House got robbed today

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a fair chance they'll hit again. It would be cool if you could capture them and torture them for a few days. When they expire, skin 'em out and tan their hides. You could make tobacco pouches or resole your Gucci loafers. I doubt if many would actually do this, but it's the first thing that comes to mind. My mind, anyhow.

Bummer man...Sorry to hear that...

We had an old house of ours broken into years ago but they only wanted the copper plumbing...so, thankfully, nothing a personal sentimental value was taken.

Sorry to hear about that, though, let us know if there is anything we can do.

That really sucks. I know it's hard--my parents were just broken into and lost some sentimental jewelry and a little bit of cash. All this happened right after my mom's first chemo treatment, so the timing couldn't have been worse.
What a horrid example of the selfishness that we all exhibit in one way or another.

Josh,

Sorry to hear this man.

This past year, we had a rash of break-ins in my neighborhood. Unfortunately the perps weren't a bunch of reckless kids bored out of their minds, but a rather organized group of gang members and their young initiates looking for tools, keys to vehicles and electronics.

Here's a bit of what I learned after all we went through -

Make your place less of a target by bolstering up the easy entry points. Put wooden dowels in the windows, and glass sliders if you have them.

Get to know your neighbors. That way you're looking out for one another. Let them know when you're out of town, etc.  Eventually you can give them a key to your house, so you don't have to hide one under that rock that looks so out of place among the others.

Install security screens over your doors. They're a couple hundred a pop, easy to install, and you can keep your front and back solid doors open in the spring and summer and still have security

A dog is good, especially if your neighbor's don't have one. One good protective dog barking from behind a gate, regardless of its size, is enough to keep thieves away from your place and your neighbor's. Also they're more fun and loving than ADT.

We had the same car broken into twice. The first time they got a GPS which had been left on the dash - I know - It should not have been left there, but sometimes you have your hands full and you are distracted.

We got the window fixed, etc. Six months or so later, it happens again - same Buick Park Avenue, same window. My wife is also an Episcopal priest and she had left a briefcase on the back seat. They opened that that and rifled the contents. There was nothing much there but an old school dead tree planner, some ballpoint pens a cheap calculator, AND a set of copies of St. Augustine's Examinination of Conscience . She was conducting a workshop on preparing a sacramental confession and had the copies to hand out.

The second time, we thought nothing was stolen. My wife discovered later one copy of the Examinination of Conscience had been taken. She was one short at the workshop and had made exactly the number she would need.

Now... We have not had another car broken into. Maybe the thief made use of the workshop materials and turned from his wicked ways? Who knows?

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

It had to be within this exact window of time within the 2 hrs because it was fine before the yoga class and she noticed the sliding door open when she got back. Unfortunately, this means that the gun would not have been all that helpful. I do agree though, that if they were there it'd be a shoot to kill situation. (But then it'd be home invasion, not burglary and they probably wouldn't have gotten far enough to have stolen anything by that point.)

They clearly waited or showed up as soon as she was out of the house. Not clear if they planned it by casing our area, but she hadn't taken the car with her. We lock everything up as usual, but you could still get in other ways and they apparently did that. There were no fingerprints, but the bathroom window screen had been removed by force after they punched/cut a hole in it.

As far as we could tell they were just looking for jewelry/small valuables. We're aware that they tend to come back, so we had put dowels in the window tracks and are getting padlocks for the gates. The security camera option seems to be pretty straightforward to do too.

Nobody heard anything, but our neighbors were apparently home at the time. We told them about it and the ones across too. Recently, there had been another couple break-ins too where this same neighbor actually tackled the guy who had tried to get in and steal guns. They caught him down the street where he had the keys to another house around the corner.

I think the worst part of it was that it was my wife's birthday. I felt really bad for her, but we all tried not to be paranoid. It put a damper on dinner, but the owner of the restaurant comped our drinks and one of the desserts. Now we have to regroup and fortify.

I hope it never happens to anyone, but if it does, make sure you're ready unlike us.

That really sucks, Josh. It happened to me about a year ago. It took longer to get over that boiling anger for the personal violation than the loss of property. I lost my tv, computer, camera, some tools, and a certain speargun that hade some fame here. Otherwise I considered myself lucky. My gun safe was secure, and many other things were overlooked or ignored by the ignorant. My tobacco locker had been opened but otherwise left alone, and my '70s vintage Pioneer stereo and record collection was untouched. I guess it pays to be into old and obscure things that evade the interest of casual thieves with no real talent for appraisal.
I hope you recover quickly from this, and have no further trouble.

mejoshee":vx8q5f32 said:
Thanks for all the helpful comments.

It had to be within this exact window of time within the 2 hrs because it was fine before the yoga class and she noticed the sliding door open when she got back. Unfortunately, this means that the gun would not have been all that helpful. I do agree though, that if they were there it'd be a shoot to kill situation. (But then it'd be home invasion, not burglary and they probably wouldn't have gotten far enough to have stolen anything by that point.)

