Homemade filter adapter?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyLaVen

Reaction score
Has anybody successfully made their own filter adapter/insert for a 6mm filter pipe? No shops locally carry them and I don't really want to spend 10+ bucks online. I don't usually use a filter and it's not a problem, except this new 1/2 bent pipe I have won't pass a pipe cleaner because it gets stuck inside the shank/mortise, presumably where it is machined to accept the filter. Even when the stem is out it's a bit of a struggle... I'm thinking that having an adapter in there will help guide the cleaner. How heat resistant would the material need to be? Is food-grade necessary? Thanks in advance for help and advice!

Hobby shops should carry stainless or aluminium tubing in the size required.

Jim

I'd smoke it as is. I had a filter pipe and I tried a adapter and it really messed up the draw. The other thing I tried and liked better than a charcoal filter was to open up a paper filter by sticking a pipe cleaner through it. I doubt you'll get a pipe cleaner through even with an adapter. :shock:

ShortyLaVen":h1gitbkz said:
I don't usually use a filter and it's not a problem, except this new 1/2 bent pipe I have won't pass a pipe cleaner because it gets stuck inside the shank/mortise, presumably where it is machined to accept the filter. Even when the stem is out it's a bit of a struggle... I'm thinking that having an adapter in there will help guide the cleaner.
I don't think an adapter is going to solve this problem. In a bent pipe, I often have to tweak the end of the cleaner and rotate it slightly to get it to work if I don't want to dissemble. If it is a challenge when the stem is out, you may have something else going on.

Fr_Tom":0e78qwyp said:
ShortyLaVen":0e78qwyp said:
I don't usually use a filter and it's not a problem, except this new 1/2 bent pipe I have won't pass a pipe cleaner because it gets stuck inside the shank/mortise, presumably where it is machined to accept the filter. Even when the stem is out it's a bit of a struggle... I'm thinking that having an adapter in there will help guide the cleaner.
I don't think an adapter is going to solve this problem. In a bent pipe, I often have to tweak the end of the cleaner and rotate it slightly to get it to work if I don't want to dissemble. If it is a challenge when the stem is out, you may have something else going on.
As FrTom says. This aspect of full bent pipes has kept me to owning one or two over the years. I've found that this wet aspect of smoking seems to be somewhat standard for full bent pipes. :twisted: :twisted:

Yeah as others have mentioned in my experience it's still a bit of a pain with an adapter. I've got a bent billiard from Savinelli that's annoying that way. The Filter adapter makes the draw a bit too tight for my tastes and it's a very fiddly operation to get a pipecleaner even most of the way down the stem.

Currently I've just given in and use the balsa wood filters. You can't pass a pipecleaner through it anyways and it does a pretty good job of keeping the gurgles at bay.

Still it does keep that pipe to a pretty infrequent rotation.

Thanks for the replies, guys! Fr_Tom, I think you are right... The smaller hole looks to be slightly off-center from the bigger hole, if that makes sense... So to that effect I suppose an adapter would not help my problem at all. I do really like both the glass and aluminium ideas, though, and will remember that for the future! I'm also glad to know that bent pipes have this kind of issue anyways... Makes me feel better anyways! 8) I'm not really sure how I feel about them yet...