How about a Match disscussion?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took me a second, Stan. Good one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

EJinVA":g8o0uol0 said:
You wouldnt believe it, I found the genuine strike anywhere matches at a hippie whole foods shop(that displayed Obama posters during the election) within a block of work. The kitchen size in a three pack for $3.50, I bought three packs(just in case).
Do not look directly into the irony there folks... Move along Move along

I have no problem getting them, strike on box type, we used to call them "penny matches", last time I bought them, $.69 per ten boxes, It's all or 90% I've ever used, feel like a wimp lighting a pipe with a lighter! :D :tongue: Ken
Pacem en Striking! :tongue:

pipetongue1":6qc1hk2f said:
I have no problem getting them, strike on box type, we used to call them "penny matches", last time I bought them, $.69 per ten boxes, It's all or 90% I've ever used, feel like a wimp lighting a pipe with a lighter! :D :tongue: Ken
Pacem en Striking! :tongue:
That's what I had been using, but found the quality was so bad, out of one ten pack at least three boxes were unusable because of the lack of igniter on the end. Not a lot of dough, just the frustration of it. Maybe it was just one bad batch, who knows.

Oddly enough, I've had good luck with the Stop & Sop (grocery store) brand kitchen matches. Fewer duds than an equivalent box of Diamond, and the wood is a little sturdier.

Wide Awake":epx0c3jv said:
EJinVA":epx0c3jv said:
You wouldnt believe it, I found the genuine strike anywhere matches at a hippie whole foods shop(that displayed Obama posters during the election) within a block of work. The kitchen size in a three pack for $3.50, I bought three packs(just in case).
Do not look directly into the irony there folks... Move along Move along
Oh, it's ok for them to have them, just not everyone else. They've been enlightened by the Obama!

:lol!:

Last time I bought matches, I bought $40 worth of smoking matches, mostly Swan. But a lot are those long matches that you can get an initial light, then tamp, and light again off the same match. I have been giving them away, a box here, a box there.

From what i've found out the Swans come from Sweden and can't be imported any longer. Something like that is what I was looking for, you can order similar ones from custom print/advertising companies, but you have to order thousands at a time. That's how the B&M's get them I suppose.

The Diamond strike-on-box large kitchen matches are just fine and, in my view, were always superior to the Swan Vestas: they're easier to light, are longer, and the box strike area stays in good shape until the last match. They're much cheaper, too. The strike-anywhere kind, however, is poor because the white tip can detach itself from the burning match and fall off into the pipe (or on your clothes :cry: ). I'm a match guy and prefer them over a butane lighter, but I admit there were a few incidents where the match broke on strike and caused damage to clothes and furniture. Nonetheless... :)

I would love to find out where Nat Sherman's in Manhattan gets their matches. they come in an extra wide, shallow box, and they are truly a remarkable pleasure to use. With just the lightest pressure and a short distance along the striker, the matches leap to life with enthusiasm. I actually brought them to a party once and was showing some of my friends how great they were, and everyone agreed.

EJinVA":jjzxh6f7 said:
From what i've found out the Swans come from Sweden and can't be imported any longer.
Well what else would you expect. Obama and Tiger Woods are good friends! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am also a match person I buy Dimond matches down at hanscom air force base for 52c a ten pack i have never had a problem with them not lighting or the head falling off. I did have a problem with soem elchepos that looked like Dimonds I bougt at a covience store for a trip to the bahamass. So there I am sitting on my front porch on this tiney island
of the coast of abico island in the bahamass enjoying rum and tonic; i go to smoke my pipe (at the time i had a full beard that was quite long). "you can see were this is going" well I lit my match and the head breakes off and goes in my beard all of a suden woosh the left side of my beard is on fire! I take my drink and though it in my face but that did not fully put it, out so i ran a few feet and dove into the ocean. So I end up for the rest of the week (razorless) with half a beard, till on my secnd to last day i was able to find a place with razors on one of the islands.

Looking back its a riot!!!

The Diamond Matches are now made in India,they break so easy and launch
fireballs in your direction.
When I was a kid we used to ride around on our bikes setting people's leaf
piles afire with those strike anywheres,those things worked.

Winslow :sunny:

Jack Straw":w4f8eq0w said:
I would love to find out where Nat Sherman's in Manhattan gets their matches. they come in an extra wide, shallow box, and they are truly a remarkable pleasure to use. With just the lightest pressure and a short distance along the striker, the matches leap to life with enthusiasm. I actually brought them to a party once and was showing some of my friends how great they were, and everyone agreed.
I wish I could tell you, but the last time I was there my wife spoke up and demanded they put as many matches in the bag as they could muster. I have to agree they are the best matches I've used...but I'm an Old Boy convert now, it's just too convient now compared to struggling with matches.

Sometimes PipesandCigars.com includes a few boxes of matches with my order. These matches heads are entirely white. They strike great and burn great. Wish I had a source for them all the time. Anyone know where I could buy them?
Stan

stan41":1qexf81c said:
Sometimes PipesandCigars.com includes a few boxes of matches with my order. These matches heads are entirely white. They strike great and burn great. Wish I had a source for them all the time. Anyone know where I could buy them?
Stan
That's exactly what I'm looking for.

don't know the quality but on the back cover of the iwan ries catalog they show (pipe) matches. think i saw other (longer, cigar?) matches buried somewhere else in their catalog but it's not at hand so i can't say exactly where.
i use the smaller diamond strike-on-box matches and curse their unreliability! jrtaster/john

My supply of good freebee matches has all but depleted.
Yesturday after paying at the local B&M she asked if i needed matches........and proceeded to throw a couple boxes of diamonds in
the bag :!: I too am on the hunt for some good ones. :scratch: