House of Calabash

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet Dottle

Reaction score
I just came across this site, but I've heard very little about the blender (Steven Brooks) and nothing about the the blends. There are no reviews on tobaccoreviews.com. The blends are a bit expensive (some of them more than just a bit). Did anyone try them? If so, are they really worth the price?

Books is probably a fantastic blender of fantastic tobaccos. But when I can get a pound of good tobacco (GH, for example) for the same price as he sells an ounce, I say I don't think so.

Hard to disagree with you, Alfredo.

It seems that he uses aged tobacco to mix his blends, which may be the justification for the high prices charged. But many (most?) blenders also use leaf that has been stored for many years. From recent posts in Bob, it's my understanding that the leaf must be very dry to be preserved in storage, to prevent it from fermenting or changing significantly, meaning that it will not age in the same way that a packaged blend would. I would consider paying a premium price for an aged blend, but I'm hesitant to do it for a fresh blend, even if made with old tobaccos. Like you said, there are many excellent blends out there that cost but a fraction of what Steven B. charges...

I'd highly recommend Steven Brooks. A Mater Blender like in the Houses of Old. He has also been known to recreate a blend based on nose alone. He's a phenomenal addition to our pipe community. There is none better.

That's the dilemma, Kashmir: he is highly praised by all, therefore making it hard to dismiss the high prices too promptly.

I'll admit his prices are a bit on the high side. And accordingly most of my smokes come from the House of McClelland or the nobel conglomerate of Cornell & Diehl. I think if either went out of business I'd break my pipes!

I highly recommend his blends and visiting his shop if your in the area. His prices are probably a result of Oregon taxes. They are about what we pay per oz here in California, definitely due to taxes!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

I've smoked two of his blends and they are outstanding. I know a guy who's smoked them all (I got my samples from him) and he swears by them; and this fellow has great taste in tobacco. The Irishman's 5 O'Clock is real close to the old Balkan Sobranie, smooth and very flavorful.

I don't contest his skill, his products or his prices, but I don't need the ultra ultra ultra product to savor a pipe.

I hope his expertise is still available in 2020. My astrologer predicts riches.

loneredtree":kshu8ile said:
I hope that we are all available in 2020 :joker:
And if we are available, that we can actually still purchase pipe tobacco in 2020.

Had several of Steve Books blends, and the man definitely knows what he is all about!

Prices? Ya, they're pretty spendy.

Seems like it's a matter of Oregon taxes, rare 'baccy, and his skill as a Master Blender.

Is it worth it? Up to the purchaser.

:p (requisite monbla emoticon)

Cheers,

RR