition. And, fourth, the generally accepted fact that aged tobacco is more often than not, well, the nectar of the gods.
cool... have not thought of that approach... just the shear volume of it made me wonder if you intend to smoke it or store it for future resale. Wish i could start doing it too, but its kind of hard with a non supporting wife :x

Kapnismologist":bguab47l said:
djf1":bguab47l said:
Smoke it all? I were to stop buying and just draw down the cellar, I would have a bit less than a decade's worth at my average consumption rate. Since the actuarial tables say I'll be around quite a bit longer than a decade, then it would only make sense to continue to add to the cellar. One would suppose that an eventual draw down would happen in my twilight years, much like I plan to do with my retirement accounts, no? Should for some ungodly reason I give up the pipe before that, I can always and quite easily sell off the entire cellar.

All good reasons. I've somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 lbs. cellared, for exactly these reasons! I started collecting tobacco in earnest maybe three years ago, and haven't regretted it at all. I suspect the spate of regulations prohibiting internet sales might continue -- I think Washington State and Maryland have them -- making acquisitions more difficult.

Tim_Haggerty said:
Kapnismologist said:
djf1":ah2j8j5f said:
... I suspect the spate of regulations prohibiting internet sales might continue ...
Good plan, and wishing you much luck with continued growth! 75 lbs. is certainly nothing to sneeze at!

What is you mention above is something which worries me quite a bit.

Cuervo25_1":84l9xh3y said:
Kap don't forget if you ever lose your job and can't afford to buy tobbaco, or when you retire and are living on a fixed income. Unless those are include in reason 3.
Quite right. Good point!

Reason no. 3 has more to do with potentially more restrictive regulations regarding internet sales, interstate shipping, and such like (a la Washington state or Maryland).

What's especially impressive is that Kap's collection is neither a random sampler nor a tunnel-vision stockpile. It's a diverse but focused portfolio of flavors that he's really researched. Long-time BoB'ers know--and could track--how he built this cellar while smoking blend after blend to find what fit best, and selling off what didn't work. Young pipemen, take note, that's the way to go about building a deep cellar--with thought and method, following taste buds and not trends.

Kap, I salute you and your careful palate--here's hoping there's always more than enough in your cellar.

Doc Manhattan":lbibwgyw said:
... It's a diverse but focused portfolio of flavors that he's really researched ... with thought and method, following taste buds and not trends.
Thanks for the kudos and good wishes, Doc. Astute as ever (or, you simply know way too much about the regulars on this board)! The metaphor of an (investment) portfolio is quite on target.

Just as with an investment portfolio, as to the issue of method I do indeed proceed with the an assumption that fine-tuning (i.e., "rebalancing") needs to occur on an on-going basis. Thus, for example, I keep track of the relative percent allocation of genres in the cellar and make annotations for each and every blend in the spreadsheet. On the latter, there are four possible annotations for any one blend: 1) Cellar; ready; 2) Cellar; allow to age; 3) Do not cellar; sell; 4) Do not cellar; allow to age. In the interests of fine-tuning, an annotation may change as I re-visit a particular blend or a newer/older vintage of the same, etcetera.

Above all, this is an aspect of the hobby from which I derive a great deal of pleasure.