They clearly waited or showed up as soon as she was out of the house. Not clear if they planned it by casing our area, but she hadn't taken the car with her. We lock everything up as usual, but you could still get in other ways and they apparently did that. There were no fingerprints, but the bathroom window screen had been removed by force after they punched/cut a hole in it.

As far as we could tell they were just looking for jewelry/small valuables. We're aware that they tend to come back, so we had put dowels in the window tracks and are getting padlocks for the gates. The security camera option seems to be pretty straightforward to do too.

Nobody heard anything, but our neighbors were apparently home at the time. We told them about it and the ones across too. Recently, there had been another couple break-ins too where this same neighbor actually tackled the guy who had tried to get in and steal guns. They caught him down the street where he had the keys to another house around the corner.

I think the worst part of it was that it was my wife's birthday. I felt really bad for her, but we all tried not to be paranoid. It put a damper on dinner, but the owner of the restaurant comped our drinks and one of the desserts. Now we have to regroup and fortify.

I hope it never happens to anyone, but if it does, make sure you're ready unlike us.
keys? any chance that the folks who have been robbed get their vehicles serviced at the same location? or valet park at the same location? places where someone could copy keys and it not be noticed?

Bullwinkle":ht9a34ig said:
keys?  any chance that the folks who have been robbed get their vehicles serviced at the same location?  or valet park at the same location?  places where someone could copy keys and it not be noticed?  
In that case, the thief weaseled into the other house through the open side door of the garage, stole the keys, then came back later for stuff. Tried to do it again across the street, but he was home at the time and saw him walk by the kitchen window. He was apprehended.

why are folks leaving their doors unlocked, garage doors open, etc..  it ain't the 50's no more.  if i'm in the garage the front and back doors are locked.. if I'm out back having a pipe and a drink the front door is locked and the garage door down.  I would get the neighbors together and put a block watch in place.  get to know your neighbors.  everyone exchange phone numbers. if soccer mom is home all day and see's a van down the street at mary's house and she knows mary she could give mary a heads-up.

Speaking of garage doors, I saw this somewhere the other day.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kSO_HTBHLFI" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That sucks brother. I had my tv stolen about 3 years ago, sucked hard. They came in through an open window. Had to be some one I knew because I have two dogs. One is a standard size ,around the size of a lab, and the other around 15 pounds and they bark up a storm but never bite. Most opportunist tend to avoid multiple barking dogs.

As a cop let me tell you...Never testify you shoot to kill an intruder. Say you were in fear for your life and testify you shoot to stop to stop to stop the action of the perp. Also lawyer up on the scene. You are not obligated to speak to the police until you speak to a lawyer. I also advise you to get a large well trained dog. I have a large furry razorblade named Maggie. She is a pit. Gentle as a lamb unless you attempt entry to my house while my family is not home. If I say the secret word she goes into combat mode. Otherwise she is a crumb snatcher and cover stealer.

So if I'm reading right, this happened in daylight, and the timing sounds conveniently coordinated with your missus' activities. I'd suspect neighbors. I have a friend on the city police force, and he says he is amazed at the number of people who park on the street in the city, leave parking meter change in an open cubby and return to find a smashed window and small change missing. "Who would smash my window for fifty cents?" they cry. "Look up and down this street," replies my pal. "You can answer your own question." Put deadbolts on every door and dowels in slider and window tracks. Be glad your missus didn't walk in on the perps who, chances are, were addled on drugs. Sorry this happened to you.

Sorry for your bad luck. It's an awful feeling, but thank God that your wife arrived after the break-in.

I just ordered a security system from SimpliSafe.com - the price is reasonable, you install it (no phone wires that can be cut). Monitoring is anywhere from $15 - $25 a month depending on what you what and can be canceled anytime without penalty. Good Luck!

Wow. I just ran across this thread. I've been popping in with less frequency lately as the two little ones are being overly demanding of Daddy's alone time. Nonetheless, that really sucks, Josh. The worst part is that even though the stuff is often replaceable, the peace of mind is difficult to get back. I would echo the dog sentiment, as they're great defenders of property, great friends, and just well... Great! Alongside of that, take a look at dropcam. They're right around $100 and will send alerts to your phone if motion is detected. You can also pay a monthly fee for dvr service. We use them for baby monitors and they're really pretty awesome. Just to weigh in on the arming yourself point, while it doesn't help when no one is home, here in Illinois, we also have the law swing if they're inside your home, they kind of forfeit their right to life. As a good police officer friend of mine says,"just make sure when we show up, there's only one side to the story." Here's wishing you some serenity and hopefully a speedy return to peace of mind.

Wow, that stinks!

I did appreciate the garage door tip and will be securing my door tonight via zip-tie. (also glad my door does not have windows....)